Ridowh

New Supra to be unveiled on Monday

I’ve been following the development of the new Supra. It looks great, albeit a little too expensive for my limited budget. 

I received an email yesterday to inform me that it will be officially unveiled on Monday (14th Jan) at 14:40 GMT. 

This link should hopefully take those interested to the site where you can watch the unveiling live.

Unveiling of the New Toyota Supra

PS - apologies if I placed this in the wrong forum section. Please could a mod move it if needed?

Haha wonderful. Anything that makes me feel better about not being able to afford it is fine by me. 

I find it interesting that Toyota have picked a price point that puts it into direct competition with some very nice sports cars. They must have a high degree of confidence in the Supra’s abilities. 

Just now, Septic said:

I find it interesting that Toyota have picked a price point that puts it into direct competition with some very nice sports cars. They must have a high degree of confidence in the Supra’s abilities. 

I would suggest that this is probably the price point for this type of platform that is not shared with lower grade standard common models. I mean if a M140 is £35k+ and that is sold in huge numbers in the standard car ranges, something like this will always be north of £40-45k. That wouldn't be a problem unless there is already many well established "go to" competitors as well as other newer alternatives (A110 springs to mind). Someone pointed out on the other forum that not only is the price similar but likely the financial deals will not be comparative to a Cayman either as the residuals will never be as good. This is aimed at the Supra fanboys really, given the "Return of the Legend" marketing and it seems like this isn't keeping many of them happy either from my experience on the groups on FB etc.

Plus I just don't understand why they've kept the damn thing under wraps for soooo long. I don't think that it has done any good for the "hype"..... I kind of lost interest late last summer. :lol: Plus there have been so many leaks, the reveal is only going to cement what pretty much everyone already knows.

I think we all know what it looks like now, there have been so many leaked photos etc. I'm just interested in what the prices would be, but I suspect £50k+. 

This should be in non GT/BRZ section though. 

There seems to be so much bashing for the new Supra which I think is unfair really. I seem to be one of the few who really like and stand by it. Looks will always he subjective but you can't argue with the the pedigree behind it, it's the right wheel drive with the right amounts of cylinders etc etc.

If i was able to justify sinking 50k into a car It would be to a tough decision between the Supra and Jag F Type.

It will sell pretty well but not in this country. People over here seemed to be obsessed with high performance white goods and anything German.

I'd be driving a late mk1 Z4 coupe now if I could have found a good one, but practicality won out. I rather like *some* of the imagery of the new Supra, but it's way beyond my means until they're 4-5 years old. Maybe I'll test drive one eventually! I have given the updated Z4 a go, and it rode hard but was numb at the front, had turbo lag, and the boot was half full of roof. Maybe they'll balance it right this time?

51 minutes ago, Dave86 said:

This 'Supra' has no pedigree, it's a BMW Z4 with a badge stuck on it.

It's got independent suspension setup by the same lot that did the GT86, so the Z4 is more GT and this is more sporty. I believe the engine setup has had more input from Toyota and possibly GR so it will sound different to the Z4. The videos of them in Spain sounded pretty epic TBH.

Lets just hope that it doesn't end up having any of the traditional BMW engine issues ;)

I struggle with why the collaboration is such an issue and why people are deliberately naive about it, unless you are the ultimate JDM fanboy or brand loyal what's wrong with combining inputs from 2 manufacturers. Yeah it uses a BMW engine and interior but who complains at the quality of BMWs interior and they have been making 6 pots for decades.

2 hours ago, Cerastes said:

I suspect £50k+.

From what I have read £50k is about right. I’ve seen £40k quoted as the base starting price, however that was a slightly older page.

According to RoadandTrack.com there will be a turbo-charged 4 cylinder model (not sure about the hp on this) and a 3.0 litre straight 6-cylinder producing 335hp. Interestingly enough, there’s a rumour that both models will be 8-speed auto models and there will not be a manual option. Personally, I drive a supercharged GTS auto (around 300bhp) and I find the paddle-shift manual mode to be absolutely superb, so I wouldn’t mind the lack of manual at all. I would also find it difficult to consider moving away from that for an extra 35hp, especially given the cost difference. With my Cobra De-Cat, resonated exhaust, which sounds great, I find it sounds better than the clips I’ve heard of the Supra too  

I grabbed these pictures from RoadandTrack.com as well. They show what they believe it will look like, based on the concept FT-1. Looks rather smart in my opinion, still not enough to tempt me away.

Now the IF they were to give a convertible option, and really fit the interior out nicely, together with some really special electronic smarts, plus configurable suspension and braking etc. - now that might just about do the trick, and justify the extra £25k. But that’s a great deal of money, so it would really need to be something else. I’ll just have to wait and see  

19EEE8EB-C47F-4773-8E27-DEC65A561E75.png

05A8189B-28CF-4668-9CCE-B0F23DCEA2D4.png

67E2E515-E4B1-47CD-B9BD-ADF307A59D3B.png

7744E7FB-F2F7-4CF7-A60A-79EF90E1D71F.png

219B9DF9-30A8-4306-B0AA-B88894A32134.png

8956A25C-6023-4577-B32A-8181E17D4500.png

1924FFDE-152A-4BC2-9A99-67CF34B70AD2.png

3528C1DF-D0DC-4561-AAA2-305A5355B9B4.png

286B5B54-0DEA-4697-8E40-9BCACB8464B8.png

Probably what i don't like most is "front bulbs" above front wheels. In rear it's viper & trv like ok-ish, but looks fat/swelled in front. (judging by these pics only, maybe in reality it will be better)

2 hours ago, Varelco said:

but who complains at the quality of BMWs interior and they have been making 6 pots for decades.

Namely my mates in the trade who state they would never buy or recommend a BMW due to poor build quality - that's interior and engine BTW - of which this seems to use both ;)  I never suggested the collaboration is an issue, the Z4 platform does have it's positives and I think this is ultimately a better JV than the 86/BRZ. I think this looks suitably JDM, but I do wish that the better pieced together Lexus based interiors had been used.

2 hours ago, Septic said:

From what I have read £50k is about right. I’ve seen £40k quoted as the base starting price, however that was a slightly older page.

According to RoadandTrack.com there will be a turbo-charged 4 cylinder model (not sure about the hp on this) and a 3.0 litre straight 6-cylinder

The lower price bracket will be for the B48 2 litre version. The 330i gets 254bhp and around 290lb.ft out of this. In the USA they will get this, but I would be surprised if it does here given that for most previous models the UK only gets higher spec. Think previous Supra and GT86, both came in single spec (bar the short lived Primo that didn't sell well). I would also be surprised if any manual is offered, maybe the GRMN if they think there's something in it for purists a-la GT4 Cayman.

I think that Supra racer is disappointing, for some reason the DTM aero package that SuperGT is moving to really doesn't suit the Supra. The original racer concept looked a lot better:

i1HXjqLlocaLk8E.jpg

The aero on the newer version looks a bit too squared-off. It looks great on the saloon-based coupes that run in DTM but doesn't work on a proper sports car. It'll be interesting to see how the NSX and GT-R look under the 2020 SuperGT rules. And having the Supra, NSX, and GT-R names all back in Japanese GT racing together will be a real throwback to the late 90s/early 2000s glory days!

Just watched the live reveal and I have to admit, I do like the look of it. 

It really doesn’t look a million miles way from the good old 86. A little taller perhaps, and slight differences in the body shape, but nothing radically different. And for that I am thankful. It also has 50:50 weight balance, and gorgeous Brembo braking with 19” wheels.  

It also has some nice safety features, such as pre-crash emergency braking and auto lane departure warning - things I wish the 86 had had as an option. It had a nice dash and looks like a HUD as well. The rest of the interior looks really sporty, 0-60mph in 4.1 seconds, so similar to my GTS auto post SC.

They then went on to show a racier version, a Barret-Jackson special edition, in grey metal, driven into the studio by Fernando Alonso (bet he got paid well for that). (EDIT: I’ve since found it is the A90 edition, only for the FIRST 24 U.K. orders places!! So get in there quick).  It had more extreme bodywork and looked even better. I’m not sure which of the two cars will be the first off the line. And pictures of the NASCAR model looks the business  

It will still take a remarkable bit of luck for me to afford one, a medium lottery win perhaps (which would really be something as I don’t buy lottery tickets, maybe I should start?). 

What do others think?

I'm pretty excited by it - well I was until I saw the price. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a cheap car, but I think it's just too expensive for what it offers and given what competition it's up against. I have no doubt that it's an incredible machine but unless it's truly greater than the sum of its parts, I personally can't justify the 54k price tag. Looks like I'll sit on the fence for a couple of years and pick one up once the depreciation bites.