Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Winter Tyres Nokian vs Conti

Seems there are lots of people on here with the Nokian winter tyres; are you happy with them? (I see mostly positive comments)

Anyone got the Conti Wintercontacts? They get some very good reviews and comments that they are very suited to the UK winter conditions i.e. cold and wet rather than snowy all the time.

I'm about to boot up but just can't decide what to put on. Other brands are available and would welcome feedback/thoughts.

Why go for full winter tyres in Essex , my friend. If you were in Scotland , makes more sense. 

A good set of Michelin Cross Climates will be best suited to the southern winters and also can be continued through the summer. 

The Crossclimates do look like they could handle a lot of water, and the tread blocks at the edges look moderately large. The Nokian and Contis have extra grooves in the tread blocks, so their sharpness and corner grip will suffer in comparison.

On the other hand, if conditions go bad you need all the help you can get in a RWD car. Depends on your destinations I suppose. I visit rural Peaks, Lakes and west country fairly often where the roads are significantly less safe.

I'm not convinced that a Scottish winter is really much worse than an Essex one (and I've lived half my life in both areas!). The debate for do you/don't you need winter tyres in the UK isn't clear cut but having run them in the past, the confidence in cold, wet conditions is worth the bother and on the odd occasion you do get snow then they are remarkable. I got caught on the way home last winter when I struggled to get up a small incline in Brentwood with only a flurry of snow. Sitting in the car going 10p/5p and praying to the gods of snow that I wouldn't be the tw@t holding up rush hour traffic I vowed I would not make the same mistake again!

I love the Primacy tyres in summer so will keep them, I have a spare set of alloys. The outlay of getting winter tyres is then offset by not wearing out the summers so much.

I still get your point though - you can get by without them and I've left it a bit late to get them this year. But I figure I've got 3 months on them until summer again.