McDude

Mountain Bike in the back - tips for getting it in!?

I know this has been covered before but damned if I can find the thread(s). Has anyone on here got experience of getting a mountian bike in the back of the BRZ (or GT86)?

I'm assuming it's a both-wheels-off job, but I'm hoping the pedals can stay on. Easy job? Fiddly? Going to scratch the crap out of the car?

I've got a large frame hardtail with 27.5" wheels if that helps at all. A Whyte 901 if you're interested in such things!

Ordinarily it goes on the roof of the family car, but that's not an option this time.

I have to remove the pedal on my bmx so imagine you shall have to on a big boy bike.  Depending on handle bar width you might get away with only having to remove the front wheel.

Hello fellow Essex MTB friend :P

I can get my scott scale 29er in mine with both seats down and just the wheels off.

Loads of space once in its just getting the angle right to get it through the boot opening that is tricky at first. I always drape a sheet over the rear bumper to prevent any damage if I slip. then wrap the bike in it once in.

Bit more tricky if you have big flat platform pedals but with small pedals or SPD's they go in easy.

13 minutes ago, McDude said:

Is it any easier going in via the doors or is that just asking for trouble?

More trouble then it is worth due to things getting in the way and the seat springing back etc.

Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised. Do you run flat pedals? that will be the only bit making it tricky if so.

I can get my XL Devinci Troy and my mates L Cube stereo in mine, wheels and pedals off both bikes, also got our kit for two day in wales crammed in too! Takes a bit of planning haha. 

If it’s just mine I take the non drive side pedal off and put the bike in with the gears facing up.

18 hours ago, AJ124 said:

I can get my XL Devinci Troy and my mates L Cube stereo in mine, wheels and pedals off both bikes, also got our kit for two day in wales crammed in too! Takes a bit of planning haha. 

If it’s just mine I take the non drive side pedal off and put the bike in with the gears facing up.

Impressive. Got any pics of that?

I managed to get mine in with just the front wheel off, pedals off and forks rotated round to shorted it slightly. Since then I've managed to get a rack on the back. 

I have the drawings for the bars that can be fabricated. Then it's just a Thule roof bike carrier that attaches to the bars. Works a treat. 

IMG_20180408_145301.jpg