Oghero

Stock steering wheel reach extension

Anyone know which hubs or extension kits i should be looking at to increase the reach extension keeping the stock steering wheel?

I think a lot of others also have this issue where the wheel just doesn't come towards the driver quite close enough. But i haven't seen anyone talk about increasing this extension without having to change the wheel for an aftermarket one too.

I might go aftermarket if there's no other choices, but I'd really love to be able to keep the airbag and steering wheel controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only options i know which provide something similar but not exactly what you ask for are J-Luth (in different finishes (black top, red top, carbon top) and it's different branded variants, eg. Kei!s, ATC Sport SW02731) steering wheels, that are smaller, 2cm closer to driver, retain stock airbag. I bought J-Luth black top one, but had it retrimmed, to add red center line on top. You can see some of them here.

Slight drawbacks - imho light and wipers stalks are a bit too far for best operating for ones with short fingers, and i'd prefer side spokes to be narrower for easer grip around with fingers. Overall i like it though, and due it being smaller diameter i have more space for knees when heal & toeing, and due being closer, i have less compromised seating pose, when i lean seat back further back, to gain headroom, when wearing helmet.

Other aftermarket steering wheels retaining stock airbag are of different shapes/finishes/sizes, but IIRC all are not at offset/closer to driver.

No "spacers"/"extensions" i know of, that would help relocate steering wheel. Except .. if one is willing to loose stock airbag, as with quick disconnect steering wheel hub there is very wide steering wheel selection, including ones with very deep offset. But only option that retains airbag and is closer to driver, ones mentioned in first sentence of my post.

Am 5’4” female. I need booster cushion in racing seats. My stock seats on high setting plus wheel fully extended l am fine. Have primo so possibly different to normal stock?

26 minutes ago, Angelina said:

Am 5’4” female. I need booster cushion in racing seats. My stock seats on high setting plus wheel fully extended l am fine. Have primo so possibly different to normal stock?

I'm 5ft 5" or 166cms as I prefer to say, I run the seat on the lowest position and pretty much the same with the wheel. Never had an issue with reach, I can bring it closer which I do when I'm on track, but there's plenty of adjustment and more reach than I need. Primo won't be any different. 

Solutions for the OP are a deeper dished wheeel though you will end up further from the stalks. 

Imho it's not about height, but also about body proportions, eg. leg length/body length/hands length and such. After all, for ideal pose one needs to be from pedals with legs still bent some to tire less and be able to push on pedals stronger, and also back of seat needs to be at certain distance, so that steering wheel can be held with bent lengths, again for less tiredness and finer control. I'm not too long, ~ 185cm, and i could manage ideal pose in stock car for daily driving .. but unfortunately that meant if i also was wearing helmet, as on track i do, i needed to compromise for helmet to not touch roof. Be it with too lowered back of seat and too far steering wheel with almost straight hands, or moving seat too close to steering wheel, resulting in too bent legs / knees interfering with steering wheel. Offset/closer to driver steering wheel alleviates that somewhat. Other option - aftermarket bucket seats with low profile mount (and such seats should also be used with rollcage (which in turn mandates helmet usage) and multipoint harnesses and all that combo is not street legal here).

Oh, for extra headroom there is also option of trimming seat cushions and slightly revelding base to sit lower, but so far i havent't yet decided on it.

Only options i know which provide something similar but not exactly what you ask for are J-Luth (in different finishes (black top, red top, carbon top) and it's different branded variants, eg. Kei!s, ATC Sport SW02731) steering wheels, that are smaller, 2cm closer to driver, retain stock airbag. I bought J-Luth black top one, but had it retrimmed, to add red center line on top. You can see some of them here.
Slight drawbacks - imho light and wipers stalks are a bit too far for best operating for ones with short fingers, and i'd prefer side spokes to be narrower for easer grip around with fingers. Overall i like it though, and due it being smaller diameter i have more space for knees when heal & toeing, and due being closer, i have less compromised seating pose, when i lean seat back further back, to gain headroom, when wearing helmet.
Other aftermarket steering wheels retaining stock airbag are of different shapes/finishes/sizes, but IIRC all are not at offset/closer to driver.
No "spacers"/"extensions" i know of, that would help relocate steering wheel. Except .. if one is willing to loose stock airbag, as with quick disconnect steering wheel hub there is very wide steering wheel selection, including ones with very deep offset. But only option that retains airbag and is closer to driver, ones mentioned in first sentence of my post.

Thanks for this info, i had found a couple options similar to this but they all have the prefacelift design without steering wheel controls... I think im likely going to need to sacrifice this and maybe even have to sacrifice my cruise control also then when i choose one. Unless i can find a company who not just customise the wheel trim etc but also add the thickness behind it.. that might do the trick.

Thanks for the links though, they actually look pretty sick too. Definitely a fan of the centre stripe and extra girth!

I'm 5ft 5" or 166cms as I prefer to say, I run the seat on the lowest position and pretty much the same with the wheel. Never had an issue with reach, I can bring it closer which I do when I'm on track, but there's plenty of adjustment and more reach than I need. Primo won't be any different. 
Solutions for the OP are a deeper dished wheeel though you will end up further from the stalks. 

Yeah i think i might just have abnormally long legs or short arms then...

I may say that my fingers might be of "musician type", long. Also due steering wheel lesser diameter one needs less angle fingers behind steering wheel to touch them. I have no problems operating stalks with offset wheel, but some people may have shorter fingers and imho that may make operating them less comfortable.

P.S. There is reason why i wrote about full combo that should accompany bucketseats. - For people to not blindly buy/install them ignoring potential safety hazzards (that will fail MOT in my country and may not pass some pre-race inspections). From several people tracking heavily or even racing i've heard that one should choose one OR another, never some incomplete mix, from safety measures, as they are designed to work together. For example - stock airbags expect for body motion/position in certain way/place during crash. For that you have both seat adjustability (many bucketseats don't have) for every driver, stock seat sides won't be in way of side airbags, belts are designed to allow for body to move in certain way, be in certain position for airbags to work (instead of maybe even injuring driver), allow without that hard fixing into seat to not get killed due flattened roof during rollover. With bucketseat you almost give up airbags, so you need good multipoint belts, which need for proper mounting points/angles and to prevent submarining at least some bolton harness, but better roll cage, which also protects against from flattened roof in rollover when you are fixed in strong constructed bucket seat, and roll cage needs helmet to not split skull on it. Wearing helmet and having bucket seat with head side protectors will limit side and rear visibility. No airbags - also hans device advisable to protect against neck injuries.

About the only extra addition to "stock safety set" i'd use - some CG-lock or childseat belt bracket alike gimmick to fix somewhat stock belt at lower portion & with moving seat back/lock belt/move seat back to tension belt, to fix a bit belt at shoulder part. And if one goes for seat upgrade, one imho should go for some closer to "street" seats recaros, with also reclaiming/adjustable back, instead of "real" "full" bucket seat and multipoint harness, despite such seat/belt having lower weight (due one piece construction and materials), much better side support, and much better fixing in seat, easing handling on track during high side-g curves (i hate bruises on my knees after track days, as i often use knees to keep better in place during high speed cornering/slalom transitions).

I just bit the bullet and ordered from 86worx shop i linked (IIRC canadian?). IIRC they even had posted here. (mind you, from ones here, only Key!s & J-Luth ones are with offset. Others offer smaller size/different shape (eg. D-shape), shape of grip, materials/finish, but of stock offset). Originally these wheels IIRC are made somewhere in Japan. You of course can search, maybe you'll find some cheaper price+shipping price. And if so, you can also add to search that ATC Sport wheel.

J-Luth Black Top Steering Wheel   $749.99
Shipping & Handling: $42.55 (to Latvia)
Grand Total: $792.54

+don't exactly remember, how much for import charges.

I guess, most wheels that retain stock airbag, cost a lot, as it's not just simple metallic plate as base for wheels that use quick disconnect hub, but hard to design/make complex shape metallic base, R&D & making costs of which needs to be recouped.

4 hours ago, Church said:

I just bit the bullet and ordered from 86worx shop i linked (IIRC canadian?). IIRC they even had posted here. (mind you, from ones here, only Key!s & J-Luth ones are with offset. Others offer smaller size/different shape (eg. D-shape), shape of grip, materials/finish, but of stock offset). Originally these wheels IIRC are made somewhere in Japan. You of course can search, maybe you'll find some cheaper price+shipping price. And if so, you can also add to search that ATC Sport wheel.

J-Luth Black Top Steering Wheel   $749.99
Shipping & Handling: $42.55 (to Latvia)
Grand Total: $792.54

+don't exactly remember, how much for import charges.

I guess, most wheels that retain stock airbag, cost a lot, as it's not just simple metallic plate as base for wheels that use quick disconnect hub, but hard to design/make complex shape metallic base, R&D & making costs of which needs to be recouped.

How do you find the wheel? I think I might have to save and order one next year

As in how i found? I just had similar difficulties as you, with, when seat was moved further to front, for right hands position when seat back reclaimed back for headroom with helmet, often knees hitting steering wheel, when heal & toe. Started googling/searching around in forums if there are some "spacers" or alike, to extend steering wheel back, just that it happened year or two ago :). Found that no such spacers exist, only options deep-dish steering wheels with quick disconnect hub or if with stock airbag, then only these. Searched around shops options, bookmarked. Finally decided/bought that wheel/paid to retrim (to add red centerline stripe) and installed this summer. Mentioned my experience and observed cons (far placed control stalks & too wide horizontal spokes of wheel) here.