Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Ambient Outside Air Temperature

Just a quick question. My 2015 BRZ is displaying the ambient air temperature about 5C higher than it actually is. Even without the engine running. Doing some research on other forums people are saying that the sensor can be adjusted in techstream. Just wondered if anyone has this or can advise. I'm only the 2nd owner of the car and it has covered less than 15k miles.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

It only tends to over-read if you leave the car for a bit then return and then it will often be drastically higher than the outside temperature, but should correct itself after a few miles driving. Sorry no idea about calibrating it. 

5 degrees over the top is ball park car sitting in the sun with static air around the sensor. There is also the question of what you're comparing it to! The reading is damped to prevent jitter, so In extreme cases it can take 10 minutes of being on the move before it'll stabilise at a believable temperature.

You could try parking facing the other way as a crude form of testing.

5 degrees over the top is ball park car sitting in the sun with static air around the sensor. There is also the question of what you're comparing it to! The reading is damped to prevent jitter, so In extreme cases it can take 10 minutes of being on the move before it'll stabilise at a believable temperature.
You could try parking facing the other way as a crude form of testing.
It showed 8c all the way to work this morning (30 mins) there is a building I pass 5 mins from work and that was showing flitting between 3 and 4 degrees and the BRZ still said 8c

I think mine was clocking something similar. Ideally get a third measurement from a different piece of equipment to rule out both being incorrect. Techstream is expensive!

Is there another temp sensor, or is this ambient temp used by the ECU for trim?

8 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Is there another temp sensor, or is this ambient temp used by the ECU for trim?

IAT without the engine on would be a good indicator, although any sensor is open to error.

Just went out with a commercial grade food thermometer and with the ignition on and the probe at a similar height it was reading the same, so I'm happy. Must of just been warmer than I thought all this time