Deacon

Deacons '86

Having finally remembered my password for here and after meeting a lot of folks on saturday thought I'd add a little on what I've done to my car since getting it.

After four and a quarter happy years with a Scirocco I decided the time was right for a change. The GT86 caught my eye and I was offered a very good p/x and then very good deal so I went for it.

Picked it up a week ago - couple of not great pics below:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally I settled on my wheels. I went for these:-

Posted Image

They are stock size (17x7") but 8mm lower offset and a useful 2kg a wheel lighter. I kept the stock tyres as wanted to keep the cars character close to stock (for now).

Picture just after they were fitted below:-

Posted Image

I realise they wont be to most people's taste as due to the design with the spokes not running to the edge of the wheel they look smaller than 17's.

Next up was sorting the exhaust and a drop in air filter. I went with a Cobra cat-back non-resonated system as part of the group buy. For the air filter I went with a HKS panel filter.

Pics below (excuse the state of the car though!):-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally (for now) I had it lowered. I went to AST suspension and had a set of their lowering springs fitted. I went with a 25mm drop as it is my daily driver and I live in speed bump central so decided against the 35mm. The 35mm also have a greater need for various alignment products to be fitted too. Decided to go with the springs from AST as they are the closest to stock rate and I didn't want to make the ride much firmer than it already was. They are also pretty much the only offering which have different spring rates for the '86 and BRZ.

Picture below just after fitting so I would expect them to settle a little more over the coming weeks:-

Posted Image

Again, please excuse the state of the car!

I wondered who's car that was on Saturday, I wanted to tell you how nice the wheels looked on it but I didn't know who you were nor did the few people I asked :(   Looks great :)

Cheers. I wasn't at the hotel for too long as had to go and collect the girlfriend before the karting.

Glad to see you on here again Jeff!  And I was mega surprised to see you at Russ' getting your car washed before this meet....which made mine look miles dirtier that it already is  :P

And like I've said before, love those wheels!

Glad to see you on here again Jeff!  And I was mega surprised to see you at Russ' getting your car washed before this meet....which made mine look miles dirtier that it already is  :P   And like I've said before, love those wheels!

Cheers Keith! I was pretty surprised to see you at Russ's too. And the noise as you arrived...

Looks lovely, Jeff. Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you on Saturday, was a bit of a mad social and there were a lot of people to see! 

I really like the wheels and I like it that you've stuck to 17's. Also think the 25mm drop works really. Good stuff. :+:

Looks lovely, Jeff. Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you on Saturday, was a bit of a mad social and there were a lot of people to see!    I really like the wheels and I like it that you've stuck to 17's. Also think the 25mm drop works really. Good stuff. :+:

Thank you!

Hmmmm.....that looks a lil out of place now Jeff....you need to bling the rest of the engine bay now  :P   Maybe do what Jay did and anodise the struts the same colour or a red intake pipe or box or something?  ;)

Hmmmm.....that looks a lil out of place now Jeff....you need to bling the rest of the engine bay now  :P   Maybe do what Jay did and anodise the struts the same colour or a red intake pipe or box or something?  ;)

It matches the battery cover, job done. Looks good, rather odd looking shape :S Maybe it's just the picture angle.

For reference to Keethos. Here is what I done... 

Posted Image

Anodised the Struts and Battery Tie Down. 

I also have the blue version of the oil filler cap you have. 

I went for the blue to match my Cusco kit when I get round to fitting it. 

You've not been tempted then to clean that green gunk off the engine? Thats one of the few bits of my car I did wash  :lol:  :D  :P  ;)

It matches the battery cover, job done. Looks good, rather odd looking shape :S Maybe it's just the picture angle.

For reference to Keethos. Here is what I done...  1461860_10151980843309757_754459153_n.jp Anodised the Struts and Battery Tie Down.  I also have the blue version of the oil filler cap you have. I went for the blue to match my Cusco kit when I get round to fitting it.

Some extra engine bling to match the oil cap may be in order now indeed!

Had the car mapped at Abbey on Friday (which Abbey very kindly had donated as a karting prize at the national meet).

I have to say Abbey were excellent and a total pleasure to deal with.

I've attached the graphs below - the fainter line is the before and the darker the after which Mark achieved after several hours of fettling.

1388835151737.jpg

1388835153400.jpg

As you can see Mark managed to find 13hp and 10lbft extra but what you can really feel is the extra area under the graph all over especially around the 3-5k rpm range where I spend most of my 'normal' driving time.

Mark has also quietened down the exhaust at start up a little (although I feel my neighbours would appreciate more!)

Map 1 has a softened throttle response which I'm not massively keen on at present but I can imagine being very useful in snow, etc

Map 2 is full fat, normal throttle

Map 3 has launch control, rev blipping and flat foot shifting as well as what map 2 has

Map 4 is for low octane fuel use

My car has a catback exhaust and hks drop in filter so obviously bigger gains would be found with more mods (like second cat removed). The map doesn't make a massive difference to how the car drives (not like my last twincharged car where the map gained about 50hp and similar torque) but it definitely adds extra 'sharpness' to the car and is definitely noticeable in day to day driving.

Again big thanks to Mark and all at Abbey (apologies for the dog phobic girlfriend!)

Deacon, that's impressive for n/a wheels... well done Mark !

And I do like your choice of maps.. I'll be very interested to hear your feedback after you've got used to Map 3.. rev blipping and flat foot shifting are 'standard' on the auto and it was, to my mind, an 'ace in the hole' compared to manual.. looks like we've lost that advantage... :(

Spec K