Kaltorak

Camber steer after new tires.

Hi all. 

I recently swapped over to new tires. Since the change I noticed the car was pulling to the left, I attributed this to a change to tracking. However this weekend I took a trip down to my folks. I noticed on parts of the motorway that were cambered to the right the car would pull with it. 

It's this something you have experienced when driving the twins on non primacy tires, and it's this something I need to worry about? 

First and quickest/simplest thing to check - if pressure in all tires is ok and even. Drive into any fuel station and check it. After all, often tire shops fitting tires do sloppy job, when pumping up just mounted tires pressure wise. Or one of tires may leak a bit. And while checking pressure, at same occasion get wrench from rear trunk and tighten wheel lugnuts. I doubt for them to cause issues, but why not do that too.

In general, different tires shouldn't cause issues you described (except if uneven tire air pressure). About the only possibility for such in my mind comes that primacies before that had that little of grip that you didn't notice handling issues, or something by rare chance coincided in time with tire change. Hitting/bending/moving in joints/bushings/mounts in suspension somewhere. I'd drive to suspension alignment shop and would check/dial alignment. Pulling to one side sounds like uneven toe.

Hi Kaltorak,

If you car is gently following the natural camber in the road that is perfectly normal I'd imagine? After all the car is following the path of least resistance and gravity. It's another thing if the car is pulling sharply then you might have a problem. 

The best thing to check is on a perfectly flat section of road that has no apparent camber and see if the car pulls in any direction. As Church has also correctly advised, check wheel nut torque, pressures and an alignment check. 

It may be that you have fitted directional or asymmetric tyres and I've found that they are more sensitive to tramlining where the car will follow grooves and ruts in the road. Tyres that have a continuous band of rubber are more prone to this issue. 

Hope this helps.