Deacon

Deacons '86

I did a trackday at Blyton Park yesterday. Despite the weather forcast (and the weather most of the country seemed to get) Blyton wasn't too bad. It rained on and off throughout the day making the track quite greasy even when it dried out from the fairly strong winds. 

It was really nice to meet up with Michael and Andrew and their respective 86's too. 

A video of one of the sessions I did comprising a couple of warm up laps, a few normal laps and a cool down. 

There was a nice mix of cars in attendance so a good mixture of cars to chase, overtake or be overtaken by and driving standards were generally very good which was nice. 

Got the head unit fitted with help from [mention=3006]Dilan[/mention] and Ariston from the FB group. Genuinely can't belive the difference in sound quality over oem!
IMG_20190816_114851_Hagrid.jpg.4db0a8498fabb6bb0f7836781fb8722b.jpg
The head unit looks massive. What make and model is it? Is there an audio quality change just with the unit or did you change the speakers or add an amp?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

The head unit looks massive. What make and model is it? Is there an audio quality change just with the unit or did you change the speakers or add an amp?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It's an Eonon GA2178. The display is 10.1". I already had the focal speaker upgrade which made a difference over Oem but this has made an even bigger difference. As a cheap upgrade package the focals and this head unit seem very good. 

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

It's an Eonon GA2178. The display is 10.1". I already had the focal speaker upgrade which made a difference over Oem but this has made an even bigger difference. As a cheap upgrade package the focals and this head unit seem very good. 

Thanks. Looks really good. Makes it look like a Volvo screen, if you just ignore the buttons and knobs!

Did you need loads of connectors to get it to work or simply plug and play?

27 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Thanks. Looks really good. Makes it look like a Volvo screen, if you just ignore the buttons and knobs!

Did you need loads of connectors to get it to work or simply plug and play?

Thank you. 

It needs a wiring loom adaptor, an adaptor to keep the USB working by the stop/start button, an aerial adaptor and I bought a fitting kit of brackets and surround. All in it came out as about £315. With the focal too you're looking at about £450.

The stereo also comes with a dash cam and reversing cam that you can plug into it too but I haven't fitted those at the moment. 

IMG_20190817_115523.jpg.f17d5dda2753b85d3efa8b47cde11e41.jpg

This looks great mate. I was thinking of trying to fit the Alpine halo9 or wait for the new Sony xav8000.

Your set up gives you a bigger screen and is a 2 din box. The price too can't be knocked.

Could you point me in the right direction on where and what adapters exactly you had to get?

51 minutes ago, MangoNo5 said:

This looks great mate. I was thinking of trying to fit the Alpine halo9 or wait for the new Sony xav8000.

Your set up gives you a bigger screen and is a 2 din box. The price too can't be knocked.

Could you point me in the right direction on where and what adapters exactly you had to get?

No problem. 

This is a link to the stereo:-

https://www.eonon.com/mobile/Eonon-Android-9-0-Universal-Double-Din-Car-Stereo-with-Quad-Core-Processor-10-1-Inch-Touchscreen-Support-Bluetooth-5-0-Adjustable-Viewing-Angle.html

This is the fitting kit including most of the necessary wiring harnesses:-

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/toyota-gt-86-car-stereo-double-din-fascia-wiring-loom-antenna-fitting-kit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr16Fe9vK3tIa-qqwGBnKxE9gQzqFyN29zMTbLSVDmTHVprkt2EUq1eRoCn48QAvD_BwE

This is the harness needed to keep the USB by the start button working:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stereo-Factory-USB-Retention-Interface-Cabe-Kit-For-Toyota-GT-86-2012-Onward-/262914884030

One other useful feature of the head unit I found for pre facelift owners is it will display the battery voltage. Handy considering how quickly the 86 batteries seem to like to discharge! 

Thanks for all this info! I'll start shopping. The battery function is a nice function too!

Appreciate all the original effort that has gone into finding and setting this unit up.

A massive thank you for sharing in detail the end result mate!

On 8/19/2019 at 11:53 PM, MangoNo5 said:

All kit ordered, any tips or things I need to watch on the install? 😊

Once you've taken all the oem stuff apart and put the wiring harnesses into the new one it's fairly straightforward. There are two plugs that go into the oem stereo that won't plug into anything with this one (think they are to do with the oem optional Nav). I fitted the WiFi antenna and GPS antenna and routed them behind the glove box. The WiFi antenna I fixed on the underside of the top of the glove box and the gps receiver I ran up to the dashboard and fitted it between the vents and the speaker grill against the windscreen. 

You do need to be super, super careful with the wiring harness that plugs the screen into the stereo base though. I've managed to tweek mine and currently it's not working properly! 

Had an amazing day at Anglesey on Monday. It's the first time I've been but I'd definitely like to go back. I spent the majority of the day trying to get my head around the correct lines and even by the end there were still several corners I wasnt entirely sure about. 

Here's a video from my second session of the day:-

Plenty of room for improvement! 

A couple of photos from the day too. I was the only 86 there which seems to be quite rare on most trackdays now. 

IMG_20190820_170502_349.thumb.jpg.7c2e9ecd4ed5a0aa1bfe1bf0833df325.jpg

Screenshot_20190820-185243.thumb.jpg.3cb8aec2d13caad21fdf9c5cfb7e45b7.jpg

Screenshot_20190820-185344.thumb.jpg.9d36a5ad3b17509cfd37015d4c90168e.jpg

I did another Bedford trackday on Tuesday with @VAD17 and @will300. The weather was very hot (33° for most of the day!). I did about 170 miles on track. Car was faultless and oil temps peaked at a maximum of 121°.

IMG_20190827_231357_507.thumb.jpg.86954bdae3cd30c66f348ecaccdf61c6.jpg

First video is a whole session most of which I spent chasing after a Caterfield of some description. 

Next is a bit of another session chasing after an Elise and Focus (apologies for the bug splattered on the camera lens!) 

After these four trackdays in just over a month I'm hoping to maybe sneak in Donnington at the start of November but then I'm done for this year. Time to start counting down the days for next year's trackdays! 

Think somebody needs a supercharger 😁 That last video almost looked like the Elise was holding you up in the bends but there was no way you were getting passed on the straights (unless the driver decided to let you through) 'cus of the difference in acceleration.

55 minutes ago, Neil-h said:

Think somebody needs a supercharger 😁 That last video almost looked like the Elise was holding you up in the bends but there was no way you were getting passed on the straights (unless the driver decided to let you through) 'cus of the difference in acceleration.

That's the issue with Bedford for me, there's too many straights! Rewards straight line hero's over corner speed.

2 hours ago, Neil-h said:

Yeah it was rather annoying as he wouldn't let me by when I was certainly quicker until we got to the straights then he shot off. The Caterfield on the other video was similar - I kept catching him then he'd just shoot off on the straights again. 

7 hours ago, Deacon said:

Yeah it was rather annoying as he wouldn't let me by when I was certainly quicker until we got to the straights then he shot off. The Caterfield on the other video was similar - I kept catching him then he'd just shoot off on the straights again. 

Almost surprised you didn't report the guy in the Elise who was clearly holding you up. I would have been a lot more aggressive in my driving going much closer to the Elise in the corners so they get the message. If someone is blatantly holding me up I will report them. This is what I don't like about trackdays, though sometimes it's easier just to back off so you can have a bit of clear track. 

4 hours ago, Lauren said:

...I would have been a lot more aggressive in my driving going much closer to the Elise in the corners so they get the message....

To be honest I would never do this for a couple of reasons; 1. Being aggressive on a trackday is a bit of a dick thing to do imho - they're for fun, they're not races. 2. I have no idea of that drivers skill and getting 'much closer' could increase the chances of an accident which is not what I want from my trackday 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Deacon said:

To be honest I would never do this for a couple of reasons; 1. Being aggressive on a trackday is a bit of a dick thing to do imho - they're for fun, they're not races. 2. I have no idea of that drivers skill and getting 'much closer' could increase the chances of an accident which is not what I want from my trackday 🤷‍♂️

It's a bit of a dick thing to do to hold people up and not move out of the way if another car has caught up. I wouldn't  be a fag paper from their bumper because it's not racing. But I would go a fair bit closer than you did. It's just experience really. The driver was a billy, so not much skill by the looks of it, but if you hang back too much they often don't move over, thinking mistakenly they are running at the same pace as you.