Deacon

Deacons '86

A bit of a further update on the pads. The PFC.08's really have been flawless. They make hardly any noise when cold, have better cold bite than the Project Mu HC800+'s I ran before and are amazing on track. 

In the morning at Bedford I was running sessions of up to 40 minutes with zero brake fade issues (and for anyone who knows Bedford there are some pretty big stops to make).

In the afternoon I took @will300 out and he too was impressed by just how good the PFC's are - I'm sure @will300 can add more.

Originally I planned to swap to a BBK at some point but, aside from for aesthetic reasons, I'm genuinely struggling to see the need while running the PFC's

The Maxxis Victra Sport VS5's also got their debut run out on track. When I arrived at Bedford they'd done about 50 road miles. During the morning the track was very green and the tyres were very slippery. By the afternoon the track had rubbered in a bit after the previous few days storms and the tyres has burnt off their releasing agents and they were much happier. 

I have previously run the PS4's on both road and track and in the afternoon sessions the VS5's seemed very similar - with a similar drop in grip as they overheated after about 4/5 laps (16-20 miles at Bedford).

I ended up doing about 175 miles on track. By the time I got home the tyres had done about 200 road miles and the 175 track miles and they seem to have worn pretty well

IMG_20200221_211622.jpg.bf11bb4c20aed3f791c6c8d78d03d696.jpg

Only thing I have noticed is that even on the road they seem to need a bit of temperature to work well. Driving to work in temps around 1-2° they were a bit slippery until I'd done a few miles and they'd heated up a little. This isn't something I remember from the PS4's but also I would very rarely have driven the PS4's in those kinds of temperature due to running winters so it could just be that I didn't really use the PS4's in those conditions when I had them.

I'll post a bit more feedback when I've done some more road and track miles on them.

Finally I also ordered a custom set of seat cushions for the Cobra Nogaro seat which were finally ready. They're red and black houndstooth as I've always been a big fan of houndstooth in old Porsches and the red and black fits nicely with the rest of the interior.

IMG_20200227_162653.thumb.jpg.92aedabd741bdf449a46a437c61ba5e6.jpg

IMG_20200227_162709.jpg.d09e0ca64cf9550d6fce1dfaaee4ebee.jpg

(Excuse the state of the inside of the car!)

Looks good Jeff. Did you find fitting a side mount to the sliding rail caused the seat to be raised by much? I had this problem in previous cars having to ditch the runners and bolt the side mount to the floor. 

18 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Looks good Jeff. Did you find fitting a side mount to the sliding rail caused the seat to be raised by much? I had this problem in previous cars having to ditch the runners and bolt the side mount to the floor. 

No, the Nogaro is a low mounting seat anyway and Rogue fabricated the mounts to be low too. The seat as fitted at the moment is as low as the OEM seat set in its lowest position

Replacement rear drop links arrived after another set of the Whiteline ones snapping. These are Voodoo 13 and look a lot meatier than the Whiteline ones. They also don't have the same weak spots where the shaft joins the ends so should hopefully last quite some time.

IMG_20200306_170733.thumb.jpg.f747fb0a06a9317f66f9005811e05dbd.jpg

Loving those Bedford photos B)

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the pads. Brakes is my cars weak point I feel. Was going to BBK it but maybe I should try these 08's first....

34 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Loving those Bedford photos B)

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the pads. Brakes is my cars weak point I feel. Was going to BBK it but maybe I should try these 08's first....

@will300 would be a good person to ask as he has a BBK and did quite a few laps with me in the afternoon at Bedford after his coil pack issue so saw what the PFC's are like compared to his BBK

What's the simplest way for me to word this.... If your happy to try these for the £400 investment (F&R) then do it, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. They are probably the best braking upgrade for a stock caliper I've experienced. 

My only concern and I've spoken with @Deacon about this is, what will the durability be like running a high spec endurance pad on the disc's and calipers over the course of a couple of years. My BBK has been faultless over the 3 years I've had and it's not used any consumables other than when I've wanted to try different pads. 

Ask me about the PFC08's again in a months time, as I should be getting a set for my BBK, to use at Spa. 

Car is at Rogue Motorsport to have its service and MOT done along with a few other bits and pieces including fitting the Voodoo13 drop links.

While it's there it's also having a Greddy larger capacity diff cover fitted along with a Weir Performance 4.88 final drive.

received_284631855836916.thumb.jpeg.cd535ec52798f85501a815727e163828.jpeg

received_1089524564764121.jpeg.07f2e2776accfc6f5c4c1f23dc4fa66f.jpeg

received_1410993329103790.jpeg.712fa55e88dbd21c29f2728a68d944e4.jpeg

I picked the car up today so I've only tried it on the road so far - a mix of A and B roads and Motorways (so 30-70mph). Car feels much keener and much quicker. At 70 (speedo indicated) I'm at 3400rpm at 70 (gps indicated) I'm at 3600rpm.

Drove into work yesterday (mainly 30 mph roads) main difference is I'm using 4th at 30 rather than 3rd / 4th.

There is a bit of whine about 3krpm when letting off the throttle.

Acceleration is much sharper - makes it feel like the cars had a decent power bump.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 2:35 PM, will300 said:

What's the simplest way for me to word this.... If your happy to try these for the £400 investment (F&R) then do it, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. They are probably the best braking upgrade for a stock caliper I've experienced. 

My only concern and I've spoken with @Deacon about this is, what will the durability be like running a high spec endurance pad on the disc's and calipers over the course of a couple of years. My BBK has been faultless over the 3 years I've had and it's not used any consumables other than when I've wanted to try different pads. 

Ask me about the PFC08's again in a months time, as I should be getting a set for my BBK, to use at Spa. 

Was kind of my thinking as well. Certainly food for thought though and a BBK is tempting :lol:

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:26 PM, Deacon said:

I picked the car up today so I've only tried it on the road so far - a mix of A and B roads and Motorways (so 30-70mph). Car feels much keener and much quicker. At 70 (speedo indicated) I'm at 3400rpm at 70 (gps indicated) I'm at 3600rpm.

Be interested to be a passenger on track at some point in the future. Certainly a tempting proposition for mine as the RPM increase doesn't seem too bad. I had a lower FD put in my old type R and it improved it massively but it did buzz its head off on the motorway afterwards which did my head in -_-

What RPM  is the manual 86 stock at 70 (speedo reading) ?

11 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Be interested to be a passenger on track at some point in the future. Certainly a tempting proposition for mine as the RPM increase doesn't seem too bad. I had a lower FD put in my old type R and it improved it massively but it did buzz its head off on the motorway afterwards which did my head in -_-

What RPM  is the manual 86 stock at 70 (speedo reading) ?

You're more than welcome to a ride 👍

OEM is 2900 at 70mph on the speedo

13 minutes ago, Deacon said:

You're more than welcome to a ride 👍

Not too bad then, I only do about 5k a year anyway so am not much of a mile muncher.

Will take you up on that offer soon hopefully to see if I feel it could be worth it. I feel that a shorter FD and my NA tuned package could make the car feel spot on.

Be interesting to see how yours and a NA tuned 86 with stock FD compares acceleration wise on track as well.

17 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Not too bad then, I only do about 5k a year anyway so am not much of a mile muncher.

Will take you up on that offer soon hopefully to see if I feel it could be worth it. I feel that a shorter FD and my NA tuned package could make the car feel spot on.

Be interesting to see how yours and a NA tuned 86 with stock FD compares acceleration wise on track as well.

I'm at Bedford April 6th providing it still goes ahead.

I'm interested to see how it'll be on track - certainly on the road it seems well worth it but I do wonder whether it may end up a little short for on track (especially somewhere like Bedford).

I've got loads of Bedford videos so it'll be interesting to be able to compare speeds into and out of various sections to see what difference it has made.

You're more than welcome to a ride
Is it like driving with the 5th gear on M way Jeff? For lower gears the gap is wider , but 5th and 6th , I think the rpm difference is circa 500 rpm.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Is it like driving with the 5th gear on M way Jeff? For lower gears the gap is wider , but 5th and 6th , I think the rpm difference is circa 500 rpm.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty similar to fifth rather than sixth on the motorway

57 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Last bit of the exterior pieces arrived recently - STi rear spats

IMG_20200506_132245.jpg

Nice one, I'm looking to order the full STI lower trim/sideskirts etc.  Do you mind if I ask where did you order these ones from and how long did they take to arrive? 

20 minutes ago, Tweedbean said:

Nice one, I'm looking to order the full STI lower trim/sideskirts etc.  Do you mind if I ask where did you order these ones from and how long did they take to arrive? 

I got them from Japanparts and they took just under three weeks from ordering to being delivered to me.

Just now, Deacon said:

I got them from Japanparts and they took just under three weeks from ordering to being delivered to me.

Thanks, thats where I was looking, I think I just need to get them ordered :)

Just now, Tweedbean said:

Thanks, thats where I was looking, I think I just need to get them ordered :)

I've used Japanparts quite a few times and always found them to be really good.