lewism1

Red budget build

Had my 86 for around 5 months now. Bought it at 49k miles for a good price. 

Spent a few weeks lurking on this forum working out what it is I wanted to do to the car and the list ended up totalling around £10k, so forget that. I decided to try do the things I wanted on a very small budget. 

20180303_155623.thumb.jpg.f7230caa0f42b7c345e06b477a4cdf18.jpg

First off was getting rid of the plates and adding jap style ones got them for £27.

I also wanted to get a better sound from the car but didn't want to fork out hundreds on a new system. Got my hands on a miltek cat back non resonated for £120. 

20180801_200030.jpg.e4b0ad6ccb7584eaac5219b94c2ad9bd.jpg

Next plan was wheels but my clutch release bearing was making odd noises. Took it to fensport and they fitted a new clutch for £420. Not money I planned on spending but a new clutch made me realise just how bad the previous one was. 

Next up was the lights. I am now part of the 90% and have the valenti taillights. Got them from a forum member for £170. Probably could have got the same price or cheaper from overseas but didn't want to wait months and risk them not turning up. I also sprayed my badge black but not so sure if I like it now. 

IMG_20180908_191610_813.thumb.jpg.a08e5a6f9028ae3c3af05ac0f0d8a306.jpg

Yesterday I took delivery of some Calibra Suzuka wheels. They're 7.5 with a 37 offset I believe, they're used and came with tyres with around 4mm tred on. Got them for £300. 

IMG_20180921_132023_687.thumb.jpg.9137b5889d53c1e5ee09083c763bc637.jpg

Now this is where I get a little stuck. I want to go lower but I live in fens and the roads are awful, so I really want to avoid going with springs. They'd suit my budget but I feel as if it's an area I shouldn't cheap out on. I've never lowered a car before but its something I've been reading up on, so I'm aware that coilovers would be the best option. Had a chat with the guys and fensport yesterday (they're 5 mins from my house!) and they recommended the Tein Flex Z. Coilovers are something I certainly can't fit myself, so I'll need to take around 6 hours of labour into consideration. Also, not sure if they're something I should buy used or not? Would appreciate some guidance on if so, and what to look for when buying. 

Finally, I do plan on going with the N/A package with tuning developments. I can get something similar from fensport but I'd like the dyno test and they are around 3 hours away and I promised the other half a weekend away soon so seems like an option haha! 

Ooh and, being a red car and the previous owner having bricks for hands - the swirls on my paint are horrendous. I have a friend who owns a detailing business who has offered to do me a paint correction at a discount but its still around £400. If anyone has any recommend methods to doing it myself without spending a fortune on equipment, please give me a shout. 

Very decent wheels and tyres for that price.

Don't discount going for springs, they're cheaper but not lower quality if you know what you want. It just entails keeping the stock dampers which works for me as it's my daily and I need decent ride quality. If you're not going to track (I don't) then consider them as money is tight. I have H&R Super Sports.

You might want to do a bit more research on lowering springs. There are options out there that retain the stock comfort, there is no need for coilovers. Especially if it's just for aesthetics.

1 hour ago, damo1023 said:

Nice job lewis be good to see another owner in the area, I'm just a few miles from Ely and working on mine at the moment.  lowering is always interesting in this area.

Think I've spotted you recently mate! You'll have to let me know when you're next in Ely 

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Very decent wheels and tyres for that price.

Don't discount going for springs, they're cheaper but not lower quality if you know what you want. It just entails keeping the stock dampers which works for me as it's my daily and I need decent ride quality. If you're not going to track (I don't) then consider them as money is tight. I have H&R Super Sports.

Yeah was really happy with the price and they're in perfect condition too. 

Okay, maybe I'll look a bit more into springs then. Are there any specific ones you'd recommend? 

57 minutes ago, Varelco said:

You might want to do a bit more research on lowering springs. There are options out there that retain the stock comfort, there is no need for coilovers. Especially if it's just for aesthetics.

Okay cool, are there any specific ones you'd recommend? 

Had my 86 for around 5 months now. Bought it at 49k miles for a good price. 

Spent a few weeks lurking on this forum working out what it is I wanted to do to the car and the list ended up totalling around £10k, so forget that. I decided to try do the things I wanted on a very small budget. 

20180303_155623.thumb.jpg.f7230caa0f42b7c345e06b477a4cdf18.jpg

First off was getting rid of the plates and adding jap style ones got them for £27.

I also wanted to get a better sound from the car but didn't want to fork out hundreds on a new system. Got my hands on a miltek cat back non resonated for £120. 

20180801_200030.jpg.e4b0ad6ccb7584eaac5219b94c2ad9bd.jpg

Next plan was wheels but my clutch release bearing was making odd noises. Took it to fensport and they fitted a new clutch for £420. Not money I planned on spending but a new clutch made me realise just how bad the previous one was. 

Next up was the lights. I am now part of the 90% and have the valenti taillights. Got them from a forum member for £170. Probably could have got the same price or cheaper from overseas but didn't want to wait months and risk them not turning up. I also sprayed my badge black but not so sure if I like it now. 

IMG_20180908_191610_813.thumb.jpg.a08e5a6f9028ae3c3af05ac0f0d8a306.jpg

Yesterday I took delivery of some Calibra Suzuka wheels. They're 7.5 with a 37 offset I believe, they're used and came with tyres with around 4mm tred on. Got them for £300. 

IMG_20180921_132023_687.thumb.jpg.9137b5889d53c1e5ee09083c763bc637.jpg

Now this is where I get a little stuck. I want to go lower but I live in fens and the roads are awful, so I really want to avoid going with springs. They'd suit my budget but I feel as if it's an area I shouldn't cheap out on. I've never lowered a car before but its something I've been reading up on, so I'm aware that coilovers would be the best option. Had a chat with the guys and fensport yesterday (they're 5 mins from my house!) and they recommended the Tein Flex Z. Coilovers are something I certainly can't fit myself, so I'll need to take around 6 hours of labour into consideration. Also, not sure if they're something I should buy used or not? Would appreciate some guidance on if so, and what to look for when buying. 

Finally, I do plan on going with the N/A package with tuning developments. I can get something similar from fensport but I'd like the dyno test and they are around 3 hours away and I promised the other half a weekend away soon so seems like an option haha! 

Ooh and, being a red car and the previous owner having bricks for hands - the swirls on my paint are horrendous. I have a friend who owns a detailing business who has offered to do me a paint correction at a discount but its still around £400. If anyone has any recommend methods to doing it myself without spending a fortune on equipment, please give me a shout. 

The paint is really soft so take care if machine polishing yourself. You could always start with claying . Or just pay your mate. Detailers really know what they are doing, and give great advice on keeping them nice. I also have red, they do go faster . If you do go to warrington with the other half there are a few spa hotels around there. Have have just googled as having mine done middle of next month .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[mention=2134]Angelina[/mention] yeah I think I will! I clayed and polished myself and got some of it out but bit on fence about putting a machine polisher in my incapable hands haha. Ah shell love a spa, top tip thanks! 

https://www.qhotels.co.uk/our-locations/the-park-royal/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=local . Gone for this one myself . Reasonable deals on booking.com. Also spa packages. Looks lovely , good reviews

TEIN Flex Z is a good choice, Flex A is better though for the hyrdopneumatic bumpstops. I've been in a lot of GT's. I've yet to find one with lowering springs that feels right, though I haven't tried them all. The trouble is if you put lowering springs on it doesn't match the damping and the stock dampers are not that great. Spring rates on the TEINS are 6/6kg or you can go 5/6kg which is my spring rate. 

TD NA package is a no brainer and they have a discount on ex display stock at the moment. It's a bit of a bargain. 

7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

TD NA package is a no brainer and they have a discount on ex display stock at the moment. It's a bit of a bargain. 

They've actually sold all the ex display deals already. Unfortunately. 

Re detailing, you would want to spend £200-£250 on equipment, pads and polishes. More of you wanted to do multiple stages. It took me 20hrs to do prep, 2- stage correction and protection. It wasn’t all plain sailing. A year on, and even with very careful washing, I feel it needs another skim, but I can’t find the motivation to do it again. £400 is a good deal given effort involved, especially if it’s a multi-stage correction. 

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, jw191 said:

Re detailing, you would want to spend £200-£250 on equipment, pads and polishes. More of you wanted to do multiple stages. It took me 20hrs to do prep, 2- stage correction and protection. It wasn’t all plain sailing. A year on, and even with very careful washing, I feel it needs another skim, but I can’t find the motivation to do it again. £400 is a good deal given effort involved, especially if it’s a multi-stage correction. 

Okay mate, thanks for that.

Looks good.

I would take a look at some Ebaich springs. They give a modest drop and retain the oem comfort. Love mine. Drives nice on road and track and I have done things like the north coast 500 route round Scotland on some rough roads and found no issues :D I fitted them on my drive in 2 hours so a pro will have no problems in this time frame.

Just got back from warrington with the other half. I got the NA package and she got a day out shopping in warrington and a nice lunch. Stayed in the ibis which was nice too and only £48 with all you can eat breakfast :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Looks good.

I would take a look at some Ebaich springs. They give a modest drop and retain the oem comfort. Love mine. Drives nice on road and track and I have done things like the north coast 500 route round Scotland on some rough roads and found no issues :D I fitted them on my drive in 2 hours so a pro will have no problems in this time frame.

Just got back from warrington with the other half. I got the NA package and she got a day out shopping in warrington and a nice lunch. Stayed in the ibis which was nice too and only £48 with all you can eat breakfast :ph34r:

Okay, I'll have a look! Fensport said 6-8 hours but was including wheel alignment, no idea what the breakdown of the time is!

Definitely excited about the NA package then if there's an all you can eat breakfast nearby :lol:

Next up is getting my rear windows tinted and my roof wrapped in black.

I'm 90% sure I'll be going for a gloss rather than black, but we shall see! Been quoted £240 all in, which seems like a good price to me. 

I was going to do the windows myself to save some money, but I remember how much of a pain in the ass it was and figured may as well get it done by a professional if I'm going to be paying for them to do the roof.

Never had a roof wrapped before so I'm pretty excited to have it done!

Looks good.

I would take a look at some Ebaich springs. They give a modest drop and retain the oem comfort. Love mine. Drives nice on road and track and I have done things like the north coast 500 route round Scotland on some rough roads and found no issues  I fitted them on my drive in 2 hours so a pro will have no problems in this time frame.

Just got back from warrington with the other half. I got the NA package and she got a day out shopping in warrington and a nice lunch. Stayed in the ibis which was nice too and only £48 with all you can eat breakfast

How was the drive back after the work? Getting mine done 18 Oct. cant wait.

1 hour ago, Angelina said:

How was the drive back after the work? Getting mine done 18 Oct. cant wait.

Crap as it was solid traffic all the way down the M6, M1, M25 to Essex :angry::lol:

But yes very much enjoying the new power delivery. Also got the shifter springs and gearbox mount done too.

Crap as it was solid traffic all the way down the M6, M1, M25 to Essex :angry::lol:

But yes very much enjoying the new power delivery. Also got the shifter springs and gearbox mount done too.

Thats my route too. Ieave the m25 jnc 24 .what time did you leave there?

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, Angelina said:

Thats my route too. Ieave the m25 jnc 24 emoji4.png.what time did you leave there?

Left about 2ish I think. Think we just got unlucky as we were say on the M6 for ages due to a truck full of Cows that fell over and we had to wait for them to clear up the mess. :rolleyes:

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, lewism1 said:

@Angelina yeah I think I will! I clayed and polished myself and got some of it out but bit on fence about putting a machine polisher in my incapable hands haha. Ah shell love a spa, top tip thanks! 

You will be fine with a DA if you are careful.

I got great results with a DAS-6 machine and meguires two step polish with a  couple of hex logic pads I got as part of a package on cleanyourcar.co.uk

No more swirls and a nice deep shine. Nice and easy to do just takes a fair bit of time.

Car is booked in next weekend to get windows tinted and roof wrapped in black, can't wait. 

Also, quick question. My new alloys came with different wheels nuts as I believe they needed to be slightly longer. However, I wanted to get some new ones to colour match. What's the correct way to measure them so that I buy the correct ones? I knows there's thread and pitch to look at but that's right over my head. 

Someone else might be able to confirm this but off the top of my head i think its M12x 1.25.  If i get a chance at the weekend i'll measure it as I have a set of pitch guages.