ZN6

Classic newbie

Bought a 2012 Australian delivered zn6 that had been stored and rarely driven in a country town.

Total km at delivery 4300 km or 700 per year 14 km per week shopping or communter

Thats not many miles and first casualty was the battery.

As classic owner of a 1974 Corona GT twin cam 

A 1967 Corona 1600s 4R 

A 1989 Alltrack ST185r GT4 AWD

This is my next keeper for future gens.

Aim not to molest but to do intelligent upgrades first of which were the GTS brake rotors 299MM front and 290+ rear vented

replacing the underdone 277MM font and 289 rear solids.

By watching an MTC video that explained the exact differences between the GT and GTS brakes the upgrade was obvious and essential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q9gS4vtCUQ

Makes sense when you watch it end to end and it means you can upgrade brakes without interfering with hydraulics..

I read all the 86 forums ww, see all the trials and trivilations and wonder why folks molest these cars.

580/20000 for sale down under bit if a worry.  10 in breaker yards, 16 inch wheels for sale at $100 each heaps of upgrades to 17,18,19 inch wheels and skinny tyres.

hope prices dont go down the tube like the gt4 and suzuki gti and skylines fast and furious!

GTS brake upgrade GT86 none invasive. 

TORA ROTORS 290/299   $90 per pair, RDA Extreme Pads $170  on slotted dimpled  rotors total cost $350 AU$

Wheels JDM enkei and Potenza RE off my GT4 for testing.

Temp drop on rear 100C over same test and 2km coast to stop front 450C tests as per RDA advisory to bed in pads.

42677049_105021733806894_481733403901689

That's a cool upgrade though 99% of UK cars (excepting the 31 Primo's sold here or so) have the bigger brakes as standard, so its not something that we ever have to do really. 

Although I do a fair amount of track and sprinting,  I found that the stock (larger brakes) still don't cope that well with repeated track work, so I upgraded to AP Racing 4 Pots with 330mm discs up front. I left the rears alone and just run aftermarket pads. Now my brakes never run out. :)

38613488790_27082f8e87_c.jpgOulton Park Jan 2018 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Welcome!  I was last in Perth 20 years ago.

Depends on what you mean by 'molest', LOL!  Personally, I go for a demur close-to-stock look, but the lowering is obvious as are the wheels.  I think you can do things that don't take away from the car's pure sense of purpose.  Of course, adding a little performance is in keeping with the looks.