ssscottyyy

Newbie in Glasgow

Hi,

Recently upgraded my MR2 to a gorgeous burnt orange GT86 so thought i'd join a forum to understand how to get the most out of the car.

I will typically be using it for short 20 min commutes and long drives at the weekends. I don't plan on taking it to the track.

Looking to understand what cosmetic mods there are? The double din looks a little dated and the sound system is average, do owners typically upgrade to Alpine / Pioneer?

Also, doing a little research shows the oil needs to be checked regularly and that 0w20 is the best for general use. Happy to hear thoughts or be pointed in the right direction.

Cheers,

Scott

You're up north, so you could run a thicker oil if you felt the need. The manual has a guide for ambient temperature versus viscosity if I remember correctly.

Lots of fun roads to be had in your vicinity, that's all you really need to get the most from the car. Depending on your taste, a tyre change can make a big difference to that too, especially if it's cold and damp all the time.

Most of us linger with the original head unit, but change the speakers/amp, some bung in a joying/other Chinese Android headunit with the correct size front, and a few others install Alpine/Pioneer units with a fascia insert to stop there being a gap around the head unit.

I think the stand out improvement for appearance is a small lowering of the suspension, but the ground clearance isn't great to begin with. I couldn't lower mine without grounding in the work carpark!

Welcome to the club. Another ginger eh? ;) 

The stock head unit is rubbish. I changed mine for an Alpine one and ditched all the OEM stuff for aftermarket, but it really depends how much you want to spend. I spent £3K in the end, yes my sound system is pretty amazing, but most don't want to go that far or spend that much. Changing the head unit for something decent, putting in Focal speakers in the front, simply disconnecting the rear speakers as they are totally pointless then putting a sub and amp in the boot work really well. Add a DSP and you're rocking, but again it's all about how much you want to spend on it really. 

I don't really do cosmetic mods, but there is tons of stuff available. 

Thank you both for the replies :)

Looks like the sound system and the head unit and looking for new speakers will be my first 'mod'. Will have a trawl through the board and look for users who have done similar.

On an aside the layout and format of this forum is brilliant.

Cheers,