willclarke

Are newer tyres softer?

Just put 2 new primacy hps on the 86,on the front. They are noticeably softer on turn in, and not quite as direct as the old ones (end of life) , even though they are the exact same tyre, same pressure and even same speed rating. I had them on the back initially and felt it there before swapping over (rotating tyres).

Do new tyres 'bed in' and stiffen up?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tyres do go hard with age. Check the date stamp on your old ones. I wouldn't fit tyres that were over two years old for this reason. New tyres always feel better though. It takes a little bit of time to scrub them in. 

Completely new tires may still have some lubricant from manufacturing mold (and maybe for storage?) left, but it propagates until it wears off after few first hundred miles driven not in extra sidewall softness of tire, but not showing full grip initially. How long have you driven new ones? And are really new ones exactly the same type as old ones? (there are several primacies types IIRC out there).

As for whichever additives/oils/whatever added to rubber compound itself drying out/wearing out by long age .. not caring much about that, as not using any tire past 3rd season, and now, when i'm taking car also to track, no tire set lasts even season.

Guest EB2429

Also old tyres with 2mm tread will move around a lot less than 8mm tread. New tyre  tread blocks will move and give a soft feel

Hadn't thought of that! Good point

Also old tyres with 2mm tread with move around a lot less than 8mm tread. New tyre  tread blocks will move and give a soft feel

Softness/handling feel aside, old tire's grip itself though might be severe limited. Heard once it's past first 1/3rd of thread depth of new, most tires show way less grip, and some cheaper worse tires but simply less worn may come ahead. That alongside little thread depth left making tire much easier to aquaplane.

Some vendors claim that their are extra better exactly because they designed for good/reasonable grip even at higher levels of wear, but that might be just sales pitch.

3 hours ago, Dave86 said:

2 sets of rears to a pair of fronts about normal?

I do three sets of rears to a set of fronts. Depends how hard you work the rear really. About 7K for the reads and 20K for the fronts is what I get. 

10 hours ago, willclarke said:

Just put 2 new primacy hps on the 86,on the front. They are noticeably softer on turn in, and not quite as direct as the old ones (end of life) , even though they are the exact same tyre, same pressure and even same speed rating. I had them on the back initially and felt it there before swapping over (rotating tyres).

Do new tyres 'bed in' and stiffen up?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

You should fit new tyres on the rear ...

In future i'd use lucky fact that our cars have square tire setup and rotate tires front to rear every 10K to even out wear and get most mileage out of them, so that i have predictable rear-front grip bias, can easily change to rear in case of puncture tire from front, and change to new set all four at a time, if wished, even of other model tire.

I've got 2 more new ones in the garage ready to fit in a few weeks time just wanted to get the grip onto the front with the new ones for the time being

Sounds like I just need to get used to this, just weirdly liked how direct the 'old/worn' tyres felt over these. Would go for a stiffer tyre next time but quite like the slippyness of these primacys so guess I can't have it all!