MartinT

Problem With Heat Wrap

2 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

The manifolds and exhausts are no longer made at JP. They are now made in house at TD.

Really? That might account for the variance then. 

My coolant hose wasn't wrapped but it doesn't need to be as there is a good gap between that and the down (up) pipe. 

I've just checked my installation and I don't have the coolant pipe wrapped either. My install is about 14 months old.

The clearance to the pulley is close but I do have quite a gap between the coolant pipe and the exhaust pipe. I'm struggling to visually see the depth, but on the first picture, and on my car, the exhaust pipe seems to be quite a bit lower than the airbox, whereas on the image of the damaged pipe the top of the exhaust seems to be almost on a level with the air box.

Is it possible that there's a spacer somewhere that's raising the exhaust slightly?

I know that someones mentioned a manufacturing tolerance, but that appears to be quite some tolerance!

4 minutes ago, Kaltorak said:

I'll be getting the NA pack installed tomorrow, I'll take me pics once it's in for comparison. I'll ask Mike about it too. 

Please do, I'd like his opinion as to whether this clearance is typical for new installs.

@MartinT There have been some subtle changes over the years, both from the days of JP and also when we moved manufacture in house.

Yours however does now look very close, closer than normal. Can happily take a look at it for you if you'd like and see what is what.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for the offer, Mike. However, it's a 7 hour round trip for me so I'll keep that in my back pocket for now. Good to know that the gap is a bit close compared with the norm.

Unfortunately, the heat wrap never arrived despite my paying for next day delivery. I put a claim into eBay and got a message saying they had tried to deliver to work at some very late time and no-one was there. No shit! I'll be OK using the car minimally and doing the repair on Monday. The few mm gap I opened up by twisting the top hose was good enough to get me home without any further issues.

I'll be getting the NA pack installed tomorrow, I'll take me pics once it's in for comparison. I'll ask Mike about it too. 

Please share what Mike says

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Angelina said:

Please share what Mike says

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike shared what mike says :) He was posting about it as I walked in the door, top bloke.

I think the basic consensus was it doesn't make any sense to be that close now, its a fixed system at either end, it shouldnt be possible to move that much.

I found a photo of my from last year. Pretty close, Mike wrapped both.

Had no problems at all, including track days...e926c699b40f5c1468da819b710304c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, VAD17 said:

I found a photo of my from last year. Pretty close, Mike wrapped both

Yes, that looks much closer to my exact setup.  I see Mike used the titanium exhaust heat wrap on both pipes - I shall do the same.  Thanks for the confirmation!

P.S. I also have the same TD intake pipe.

Did the fix just now.  The wrap is almost impossible to cut without fraying but I've done my best.  Two layers around the exhaust, spiral layer around the top hose.  I'm going to order a new top hose as I'm not sure I liked what the heat has done to it.  Better to replace it to be sure.  I may be able to experiment more when I reposition a new one so as to create a better gap.

46014232724_21e8f5dc9d_o.jpg

Gosh, all I can find online is a complete set of radiator hoses from China.  Does anyone know of a UK/EU retailer selling these items individually?

And no, I don't want a silly red one with a brand name on it costing £125!

40 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Gosh, all I can find online is a complete set of radiator hoses from China.  Does anyone know of a UK/EU retailer selling these items individually?

And no, I don't want a silly red one with a brand name on it costing £125!

Surely you can get the part you need from Toyota or Subaru?

10 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Surely you can get the part you need from Toyota or Subaru?

Yes, I guess I'll have to pop over to Bulldog Twyford (Subaru) and collect one.  It's not ideal so I was hoping to have one delivered.

I've just had an idea: there is a Toyota dealership in Basingstoke.  That might be a lot more convenient.

Thanks.  I just tried Toyota and got a load of jobsworth telling me that I had to have a Toyota registration plate or chassis number to be able to order a part.  No amount of my telling her that it's the same car would budge her.  Grrr!

I usually got opposite experience, with subaru parts dept. almost always insisting on VIN number prior starting any search in their part systems then toyota/scion, and in most cases finding out corresponding subaru analogue only from PNs mentioned in forums at best.

Maybe try finding out corresponding PN eg. here, and then ask them availability/pricing for specific parts/assemblies?

That's a shocking fit. Far too close, from the photo it looks like it's actually touching, it may even be closer if the manifold expands with heat. Then when the engine rocks it's going to fret the wrap away again.

Why is it necessary go so far up and over that it's practically in contact with a radiator hose? It's not like it's needed for performance given all the others which sit much further away. 

Surely TD cant say thats fine? seeing as its a modular design it's not even like you need a complete new manifold, just the loop section.

22 hours ago, MartinT said:

Did the fix just now.  The wrap is almost impossible to cut without fraying but I've done my best.  Two layers around the exhaust, spiral layer around the top hose.  I'm going to order a new top hose as I'm not sure I liked what the heat has done to it.  Better to replace it to be sure.  I may be able to experiment more when I reposition a new one so as to create a better gap.

I folded the ends in to keep the frayed part tucked away.

It was hard to do a neat repair with the top hose in place.  I've now ordered a replacement from Subaru and will wrap it neatly, and re-do the exhaust, before I fit it.