Jump to content
Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, willfmair said:

Yup, I think we were parked next to each other at the Sunday Service a couple of weeks ago :)

 

Press cars! 

Anyway I best stop detailing the thread :D 

Edit: isn’t this your exact car?

 

Ah yer there she is :lol: what a slut deffo gets around!

Although has that video got a weird filter on as it's the wrong colour??? :unsure:

 

FB_IMG_1539000984258.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny thing. Went to the dealer this morning as per the appointment - got the keys from the courtesy car, was just about to leave and then somebody came up to me to and said that they can't actually do it as they don't have the parts. So, let's just wait until December :D no point being eager like me. I just wanted it sorted asap as my car has a persistent camshaft/VVTI error code that I was hoping to get sorted by this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Funny thing. Went to the dealer this morning as per the appointment - got the keys from the courtesy car, was just about to leave and then somebody came up to me to and said that they can't actually do it as they don't have the parts. So, let's just wait until December :D no point being eager like me. I just wanted it sorted asap as my car has a persistent camshaft/VVTI error code that I was hoping to get sorted by this. 

The valve springs being changed wont fix your issue , if it is like the few we have diagnosed it will be a valve  control soleniold I expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, maurice said:

Going off rough numbers on how many left, I think around half of all GT86's will be affected by this recall. Most were sold early on, and a trickle since. Makes sense, as most people on the forum seem to be affected.

Call it roughly 2500 cars. There's 177 Toyota dealers in the UK, so that's an average of 14 engine removal and strip downs each. Given most Toyota dealers probably haven't taken apart a boxer engine before this is going to get very interesting. That's before you take into account that a relatively high ratio of 86's will be modified.

My experience with two Toyota dealerships and the Subaru boxer is that the technicians are not keen to work on the boxer. And that was before I had the charger fitted.  Maybe their training has not been so comprehensive due to the small numbers of our cars sold compared with their bread and butter engines? Who knows!  Alright, they may HAVE to do the work, and guarantee it, but I think in some cases the mindset of the technician tackling it may not be best placed to ensure a perfect job.  Can't see this recall being embraced with open arms by the dealerships, unless we can all go to Macclesfield. 

I am going to chat to my local Subaru  dealership, who also sell the Alfa and Abarth ranges,  to see how they are viewing this.  They deal with complex Italian engines and are obviously well trained on the Subaru flat four. They fitted my supercharger and I trust them.  Maybe I will have to suck up the cost for the piece of mind.  I intend to wait to see the results of some of the work done by Toyota to see what issues arise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Subota Boy said:

My experience with two Toyota dealerships and the Subaru boxer is that the technicians are not keen to work on the boxer. And that was before I had the charger fitted.  Maybe their training has not been so comprehensive due to the small numbers of our cars sold compared with their bread and butter engines? Who knows!  Alright, they may HAVE to do the work, and guarantee it, but I think in some cases the mindset of the technician tackling it may not be best placed to ensure a perfect job.  Can't see this recall being embraced with open arms by the dealerships, unless we can all go to Macclesfield. 

I am going to chat to my local Subaru  dealership, who also sell the Alfa and Abarth ranges,  to see how they are viewing this.  They deal with complex Italian engines and are obviously well trained on the Subaru flat four. They fitted my supercharger and I trust them.  Maybe I will have to suck up the cost for the piece of mind.  I intend to wait to see the results of some of the work done by Toyota to see what issues arise.

 

Training ? Just can't see them spending any money on it for a car that they might not see much Keith I must agree RRG would be the only ones I would go anywhere near  being trustworthy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of training they may also have step-by-step detailed instructions, that they will carefully follow .. at very slow rate. Luckily this time Toyota will pay (and also may have some generic set of time planned/charged for this specific work by some theoretical average toyota servicemen), otherwise, hourly pay rates, ya know .. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still hoping they give us all a brand new engine! I bet they're pretty concerned with the potential kick back from the inevitable cock ups. Even if 10% go wrong the reputational damage could sink the Supra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shiftspark said:

I can also see people asking for the plugs etc to be done at the same time and being charged a not to small amount as it won’t be as bad as the £600 service charge.

If the engine is out, I'd expect them to charge the cost of the sparks and 30 mins labour max as it'll add an extra 5 mins onto the job.

 

2 hours ago, Church said:

Instead of training they may also have step-by-step detailed instructions, that they will carefully follow .. at very slow rate. Luckily this time Toyota will pay (and also may have some generic set of time planned/charged for this specific work by some theoretical average toyota servicemen), otherwise, hourly pay rates, ya know .. :)

From my knowledge of Toyota recalls, most less labour intense admittedly, is that they will take their time on the 1st few but then get the knowledge and then the process speeds up. I believe the same techs get to do it as well and based on the numbers each dealer will see at least a handful. I'm seeing my mate tomorrow so will pick his brains before I decide whether to send it in to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, knightryder said:

If the engine is out, I'd expect them to charge the cost of the sparks and 30 mins labour max as it'll add an extra 5 mins onto the job.

 

From my knowledge of Toyota recalls, most less labour intense admittedly, is that they will take their time on the 1st few but then get the knowledge and then the process speeds up. I believe the same techs get to do it as well and based on the numbers each dealer will see at least a handful. I'm seeing my mate tomorrow so will pick his brains before I decide whether to send it in to them.

...decide whether to send it in to them. 

As in, just leave the valve springs as they are and not have it done? Or did you mean take it elsehwere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish you could take a car into a Subaru shop for the recall. I'm certain not, but at least they have practice with boxers. Either that or mandatory Mighty Car Mods for the Toyota mechanics...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, knightryder said:

If the engine is out, I'd expect them to charge the cost of the sparks and 30 mins labour max as it'll add an extra 5 mins onto the job.

RRP on a set of plugs is over £100 I think, so not "cheap", but not £600 either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 10:58 PM, gazza82 said:

Recall

 

Total Recall ??

 

Subaru has not said how many cars are being recalled in Canada or the US, but in Japan, the number is a staggering 101,000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rich said:

RRP on a set of plugs is over £100 I think, so not "cheap"

They are surprisingly expensive aren't they. I seem to remember I found them for £15 a plug somehwhere but only made by Denso and no NGK equivalent, which is a shame.

On 06/11/2018 at 10:35 PM, DGT86R said:

...decide whether to send it in to them. 

As in, just leave the valve springs as they are and not have it done? Or did you mean take it elsehwere?

If it's getting done it's going in there. I just need to weigh up my options with the charger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2018 at 6:28 PM, GT86-Ian said:

Total Recall ??

 

Subaru has not said how many cars are being recalled in Canada or the US, but in Japan, the number is a staggering 101,000

UK number 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark@Abbey: i guess you may double your chances if also inquiring @Subaru (in case if PN change and/or disclosed new spring PN will differ from Toyota)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Church said:

Mark@Abbey: i guess you may double your chances if also inquiring @Subaru (in case if PN change and/or disclosed new spring PN will differ from Toyota)

We have a good relationship with our Toyota dealership so lets see what they come back with before going hunting any further afield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×