Captain Duff

What happens when you wash your key fob

It finally happened, the other day I left my key fob in a pair of jeans that went in the wash. Only found out when they came out following 2 1/2 hours on a 40 degree with fast spin and feared the worse. Amazingly when I took it apart there was not a drop of water/moisture/condensation inside it as nothing had penetrated the internal seals,  and after a quick dry of the outer case it worked perfectly. I'll try not to do it again, and my leather key fob will never be right again (even after lots of leather conditioner applied to it) but top marks to Toyota for the design!

It finally happened, the other day I left my key fob in a pair of jeans that went in the wash. Only found out when they came out following 2 1/2 hours on a 40 degree with fast spin and feared the worse. Amazingly when I took it apart there was not a drop of water/moisture/condensation inside it as nothing had penetrated the internal seals,  and after a quick dry of the outer case it worked perfectly. I'll try not to do it again, and my leather key fob will never be right again (even after lots of leather conditioner applied to it) but top marks to Toyota for the design!

If it works why did you pull it apart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Angelina said:

If it works why did you pull it apartemoji51.png

I opened it to get the water out, only to find that there wasn't any, it isn't a case of pulling it apart, just opening it as you would to replace the battery, which coincidentally I'd done a couple of weeks earlier, it's quite a neat design all round actually, with the hidden key fitting the slot to open it.

I opened it to get the water out, only to find that there wasn't any, it isn't a case of pulling it apart, just opening it as you would to replace the battery, which coincidentally I'd done a couple of weeks earlier, it's quite a neat design all round actually, with the hidden key fitting the slot to open it.

Fair do. Got my battery replaced at dealers, when i pull things apart I always have problems reassembling them

13 hours ago, Angelina said:

Fair do. Got my battery replaced at dealers, when i pull things apart I always have problems reassembling them emoji51.png

It's fool-proof once you know -

1. Push the side button marked 'push', pressing at the 'p' end.

2. When the side button is depressed pull the part at the top with the hole for your keyring etc. This is actually the end of the hidden manual door key that allows you to unlock your door if the electrics (or battery) has failed.

3. With the key out it reveals a small slot that the end of the key fits into.

4. Twist the key and the key fob will come apart (you will also need to pull it to complete this).

5. You can the access and change the battery.

6. re-assembling is as simple as pushing to two fob halves together and reinserting the key (it will lock back into position itself).

I say this as it is always worth knowing how to do it and it is also worth keeping a spare battery in the car somewhere (it is a CR1632). That way if the battery for whatever reason failed when you were away from home you would be able to replace it to get yourself home and without an AA/RAC call out (although when the battery is going it will start to show red on the dash board light to indicate it needs a new battery).

Captain Duff: i'd extend those advises with keeping spare battery out of fob, for it to not get drained.

nerdstrike: no, it lights up some key related light on dash, when battery/signal is weak. Too lazy to check for details in manual. Also even with weak battery it was supposed to still start with fob near start button IIRC.

It's fool-proof once you know -
1. Push the side button marked 'push', pressing at the 'p' end.
2. When the side button is depressed pull the part at the top with the hole for your keyring etc. This is actually the end of the hidden manual door key that allows you to unlock your door if the electrics (or battery) has failed.
3. With the key out it reveals a small slot that the end of the key fits into.
4. Twist the key and the key fob will come apart (you will also need to pull it to complete this).
5. You can the access and change the battery.
6. re-assembling is as simple as pushing to two fob halves together and reinserting the key (it will lock back into position itself).

I say this as it is always worth knowing how to do it and it is also worth keeping a spare battery in the car somewhere (it is a CR1632). That way if the battery for whatever reason failed when you were away from home you would be able to replace it to get yourself home and without an AA/RAC call out (although when the battery is going it will start to show red on the dash board light to indicate it needs a new battery).

As I have a primo, l have a key for ignition, so battery running out not such a problem. Good idea to keep a spare in the cat though. Thanks

A spare in the cat? With keyless entry it wouldn't matter mostly, but the cat might be traumatised by what could be daily vet visits.

You'll be the luckier one if thieves get the better of Toyota's keyless encryption. I'm hoping their engineers have done a good job on it, but I fear the worst.

A spare in the cat? With keyless entry it wouldn't matter mostly, but the cat might be traumatised by what could be daily vet visits.
You'll be the luckier one if thieves get the better of Toyota's keyless encryption. I'm hoping their engineers have done a good job on it, but I fear the worst.

Senior moment . In that respect I am happy to have primo.

Imho if thieves really will decide on it, no increased safety measures will prevent it. Mine is insured, so i decided against adding/using extra safeguards like those of signal blocker bags for keyless fobs or hidden custom killswitches in car or gps trackers. If it will get stolen i'll get insurance money, but won't have to deal with extra hassles those extra safeguards may bring. It's just as with wheel lock nuts. They probably won't fend of thieves, yet will bring inconvenience.

Imho if thieves really will decide on it, no increased safety measures will prevent it. Mine is insured, so i decided against adding/using extra safeguards like those of signal blocker bags for keyless fobs or hidden custom killswitches in car or gps trackers. If it will get stolen i'll get insurance money, but won't have to deal with extra hassles those extra safeguards may bring.

Agreed

If the battery is flat, you enter the pin code in the glovebox to stop the alarm sounding, then touch the fob onto the start button ring for the car to recognise  the transponder and press the button  to start.