Deacon

Deacons '86

Another quick update. I was back at Moton yesterday. We softened the valving and dropped the rear spring to an 11kg to give 9f/11r. Seems pretty decent for a liveable street spec and good for bumpy track use. We've got a few clunks to try and eliminate and may try a freer flowing piston in the dampers too to soften them just a little more.

Couple more bits arrived today. Big thank you to @James@Amber for the excellent service again. 

First are Perrin cam solenoid guards in red to match the other bits in the engine. Ordered these because my cam solenoid covers are suffering the rusting that seems so common and look unsightly so I wanted to do something about them. Not sure if the cam solenoid cover rust is a warranty issue? 

IMG_20160812_182203_Hagrid_Black.jpg

Second thing I was very lucky to get hold of - pretty sure this was the last set available new in the UK. Apologies for the dire picture - it's a Whiteline Roll Centre Correction kit which helps correct the geometry when the car is lowered

IMG_20160812_182243.jpg

Hoping to get the pads and roll centre kit fitted next week ahead of a couple of days at Curborough the week after when I can try out the Motons and Cup 2's properly. 

39 minutes ago, CanaryWundaboy said:

Interested to see the solenoid covers once fitted.

I'll get some pictures up once they're done but it may be a few weeks as I want to investigate getting the stock ones replaced under warranty first. 

2 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Lack of sales seems to be the main reason from what I could find out. 

Interesting I would be interested in such a kit, wonder how much difference it would actually make.

5 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

Interesting I would be interested in such a kit, wonder how much difference it would actually make.

It was recommended to me by someone who tracks their brz a lot and said it makes a big difference. Seems most useful if you're lowered over 30mm and 40mm is the sweet spot for me so I figured every little helps. 

Summit also make a kit with even more correction but it's also well over twice the price of the Whiteline kit and to be low enough to take advantage of the extra correction would also make you low enough to be not great on track anyway. 

37 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

@Deacon Can you feel the symptoms that the kit is supposed to correct?

If you know of another kit hanging about let me know :)

Best chance on another is probably a used one - I tried everywhere and could only find this last kit. 

The main symptoms is the extra roll that lowering produces because of the roll centre getting screwed up. The kit also sharpens the steering response up. 

I had the white line kit fitted to mine when I dropped it on the BC's, was more of a precaution as I was lowering 40mm+. Can't say whether there was any specific improvement though as everything was done at once...

i will say that the grease boots on the lower ball joints are shite, mine had split when I removed them to put the car back to standard after 20k ish, if you can refit the standard ones will be better 👍🏼

1 hour ago, jamie_gt86 said:

I had the white line kit fitted to mine when I dropped it on the BC's, was more of a precaution as I was lowering 40mm+. Can't say whether there was any specific improvement though as everything was done at once...

i will say that the grease boots on the lower ball joints are shite, mine had split when I removed them to put the car back to standard after 20k ish, if you can refit the standard ones will be better 👍🏼

Cheers for the heads up @jamie_gt86. I'd have liked to have picked up the summit ones as they're a lot beefier but couldn't justify the over double cost. I'll see if I can get the boots swapped when they're fitted. 

I did two days at Curborough this week and so had a good chance to try out the Motons and Cup2's. 

The Motons faired very well - even with them only stiffened around 50% they were fantastic on track - I never had the issue I used to find on the flex a's of wanting to go stiffer but having run out of adjustment. They also meant I could happily attack the kerbs. 

The cup 2's were also very good - not as grippy as the federals as they're a harder compound but much gripper than the sport contact 5's I tried last time. They also held up really well to the 32 degree heat on Tuesday and were OK in the damp/wet today allowing me to beat the time I'd previously done on the sport contact 5's in the dry. 

Spent some time at Moton today. We've changed the springs to a 7kg front and an 8kg rear. I've only driven back from Moton but initial impressions are very positive. The lower spring rates also seem to be working the cup 2's better as I definitely felt there was a noticeable increase in grip. 

The dampers have also been dyno'd. I've attached the graphs below as they may be of interest to some people. 

Screenshot_20160831-173251.png

Screenshot_20160831-173211.png

To give them a bit of a try me and Nikki took a spontaneous journey into Wales and put a couple of hundred miles on them today. We drove there with them set soft and back with a stiffer set up I thought would work well on track and wanted to try on the road (c6 r8 front and C4 r5 rear). 

The journey there was good. There is a little bit of low speed bobbling that still needs to be resolved but otherwise it was quite impressive - comfortable but firm I'd say - very well controlled. 

The journey back was much stiffer and bumpier. Not a set up I'd want to use for normal road use but liveable if you had to for some reason (can't have been that bad - Nikki slept for most of the return journey!) I think it'll work fairly well on track though. 

One of the effects of going down on the spring rate a little is that the cup 2's definitely seem to be working better - there is a noticeable improvement in grip. I think the previous set up was a little too stiff for the cup 2's and would work better with a stickier tyre and possibly aero. The other finding is fairly obvious - the car is definitely tracking the road better (it was good before,  as those who attended the suspension meet and had a ride can confirm, but is better now). The bumpy b road performance has definitely improved and I'm fairly sure the track times (at least on the cup 2's and in my cars current configuration) will also have been improved too. 

It's taken a while but I think we are quite close now to a good fast road and very capable track set up. 

2 hours ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

what ride height are you running? measured under the sill front and back (thin sill joint is best place to measure)

Do you know what rear suspension travel you are running ans droop if you know it?

No idea on the rear travel or droop I'm afraid. 

Measured to the edge of the sill (not the thin sill joint the body edge) I measured 135mm front and 145mm rear. 

Why do you ask @Mark@Abbey M/S

1 minute ago, Deacon said:

No idea on the rear travel or droop I'm afraid. 

Measured to the edge of the sill (not the thin sill joint the body edge) I measured 135mm front and 145mm rear. 

Why do you ask @Mark@Abbey M/S

these cars suffer from not enough rear suspension travel , you can jiggle most dampers around so you gain some travel back after lowering but you loose some droop which will cause issues when braking hard (dive) the rear dampers top out ( unable to droop anymore) can cause handling issues and lack of droop can make a car uncomfortable on a bumpy road.