George

Coilovers for Street car

13 hours ago, George said:

Actually I'm quite torn between the tein and KW.  Surly the tein having the hydraulic bump stop will go some way to leaving me with pretty good ride comfort. And adjusting front camber on the top plate will be easier to adjust come alignment time. Faster for me to fit aswell as I won't have to get the spring compressors out. 

Hmm have to have a think. 

Lucas@PartBox,  best price for KW and rear arms and best price for tein and rear arms.

Thanks. 

KW V1 +  Whiteline Lower Control Arms  £1110 Delivered

Tein Flex A (without H.B.S.) + Whiteline Lower Control Arms = £1140 Delivered
(I'll have to get in touch with Tein UK and confirm the price of the Flex A's with HBS as we don't have them listed here - They'll be more than originally quoted £900)

52 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

(I'll have to get in touch with Tein UK and confirm the price of the Flex A's with HBS as we don't have them listed here - They'll be more than originally quoted £900)

@Lucas@PartBox The Flex A's all come with the H.B.S.

The Flex Z are the ones without it.

Interesting thread as I am in the same boat. GT86 for me is also a road car with a few track days a year. Run Ebaich springs and stock dampers at present which I am happy with but after the last few track days and going out on circuit in other peoples 86's with coilovers there is a noticeable improvement in the damping so I think I will head that way myself.

@George from my bum dyno testing the Teins on a gt86 feel as close as you can get to stock suspension ride wise. If not slightly better. I also come from a Honda background and can confirm they ride a lot smoother and softer then the Miester R and HSD monopros I had on my EP3 over its life time.

Also I would be impressed if anyone is having trouble with RBF fluid in a NA GT86 on track. I just use a good quality fluid and change it often and have had zero trouble :)

For under 1k Tein Flex As are pretty good.

Few guys on the forum had a ride in my car at Bedford set at 4 clicks from hard both front and rear and for road I set them at 8 clicks (mid way) front and 9 rear. Although with more than 10 clicks (2 softer from mid way) seem a bit too bouncy for my liking.

I thought 2017 stock suspension was already quite good, but wanted larger/ wider wheels and adjustable for occaisional track days. Went for Flex A based on comments from this forum and price seemed right.

Hope they will last as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have to agree. Iv never heard of anyone having trouble with tein and no one seems to have a bad word to say about them. Especially when talking about ride comfort over all out performance. 

Thanks Lucas@PartBox. I'll PM you. 

Also don't forget with TEINS you can have the benefit of EDFC Active-Pro. Even better. I've had mine on for about 100K miles. They were serviced two years ago when they'd done 50K miles. No issues at all with the dampers, only thing was I needed a new top mount as the thread had pulled on it. The EDFC has been faultless in 100K miles too. 

Sorry to bomb the thread but there is a question about suspension that I can't find an official answer to: Why do coilovers use a smaller diameter spring to OEM? Is it purely to save weight? If so why don't OEM use them in the first place. 

Not all coilovers use smaller. Yes, many, but that's not cut in stone. I guess, each of coilover makers has their own "parts inventory/bin", they reuse in different their products. If some potential customers at some point may have wished also smaller diameter springs for eg. extra wheel clearance or weight savings, and some past coilovers were designed for that too, it probably makes sense keep using parts designed around specific sizes for future coilovers too, instead of doubling part bin. After all, what matters is spring rate, which can be got same in different diameter springs, and quality, for springs not to sag by time for example. OEMs may target more "good enough" at as cheap as possible costs. Who knows, maybe it's cheaper to make larger diameter spring of same rate (my guess), after all, even 5$ saved on springs used in hundreds of thousands of vehicles will accumulate large savings total. Clearance also not an issue for OE, as only stock wheel/tire clearance at stock alignment needs to be ensured.

On 06/12/2018 at 8:39 AM, Lucas@PartBox said:

KW V1 +  Whiteline Lower Control Arms  £1110 Delivered

Hello mate. Never got a response, you still offering these?

Let us know how you get on please George. I'm running the same set up as Gavin_t and was happy enough with it until I moved. The roads round me now are terrible and I find the car crashes around too much over potholes and speed humps for my liking being just on lowering springs.  From what is described above the Tein's sound like a better set up. 

3 minutes ago, Shippers said:

Let us know how you get on please George. I'm running the same set up as Gavin_t and was happy enough with it until I moved. The roads round me now are terrible and I find the car crashes around too much over potholes and speed humps for my liking being just on lowering springs.  From what is described above the Tein's sound like a better set up. 

No worries mate, will do. Not sure if I'll have them by Christmas and I'm still looking for wheels aswell. Soon as it's done though I'll update 

I'm not 100% sure yet. I know what size I want, 17x8 Et35. Not a huge selection of wheels in this exact size. At the moment my favourite are the rota blitz in hyper silver. 

At the moment I have decided to hold off buying wheels till after Christmas now to make sure I know what I want. 

Advantage of that though is I can test the coilovers properly. I'm going to fit them and have them set to standard ride hight and put back on the standard wheels. That way I can get an exact comparison in ride comfort and performance. 

And I won't tell the wife iv changed them so be interesting to see if she notices a change ;)

That's the size I'm after. @will300 has the same wheel size with tein flex a set at a good height and it looks really good up close. I doubt your wife will notice if she thinks its already a bumpy car. 

Jr racing and konig have quite a few in 17x8.

Have you considered BC Racing coilovers?

I have the BC BR Series on mine, i have them set to about and inch lower than standard an I haven't noticed any difference from standard. They have 22 different Hard - Soft settings on the top mount which is very noticeable, I have had them on the highest hard setting and highest soft setting, daily i have them mid way and the ride is perfect, handles great through corners but still has comfort of standard suspension. 

FYI i will be putting these up for sale next week.

On 13/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, Owen Johnston said:

Have you considered BC Racing coilovers?

I have the BC BR Series on mine, i have them set to about and inch lower than standard an I haven't noticed any difference from standard. They have 22 different Hard - Soft settings on the top mount which is very noticeable, I have had them on the highest hard setting and highest soft setting, daily i have them mid way and the ride is perfect, handles great through corners but still has comfort of standard suspension. 

FYI i will be putting these up for sale next week.

How come you're selling them Owen?

On 05/12/2018 at 8:34 AM, George said:

Hello folks

I'm looking to drop my car about an inch on coilovers. I also want the full adjustability of coilovers. My question is what are the best ones to go for with a budget up to £1000. I'd like to improve the handling a bit but keep the ride comfort. The country roads where I am are pretty bumpy and the stock suspension feels pretty hard on them so don't want anything that will make it way worse. The car is mainly driven on the roads but may see the odd track day. 

Iv read a lot of good things about tein flex A but most of the threads are now quite old and suspension technology can change a lot in a few years, companies that weren't that good two years ago my be great now. 

How are people's tein's, meisterR, BC racing coilovers fairing up after a few years and are they comfy to live with on a daily basis. 

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks all