Swinginking

Reducing Nvidia N1 Exhaust Drone

Hi, I thought I should do a quick write up about this so others with the same exhaust, or similar problem have some guidance from my experience.

Nvidia N1 and some other exhausts suffer from a lot of bad drone around 3k RPM, but other than that it sounds too sweet for me to replace so I've tried some fixes for it and here are the two which seem to have somewhat worked for me.

The first thing I did was do some sound deadening around the car boot, this did not so much in terms of reducing drone but it reduced vibration of the metal so it made the car more pleasant. I have not fully sound deadening the boot though as it adds unnecessary weight in my opinion, therefore I have used 3-4 sheets on the top of the boot and this is enough to deaden most vibrations.

The whole boot does not need to be covered for it to be effective.  The sheets I used were Silentcoat 2mm.

Further, placed two sheets on the panel underneath of the boot, this looks like a silver curved sheet of metal right behind the 3rd brake light. If anything knocked or touched it, this panel made a sound as if it was a hollow barrel. So by cleaning this panel, and placing two sound deadening sheets, this for me reduced the drone, not by a lot but it did have a noticeable effect. 

Lastly, the one modification which made a huge difference for me is the HKS Duel Resonated Front pipe. Replacing the oem from pipe with this seems to have reduced the drone drastically. Mind you, the exhaust is still on the loud side, but the heavy drone around the 3k RPM on the Nvidia N1 for me is more than manageable.  I highly recommend this particular modification if you do suffer from droning in the car.

From my research, another modification which I have not yet done, is adding a Heimholtz chamber to the exhaust, however I have not yet decided which part of the exhaust I should put this on. But would most likely do this after a Manifold upgrade in order to reduce the overall noise.

Thanks for reading,

Hopefully it helps