Deacon

Deacons '86

Its definitly a positive. Have you driven or riden in a car on Ohlins R&T?

I know they are a different price points but I just wondered how they compare for comfort. I know you know your suspension  :)  I've yet to ride in a GT86 on any Teins. (next trip to the US to see family I want to try to get a ride in a car with CSG spec SRCs :D )

The TMG Cup car was shockingly butter like over the curbs at Oulton Park. Not sure if you know, but that has Ohlins TTX with 10kg front and 12kg rear. If the SRCs are comparable then I will be considering a set of CSG spec!

Its definitly a positive. Have you driven or riden in a car on Ohlins R&T?

I know they are a different price points but I just wondered how they compare for comfort. I know you know your suspension :) I've yet to ride in a GT86 on any Teins. (next trip to the US to see family I want to try to get a ride in a car with CSG spec SRCs :D )

The TMG Cup car was shockingly butter like over the curbs at Oulton Park. Not sure if you know, but that has Ohlins TTX with 10kg front and 12kg rear. If the SRCs are comparable then I will be considering a set of CSG spec!

I've tried Marks on the ohlins (although he discovered after his settings weren't quite right). Hopefully be meeting Mark again soon to try both back to back. Based on my previous experience though I'd say the Flex A's are comfier although I don't think they'll be as capable on track as the ohlins.

I'd love to try the SRC's and after having the flex a's they've gone straight to the top of my list when the gt86 becomes a more serious track car rather than a mainly daily driver.

The TTX would be nice but they're about £10k aren't they!?!?

TTX range from £5k-ish on smaller cars up to silly money (not that £5k isnt!).

They are not avaliable to the general public and TMG are not interest to sell them to anyone who doesnt buy a Cup Car from them. The newer version uses Bilstein motorsport dampers. I wonder if thats for cost savings....

I think the Ohlins R&T are very good dampers. Lovely digressive damper curves and good consistency but the spring rates are, well, road and track rates (for serious track junkies).

I do wonder how they compare to the SRC if they were revalved to take 10kg/12kg springs.....

Do you plan to track the Flex As?

"I think the Ohlins R&T are very good dampers. Lovely digressive damper curves and good consistency but the spring rates are, well, road and track rates (for serious track junkies)"

The Ohlins R+T are 60 N/mm, near as dammit 6kg/mm, so they are the same spring rate as most coil overs.

Sorry, what I meant was that they are a bit soft for track junkies. They are a bit soft because they are aimed at daily road driving with the occasional weekend track day hence the road in bold. Rates are not high enough for serious competition or track junkies that want the absolute fastest lap times.

Took some measurements today - seems the drop is a little more than I'd realised. I thought they had been set to 35mm down all around but actually they are 40mm down at the front and 50mm at the rear. The fact they ride so well at those heights really is impressive!

Just in case you're wondering how I'd got them set up wrong, looking at the instructions the hard / soft settings are both clockwise or anti-clockwise, BUT when you fit them to the car the fronts are then opposite and yes that's how i did it !, the rears were much much softer than the front, now all sorted!! and yes I've had a word with myself about this many times. Feckin eedjit

Took some measurements today - seems the drop is a little more than I'd realised. I thought they had been set to 35mm down all around but actually they are 40mm down at the front and 50mm at the rear. The fact they ride so well at those heights really is impressive!

I thought it was just the extra bits in the boot but it still looked a hell of a lot lower than mine and I'm 30mm, you going to keep it that low?

I'm not sure Keith to be honest. I'd like to as it rides well and I really like the way it looks but from a practicality point of view it's a bit of a pain in the ass!

Edit - actually the only thing causing me problems are the pillow type speed bumps. Sadly there are about a million of those round here...

I think you may have issues with roll centres if it's that low. Plus grounding must be more of an issue. You would need to do a fair amount with RCA's I would have thought.

I have a 20mm drop, which doesn't have such an impact on roll centres and I can still clear all but the highest speed humps. 

I think you may have issues with roll centres if it's that low. Plus grounding must be more of an issue. You would need to do a fair amount with RCA's I would have thought.

I have a 20mm drop, which doesn't have such an impact on roll centres and I can still clear all but the highest speed humps.

Rear camber is no problem - I've got the -2 degrees I wanted. Grounding on pillow Speedbumps is an issue. Having seen yours Lauren I'd be amazed if it's just a 20mm drop. I measured my standard ride height as 370mm middle of wheel to arch - be interested to see what yours is.

I'm trying to remember exactly, but recall 21mm front 25mm rear. 

Rollcentres are not about camber. By lowering you change the angle of the suspension arms which can result in issues like bump steer and also with the rollcentre. 50mm lower is way, way too much I would say. 

I'm trying to remember exactly, but recall 21mm front 25mm rear.

Rollcentres are not about camber. By lowering you change the angle of the suspension arms which can result in issues like bump steer and also with the rollcentre. 50mm lower is way, way too much I would say.

I thought you were talking about rear control arms - my mistake.

Having looked at your drop at Japfest I really would be shocked if that's all yours is dropped - my lowering springs dropped the car 30mm from stock and the tyre / arch gap was noticeably more than on your car?

Just tried to measure to wheel centres which is difficult with no centre caps. Coming in about 330mm. If it helps, SpecK and Dave's are exactly the same as mine. It may be better to compare to manufacturer figures rather than with your car though as there are too many extraneous variables to consider. 

My car at Japfest was not sat over even ground. 

It isn't dropped 40mm though. In fact it's nowhere near that. I can't precisely measure from those datum points, so something is wrong somewhere. I still have a reasonable gap between the the top of the tyre and the wheel arch. My car really isn't that low at all. 

I thought your's was noticably lower when you had the lowered springs on. 

If you can get an accurate measurement from the hub centre to the arch the stock is definitely 370mm so that would give an exact lowering figure? I definitely thought yours was lower than mine whenever I've seen it (when I was on springs not now obviously!)

I really shouldn't be on here as I'm currently on holiday in Barcelona, but if you are after the stock heights I think they're around 370mm give or take a couple of mm. Anyway going to get some sangria now!

Jealous mate! Cheers for the confirmation though ☺

Yeah, ah well, it's all good, once I eventually get new wheels, I'll see if it needs lowering anymore.

Good call. I don't think mine could be as low as it is if my wheels weren't pretty conservative in size and fitment.