Swinginking

How to fix a cross threaded Lug nut + bolt?

4 minutes ago, Swinginking said:

Hmm, any ideas where I can grab some? 

Only main dealer although I think other outlets do them Prehaps someone can suggest one ? Nut is no big deal just remember it's not the same pitch as Toyota as its Subaru

If one got stripped, out of precaution i'd check state of rest too. There is nothing to "fix" on old, just to replace. Most often i see mentioned ARP studs. If you want thread like OE, it's of M12x1.25 thread. If you change not just one or on not just one wheel, one can also change all to eg. M12x1.5 threaded ones, which imho should be even more thread stripping resistant, but then one also will need to replace all lugnuts with new thread. If you got stripped OE one .. imho not worth getting aftermarket aluminium lugnuts, rather some generic steel lugnuts. If replacement studs are of extra length, to further up chances of not stripping them, then worth getting longer open ended lugnuts, or otherwise closed ended ones like oem may run too short to completely secure the wheel. OE wheels (and most aftermarket ones) need so called in slang "tuners" lugnuts, of conical 60dg taper shape.

Don't know anything about local to you service shops, so of course no suggestion on that.

4 minutes ago, Swinginking said:

M.12 1.25 subaru size,  cool, 

I'm not 100% on what I'm actually looking to get but is this along the right lines? 

I'll have a chat with local sub/toy dealership too

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253662613539

Looks like something from Ben Hurs chariot 😋 Right thread though

Go to RRG Macclesfield Toyota. They have no problem with fitting aftermarket parts and Gary is akin to some kind of Jedi when it comes to sorting stuff out and fixing issues. 

I wouldn't call it no problem running wheel with one nut missing. I'd think of it as driving with spacesaver tire. For not more then few days at most and very lightly, not speeding much, not much side loads, with extra care driving around road holes & speed bumps and such, regularly checking how other lugnuts hold. I have no statistical data, how well lesser amount of nuts will hold, but wouldn't feel myself safe driving without any precautions if not having properly secured all of them.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Either RRG in Macclesfield as Lauren says or just hire a garage/ramp out. I've used Ufixautos before in Warrington which shouldn't be far 

That's a cracking idea, didn't even think places like that would exist! 

If not that then I'll be heading to Toyota Macclesfield. 

54 minutes ago, Church said:

I wouldn't call it no problem running wheel with one nut missing. I'd think of it as driving with spacesaver tire. For not more then few days at most and very lightly, not speeding much, not much side loads, with extra care driving around road holes & speed bumps and such, regularly checking how other lugnuts hold. I have no statistical data, how well lesser amount of nuts will hold, but wouldn't feel myself safe driving without any precautions if not having properly secured all of them.

That's something I will bare in mind, it's true the other bolts will have more tension on them. 

Will probably look to replace them all on the hub. 

10 hours ago, Swinginking said:

That's something I will bare in mind, it's true the other bolts will have more tension on them. 

Will probably look to replace them all on the hub. 

It'll be absolutely fine, just check the torque on the other bolts, frequently if you want to be safe. I had a situation where I lost a wheel nut and didn't notice, not sure for how long either, but probably not more than a week. I wouldn't say you have to drive the car differently. 

Just wanting to say hello to you lot. Hello.

I assume the stud will just hammer out. And you can get a replacement? Please don't run without the full complement of studs. They are easy to replace but very important.

Maybe you need to find a machine shop up there in Manchester, getting a custom made M25x1.25 stud is not that hard. Might cost 50 quid though!

Just trying to say hello. I know places that will make custom screws, bolts anything you want, but it does cost money. Sorry.

Glad to be part of this community.

Rob

I just want to make the point that Engineering is open to anyone, and we don't have to rely on technicians to fit these things.

If you can buy them off the shelf then do it. But don't be held hostage to a workshop that can't do things. There's always a third way!

Cheers

Rob

12 minutes ago, Church said:

Why custom make single one, if replacement set of all shouldn't cost too much?

Agreed, but it's a good point raised. 

I would think the studs are independent, I'm not too sure as I haven't actually looked behind the hub... 

Can someone confirm? 

I've never looked behind, but can guarantee they are independent. Just get a big hammer out and knock it out.

Get a new one and bolt it in.

If I'm wrong I'll buy you a pint! Or unsubscribe from this list!! ;-)

Rob

Toyota's eBay shop sells the studs, they're about £6-7 each from memory - and yes, they are individual studs. eBay is their official online parts shop. Nuts shouldn't be hard to come by either.

7 hours ago, Swinginking said:

7 hours ago, Swinginking said:

Prehaps someone has some spare nuts ?