Geezon

Hello There

Hi all,

Back in october I walked into the showroom in Preston, determined to walk/drive out with/in an 86...
Came away with the Club Series (without the performance pack) that was in the showroom as I didn't really want to wait for delivery in May to have it new...

And then a little later I found my way to here, so I'd like you all to meet Gemini (I didn't name it...);
hPFzJHX.png

It's a bit of a change from my previous (09 Ibiza & 62 DS3 DSport), but I'm loving it so far.
Haven't done anything with it yet, besides drive it of course.

But Entune is absolutely maddening, so I'm thinking I'll start with audio... Have been reading through some old threads about head units and sound deadening etc while I'm at it, and I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to change anything right now, but if anyone has any tips or recommendations I'm more than happy to take them on board :)

Welcome aboard. :) What was that dealer thinking eh? Not having it in the showroom with the Performance Pack. :lol:

Plenty of options with audio, most of us change something, it just depends how far you want to go. I pulled the entire audio out a month after getting mine and changed the lot. Others upgrade the front speakers, which is a good cheap plug and pray upgrade. 

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

What was that dealer thinking eh? Not having it in the showroom with the Performance Pack. :lol:

The fools!
I asked them about retro-fitting it, he gave me some words about how it's so much work that Toyota will only do it on new orders. Implying they're built to spec, but I doubt that?
And with the delivery date in May I was a little upset about it, but then I sat in it and it didn't matter.
Then I drove it and that was it, they were getting my money whether they liked it or not.

It's not hugely difficult to fit the brake calipers and discs, considering that all that is needed will come in a kit. Same with dampers, not hard to do. But whether you could get it at the bargain price is another matter. You'd obviously have to pay for labour, but any competent garage can do this. If RRG Macclesfield were able to fit my AP four pots up front and my TEIN suspension, including all the wiring for EDFC Active Pro, SPL lower arms and a full polybush kit  you'd think it was possible really!

I reviewed the Blue Edition with Performance Pack a few months ago: 

Nice, and a good read.

Good to know I made the wrong call :lol:
I'm really only driving it to/from work, and occasional weekends, so I think I'm okay with not having it. I keep telling myself that.
I don't think I'll be driving it at track days or anything like that, Belmont Road (A675) near here is the nicest road I've had it on, and that's now got about a thousand cameras on it, so I've not had any real chance to push it.
Had it slip on a couple mini-roundabouts and freshly salted corners, though :P but otherwise it's good for what I need it for at the moment.

But later on I'll be exploring my options, car's on finance so I need to be sure I can clear that (stupid PCP) before putting too much money into it. At that stage where I'd also like a house too :( but if/when I do something to the car I'll be sure to show progress.

In all honesty you would only really benefit from the Brembos if you were hitting Alpine passes hard or going on track regularly. I think the uprated dampers do bring some improvement, but you'd have to push it again, to get the benefit from it. 

Thanks, I needed to hear/read that.

But seriously, from everything (not very much) that I have had the chance to put it through it's been great so far, genuinely happy with it :D
Was looking around, saw the post from LuckyLukeT taking a stock 86 around Nürburgring, and if it's good for that I'm sure It'll handle me on typical british roads.

Also, thank you for such a warm welcome :)