tegunulgener

squeaky brakes...

Since last 3 weeks, rear brakes are squeaking any time I brake in any condition. Cold, warm, wet, dry, slow driving but not fast driving. This happens only when I apply the brakes. I was reading and many owner has squeaky brakes. I wonder is it under warranty or abnormal wear or anything else. The car has around 12000 miles on the clock... I checked the rotors and front ones has more wear than rears. I didn't notice any scratches or discolouring or rust. I was having squeaky brakes before intermittently but now it is getting louder and every time when I apply the brakes I can hear them squeaking. Any suggestions?

It's just the pad material. Nothing you can realistically do. Mine squeak all the time (when I'm braking). I think I've just got used to it. 

Your other option is to change to non standard brake pads. That might help. 

Yeah, mine squeaks a lot, what I find though is that after you've washed the car, the car usually don't squeak that much....but it's only temporary, it'll start squeaking again in no time  :P

Yeah, mine squeaks a lot, what I find though is that after you've washed the car, the car usually don't squeak that much....but it's only temporary, it'll start squeaking again in no time  :P

I think this is something to do with the instant coating of light rust that forms after washing the car, seems to clean the pads up a bit and hence reduce the squeal...

(the content in this post has not been scientifically proven)

Hmm... So it is the material. But this is annoying. I think I can not do anything but replacing them. I think I can't be bothered. Strangely MR2 had quiet brakes both genuine Toyota and budget Mintex ones as I tried many different brands. Very strange I mean why it is squeaky material? Any reason? Maybe cheaper for Toyota to produce?

@keelrad: I mostly (70%) use engine break and I usually don't apply brakes unless I don't need to. However, when I need to they squeak lol  :D  :P

It's the pad material.  Or they need to design some anti-squeal shims. Either way the only way to stop is to change the pads.

Mine squeal all the time. I've just got used to it now.

Hello All,

Is the squeaking from the rear or front?My new demo was squealing really loudly from the o/s/r.So on a quiet afternoon we stripped the rear brakes on both sides and refaced & copper greased the pads,also re chamfered each edge.It lasted around 200 miles then it has returned but nowhere near as bad as it was,just an occasional squeak in slow moving traffic,the same as i have had on all 5 GTs. :)

There will be a field fix for it eventually if enough of the network has put in product reports to TGB.As Lauren says,it will involve fitting some kind of antisqueal shim to the pad backing i would imagine. :)          

£25000+

Brand new...

Head turner and fun to drive...

Safe...

Toyota-Subaru (not saying that it has low quality but surprising on issues below...)

Squeaky brakes...

Chirping engine...

I think I am going to live with that for a while. I don't want to change the brake pads as they are not bothering me enough to pay extra for quiet ones. I again can't be bothered to have HPFP replaced as I don't want to use a curtesy for number of days. Alas, after a while the noise will be back.

Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread I'm sure there was a newer one but I can't find it anywhere (maybe tied in with someones project/mods thread  :huh: )

Just thought I would close this issue off for people looking in the future:

There is a TSB for the squeaking brakes (front only) issued on the 16/02/2015 that instructs the dealer to replace with new pads. The new pads will use a different friction material which has a lower coefficient of friction so if you can't stand the squeal you will lose some braking performance (you should be told this by the dealer before they replace them).

There, apparently, will be no change to production so new cars will still have the original pads, so if you are replacing due to wear you should still also get the old pads.

This fix is covered by warranty.

Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread I'm sure there was a newer one but I can't find it anywhere (maybe tied in with someones project/mods thread  :huh: )

Just thought I would close this issue off for people looking in the future:

There is a TSB for the squeaking brakes (front only) issued on the 16/02/2015 that instructs the dealer to replace with new pads. The new pads will use a different friction material which has a lower coefficient of friction so if you can't stand the squeal you will lose some braking performance (you should be told this by the dealer before they replace them).

There, apparently, will be no change to production so new cars will still have the original pads, so if you are replacing due to wear you should still also get the old pads.

This fix is covered by warranty.

When my car was in for a service I did say about the pads and was told I could only buy the new pads and have them fitted no warranty was ever suggested

The GT86 standard pads are designed to work under hotter conditions than most road cars. The down side is that if they are not used in their indended heat range, they can glaze and squeek. If you bed the pads in well enough, squeeking shouldnt be a problem.

Bedding in requires medium/heavy braking from about 70mph down to about 20mph, a few times repeatedly to the point were the breaks are very hot. When the pads are hot they hould have transferred a nice layer to the disc.

Repeated use without getting hot enough (i.e driving around town) will glaze the pads and cause squeek.

I rebed mine fairly often and never had issue with squeek.

Most people using track pads spend the first session bedding in the pads as they need to get very hot (800C+)

Anyone with a BBK and track pads will tell you they squeal like a dieing pig. Work lovely when they warm up on track though. There is no duel use braking system, only compromise between raod and track and the one toyobaru made was a more track orientated pad for a car that might be tracked.

It is not a defect or design flaw. It was a design decision!

When my car was in for a service I did say about the pads and was told I could only buy the new pads and have them fitted no warranty was ever suggested

When was this? The TSB has only been out for two months...

Tunbridge Wells? They've been pretty good with me so far.

Yup thats the one if I go in when the guys I nowknow there are in its fine but every one else just diesnt want to know

Attached are some notes from Toyota UK technical training given to UK technicians.

Sorry for the poor handwriting but is says:

"Brake squeal may be evident, these are a dual pad - road + track. Hence compromise, squeal is a side effect."

post-299-0-39268800-1429869675_thumb.jpg