Deacon

Deacons '86

The spoiler is the leg motorsport clubsport ducktail.

The drop links were part of the whiteline adjustable arb kits - the front kit was the bar, bushes and drop links, the rear the bar, bushes, braces and droplinks.

I have whiteline arb's from Steve's car. I can confirm their quality is awful, mine have peeling paint and totally rusted hardware.

Those brackets are supposed to assist the rigidity of the arb mounts on the subframe. Are they required? Probably, as the arb mounts are hanging in mid air. Do they flex? I doubt it.

The flex a's ride beautifully too. Seems to be win win.

What do they ride like in comparison to the stock set up? The HBS feature looks great in theory, curious how well it works in the real world.

What do they ride like in comparison to the stock set up? The HBS feature looks great in theory, curious how well it works in the real world.

My perception is that they ride better than stock - although it's a long time since I was stock. They are definitely better than any other lowering option I've tried. The street I live on is VERY bumpy at one end - my car now rides it with a comparable level of comfort to my girlfriends unmodified KA on standard suspension and 14" wheels with balloon tyres.

The hbs is difficult to quantify. Tein themselves on their US blog say it works better on vehicles with longer dampers like saloons and people carriers and less noticeably on shorter dampers (like ours).

My perception is that when you hit a big bump (like a pot hole) you still feel that impact (they aren't magic after all!) but the edge is taken off the impact and they return to stability with no 'bouncing' that some suspension can suffer (I've noticed it in my friends, very softly sprung, new Honda Civic).

The fact the ride is so good at the ride height I have it set at I also find amazing to be honest.

Hope that helps!

That's great thank you! I live in the sticks so the roads round me aren't great like yourself, I'd like to get away with lowering the car but not break my back driving round the twisties. Where did you get them from out of interest?

That's great thank you! I live in the sticks so the roads round me aren't great like yourself, I'd like to get away with lowering the car but not break my back driving round the twisties. Where did you get them from out of interest?

I got them from James at Amber - 100% recommended.

Surely all the above is dependent on spring rates at the end of the day? I realise we have an issue with our short rear travel so some set ups can bottom out?

Surely all the above is dependent on spring rates at the end of the day? I realise we have an issue with our short rear travel so some set ups can bottom out?

Not sure I'm with you Nige? In terms of spring rates the lowering springs I had on were quite a soft spring rate, the meister gt1's were a 6kg f and r and the zeta's were a 5kg f and 6kg rear. The teins are far more comfortable than all those and are a 6kg front and rear.

Nigel , sorry to crash Deacons thread , the rear roll bar mounts stiffeners are needed the stock rear bar doesn't stress the stock mounts but once you uprate they are needed

Deacon, what ride heights did you go with , we are finding these cars have very little rear travel even in stock form and running the car to low reduces the travel , you ca gain some travel back with playing with suspension unit length but this can reduce the rear droop that can cause rear wheel to be lifted.

Car does look good thou.

Nigel , sorry to crash Deacons thread , the rear roll bar mounts stiffeners are needed the stock rear bar doesn't stress the stock mounts but once you uprate they are needed

Deacon, what ride heights did you go with , we are finding these cars have very little rear travel even in stock form and running the car to low reduces the travel , you ca gain some travel back with playing with suspension unit length but this can reduce the rear droop that can cause rear wheel to be lifted.

Car does look good thou.

Cheers Mark - always good to get some expert input.

The drop is 35mm front and rear. I was expecting a bit of a rough ride at that to be honest but I really can't fault the ride. I know these are some of the third generation dampers that tein have developed for the '86 platform and you can really tell!

Great stuff. The tein flex A's look very appealing at the price point.

If I am not mistaken, these teins are height adjustable regardless of preload, so stroke length remains the same (assuming it doesnt foul on any bodywork!)

zencho.jpg

Stock rates are:

GT86: 2.3kg front, 3.7kg rear

BRZ: 2.7kg front, 3.3kg rear

Great stuff. The tein flex A's look very appealing at the price point.

If I am not mistaken, these teins are height adjustable regardless of preload, so stroke length remains the same (assuming it doesnt foul on any bodywork!)

zencho.jpg

They are - it was one of the things that attracted me over the likes of the KW's where you lose spring travel with lowering.