TommyC

Another Happy Customer 🙂

I bought a second hand TD EL manifold, overpipe, and resonated cat-back system from another forum member a few weeks ago. I got them all fitted (using new gaskets/cone seal etc) on my driveway the other day as I wanted the satisfaction of fitting it myself.

Today it was mapped by TD and I'm impressed with the results! The car feels far livelier, with better throttle response and a much improved urgency about it!

I spent the whole time asking questions and chatting with Mike about other mods I'd like to do. He was great, very patient and explained everything I asked. I'll definitely be going back to TD for any future mods!

He also took me for a drive in his Turbo GT86, which is very impressive!

My savings account has now been re-named 'TURBO KIT FUND' 😆

Thanks again for today Mike, fantastic service 🙂

IMG_3485.JPG

1 hour ago, George said:

That's really good to hear as I'm planning to go there in the new year for this exact setup. 

How loud do you find it, would it be fine for daily motorway driving?

I've got the same setup, EL manifold, Milltek overpipe, TD decat and resonated system, so no cats. It's not quiet if you're on it, but it's fine when cruising. 

1 hour ago, George said:

How loud do you find it, would it be fine for daily motorway driving?

Well... I think this kind of thing is very subjective, what one person may find totally fine might drive someone else completely mad!

Objectively, it's a fair bit louder than standard! The volume very much depends on how far open the throttle is and where in the rev range you are though! For example, very light throttle/engine load to maintain 70mph in 6th (like with cruise control on) and its a nice noise. Not loud and intrusive, you can hear it above the road/tyre/wind noise, but you can drown it out with the stereo!

However, if you then floor it to overtake (still in 6th say) it will be significantly louder and a drone/bellow due to the extra engine load! 

At higher revs the noise is more of a rasp than a bellow...

It's significantly louder than standard on cold start in the mornings and I was a little concerned to begin with that it's too loud, but it's grown on me (not had any complaints from the neighbours... yet!).

In my opinion it's a nice pleasant noise that's better than standard and gets louder and angrier the harder you drive the car... Which is kind of perfect I think 🙂

Glad to hear another happy customer, I'll be doing the same thing (with JDL uel) in Feb / March, hope TD aren't too booked up!

Its great to consistently read good things about this tune for this car at TD, so many seem to be staying NA because the results are significant enough to do so!

Looking forward to it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TommyC said:

Well... I think this kind of thing is very subjective, what one person may find totally fine might drive someone else completely mad!

Objectively, it's a fair bit louder than standard! The volume very much depends on how far open the throttle is and where in the rev range you are though! For example, very light throttle/engine load to maintain 70mph in 6th (like with cruise control on) and its a nice noise. Not loud and intrusive, you can hear it above the road/tyre/wind noise, but you can drown it out with the stereo!

However, if you then floor it to overtake (still in 6th say) it will be significantly louder and a drone/bellow due to the extra engine load! 

At higher revs the noise is more of a rasp than a bellow...

It's significantly louder than standard on cold start in the mornings and I was a little concerned to begin with that it's too loud, but it's grown on me (not had any complaints from the neighbours... yet!).

In my opinion it's a nice pleasant noise that's better than standard and gets louder and angrier the harder you drive the car... Which is kind of perfect I think 🙂

That's sounds about rite for me, I find the standard car way to quiet even with my foot flat to the floor. My wife drives the car aswell though so the super resonated cat back may be better for me to keep her happy and still have the nice tone for me. 

3 hours ago, George said:

That's sounds about rite for me, I find the standard car way to quiet even with my foot flat to the floor. My wife drives the car aswell though so the super resonated cat back may be better for me to keep her happy and still have the nice tone for me. 

I still have the 'sound tube' connected. It's probably making things sound worse than they actually are... I'll disconnect it and see what the difference is.

(I know many people have done this already, but I quite liked it with the standard exhaust).

3 hours ago, Kaltorak said:

Glad it's suiting you so well, can't wait to get it fitted in mine!

Did you have much of a drive back home from TD to enjoy it? 

The journey is about 1hr30 but there was a fair bit of traffic so not many chances to explore the new feel/performance 😕

Popped to see a mate about 20-30mins away this evening though. It's a twisty route there too and it was most enjoyable 😁

9 hours ago, TommyC said:

I still have the 'sound tube' connected. It's probably making things sound worse than they actually are... I'll disconnect it and see what the difference is.

(I know many people have done this already, but I quite liked it with the standard exhaust).

Is there a how to on removing this?

3 minutes ago, George said:

Is there a how to on removing this?

Easy way is take the 12v cap from the power socket in the glove box, then look under your pedals you will see a hole where the sound enters the cabin. The cap fits the tube fine so you can test and remove if you don’t like in less than a minute

To respond to a couple of points: yes, the sound is subjective and each person finds it different. For me, the super-resonated is perfect whereas the resonated was too loud and droney at speed. My other half drove the other day and strangely it sounded quieter from the passenger side. I'm at Bulldog Twyford right now, having it serviced, and it sounded lovely when they started it up and drove it in.

The sound pipe can be neatly deleted by having the TD inlet pipe installed.

As for power, the TD NA kit does exactly what is needed and improves midrange torque where it matters. Every time I think I want the turbo I drive the car and once again remark at the superb balance of handling, response and performance. Not to mention surprisingly good ride and economy, important for my 60 mile daily commute.