Dr_Bob

Head unit with 3/4G

Hi,

I've had a quick search for what head unit people recommend but couldn't really find a consensus of opinion (There should be a FAQ ;-) .

Can anyone recommend something for under 400quid?

Cheers,

Rob

I'm not sure that an FAQ would be appropriate as how can you have a consensus on what head unit to fit? I would say you should fit a decent Alpine HU, though they are double the price you are looking at. There is the cheap Chinese, Joytech or something that you can get that does everything. Some like this, others don't. Just get some low-midrange brand like Kenwood or Pioneer. There should be plenty of options available. The double din unit will need a a surround to fill in the gap around the sides or you can get a few that are wide enough not to need this. Personal preference and all that. 

Fair point Lauren,

Ok, so I go for an Alpine unit, but isn't that a massive focus for theft? What happened to the nice old Kenwood units you can take out with a handle?
Maybe i'm showing my age, but this is not an easy problem to solve.

Or do I fit some sort of custom carputer with the standard head unit?

Thanks, once again for all your replies.

Cheers,

Rob

2 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

Fair point Lauren,

Ok, so I go for an Alpine unit, but isn't that a massive focus for theft? What happened to the nice old Kenwood units you can take out with a handle?
Maybe i'm showing my age, but this is not an easy problem to solve.

Or do I fit some sort of custom carputer with the standard head unit?

Thanks, once again for all your replies.

Cheers,

Rob

I've had my Alpine INE925R in my car for nearly five and a half years now. It does have a detachable front panel thing, but I've never bothered removing it. Left it in the rougher parts of town everywhere in that time. No problem. I don't think it's an issue really. The standard HU is frankly a bit rubbish, just about anything would be an improvement. 

What do you mean by 3G/4G Dr Bob? As that doesn't really make much sense in terms of headunits. What functionality is it you are after? As Lauren has stated you have 2 categories, the latest Chinese headunits, which there are many, they are crammed full of features and run full Android operating system or your conventional tried and tested high quality brands such as Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood etc. Each have their merits but it totally depends on what it is you are after.