Rabbs

Coil overheating - vented bonnet

Hi

I go on tour in europe every year and last year was the first with my supercharger, towards the end of the tour one of my coils (passenger side) started misfiring but once everything had cooled down it was fine and I reset the error code etc, this was the last day in the heat and it was very hot. It's been fine since I've been back home.

I assumed this was down to the engine bay temperature rising, I've seen a few posts on coils failing due to this.

https://www.pointmeby.com/2017/09/10/86-brz-frs-p0351-cel-p0353-coil-pack-how-fix/

I was thinking of upgrading the coils which is around £800 but a friend also suggested a vented bonnet

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/seibon-carbon-fibre-bonnet-ts-style-seihd1213scnfrs-ts/?istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istItemId=-xpitqlxmxw&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4biBRC-ARIsAA4WaFgI1WlBEaP-7yoNrvIcfRf0u9eFNuUjKn2CLFhMGoO277owtNzCGtoaAqgKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not only could this solve the problem but it would also look nice.

Does anyone have any experience on coils or if the bonnet vents are effective at lowering temperatures enough to stop this happening again?

Thanks

Andy

8 hours ago, maurice said:

I went through 4 ignition coils until I put gold heat reflective tape over them. Haven't had a failure since... (Probably get one next trackdays now)

I had this done when i replaced mine and didn't have an issue after that. Reflective tape is the easiest thing to do and its cheap.

I had a Sprintex supercharger on my previous car, a Honda CR-Z.  They get very, very hot and need a large volume of air moving over them.  I suffered from overheating (not coils in this case, just poor running) until I replaced the bonnet with a vented Seibon CF one.  It solved the problem completely and I had no further overheating even in summer.

So the answer to your question is yes, vented bonnets are effective at lowering the temperature in the engine bay.

22029692676_4abc42b0c7_c.jpg