Lauren

Committee members wanted!

I've been having a think about how to proceed with this. I've had some discussion with a number of members, regional organisers, admin on FB page  and of course the other directors though Alec is not involved as such anymore. We have decided that we will leave the directors as they are currently as Rob is still very helpful and we never want him to be a stranger and Keith is still busy with the GT86 accounts and paypal account for which Rob helps with too. 

I feel that in order to move the club forward we should have a committee. It may be in time that one of the committee members could fill Alec's directors position in time, but there is no rush as such for that as three directors is plenty of course. 

I would like a club Chairman/Chairwoman. I feel that I should stay as a director and welcome new enthusiastic members to the committee who have a vision and want to take the club somewhere. This is your opportunity to get involved in what is a great club with great people. I think a Vice-chair would also be good to work with the chair in promoting the club. For example this could be looking at promoting the club to other clubs in Europe much like Scott the Chairman from IMOC did with the Duderstadt meet. 

I also think we should have someone to help with the finances to support Keith as Rob takes a bit less of a roll in this stuff. A Treasurer would be the title. I've worked out with Rob and Keith's help that pretty much all of our traders pay on subscription, but adding new traders would need doing of course. 

Events are a major thing and we could do with somebody to be the trackday/motorsport organiser. We also need firm regional organisers who could be on the committee as Events Organiser. North, South and Midlands. 

I'll try and summarise what these rolls entail and people have views on other roles that would be useful for the committee, please say. :)

Chairman/Chairwoman

- To liaise directly with the Directors on Committee matters. 

-To communicate the business of the Directors to the Committee and members when appropriate.

-To set direction for the club.

-To maintain and develop links with the administrators of other similar car clubs as appropriate. 

-Coordinate the work of the rest of the committee. 

-Work on wider projects to benefit members. 

- To work closely with our friends at the GT86OC on club collaboration. 

Vice Chair

-To liaise directly with the directors on committee matters. 

-Assume responsibility in the absence of the Chairman/Chairwoman on such matters. 

-Assist the Chairman/Chairwoman on club developmental matters as well as work with relations to other clubs. 

- To work closely with our friends at the GT86OC on club collaboration. 

Treasurer 

-Oversee the day to day running of the clubs financial accounts. 

-Keep track on club finances and club bank/Paypal balances and advise the committee/directors accordingly. 

-Assist the directors in compiling the annual accounts and tax return. Don't worry our accountant will do our tax return!

-Organise and manage budgets in coordination with and as agreed by the committee and/or directors. 

-Maintain a shared database of comany assets (gazebos, flags, banners and other property), their location, organising replacement/repair as necessary. 

Trader/Affiliates Admin

This could be done by the treasurer, but anyway, here's an idea of what it entails:

-Responsible for running and developing the trader scheme. 

-Liaise with all traders both potential and existing on all matters regarding commercial advertising on the GT86 BRZ DC forum. 

-Responsible for obtaining fees from traders. 

-Be a point of liaison for traders on all matters regarding their trader status. 

-Responsible for setting price points for traders ensuring that traders who say they are a registered company actually are. 

-Responsible for setting price points for traders.

-Responsible for activation and deactivation of trader accounts. 

-Responsible for trader rules and conduct as well as enforcing them. 

-To be the point of contact for any grievance from a trader. 

Event Coordinator x4 North, South, Midlands plus track day/motorsports organiser. 

-Coordinate club events both collectively and singularly and liaise with regional organisers. 

-Take lead responsibility for major club events including Japfest x2 and JAE (if we go again!). 

-Provide logistical support where necessary to regional organisers. 

-Identify, approach and recruit potenital regional organiser to ensure national coverage. 

-In coordination with the Treasurer, organise and coordinate transportation of club property to large events. 

There are a few other odd jobs such as membership though these may be covered through the treasurer or we can create a position. Such things are open to debate. I would expect the committee members to be responsible for moderation on the forum, though really there is little to do here for the most part. It's not like the old days of keyboard warriors on forums, this seems to have migrated to the Facebook group! 

So let me know what you think and more importantly if you're interested in helping to build the club in to something special for the future. :)

If you would like to be considered for a Committee Position you are welcome to post here or send me a message. :)

I’d be up for helping any way I can, I’m not very experienced at doing things with car clubs (this being the 1st I’ve joined).
I do have a helper in the form of Beth who does organise events for work so she could teach me a few ticks I’m sure as she is constantly casing traders for money etc.
I would like to help any way I can and I am willing to start lower in the ranks and build up as have no intention of getting rid of the car anytime soon as I’m the kinda person who hangs onto cars slowly changing them over many years so plan to be around a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should add (how did I forget this last night) that when we have a number of people interested I will organise a meet in the midlands so we can all get there, expect lunch in a pub so we can discuss properly face to face and come up with a cunning plan! :)

I was one of the Moderators on the MR2OC for many years (first took up position in around 2004) prior to me selling up a couple of years ago and buying the GT86, I've also helped to organise the OC's club stands at JAE for the past 8 years...
I'd like to get more involved with the GT86 owners as I did with the MR2 folk, so if I can help in any way I'd be more than happy to lend a hand

I would like to put myself forward as Event Coordinator.

If we plan in advance and split events/ ideas between several coordinators, I think we can aim for the following (consider this to be my pitch for the position):

- 5-6 "official" club events through the year: Early in 2019 we will conduct a poll of preferred events (Japfest x2, Tunerfest (1 or x2?), Beaulieu, etc.). Very happy to organize or help organizing (if I am in the UK I would intend to attend them if they are within 2hrs of London). We would need to decide based on interest (we really should have more than couple cars on stand for it to be "official"), but the number can be increased (I like Castle Combe, even if its a bit of a drive for me for example);

- Couple "joint" events (?): I think it would be good to link-up with other clubs on large events, particularly if we only have few attendees. (I am very grateful for @gavin_t inviting me to join Weekend Racers stand at Castle Combe - good bunch and would certainly be interested doing it together). I am happy to coordinate these as well if we have interest and invitation is extended. I also think in such case we should be prepared to "open up" couple of our official events or ask organizers if they could allocate close-by lots for us (again I am happy to lead on this)

- 3-4 "official" club track days: Lets see how Bedford event goes, but if we have interest (and there seem to be quite a few of us who tend to do regular track days). Again, we should plan a bit more in advance (although most people seem to book quite late) and have days in different locations. For 2019 we can aim for: Brands Hatch, Donnington, Snetterton + (may be) Silverstone, but we can decide by poll. I can organize these and will try to get some discount. If there is interest we can also try to get dedicated instructor for a day for our group.

- Couple training events: I will contact @CATDT and think we should have enough interest to organize GT86 club programme at Milbrook with CAT Driver Training (we did in 2017 and I would highly recommend it regardless of your experience - in fact after doing couple track days this year I feel I need to go back now). Club members can also recommend other suitable options (I know @Adi did Carlimits few times and thinks its a good option as well and we can get 4 GT86 together for this, or even organize few days like it).

- Calendar updates/ non-club specific events: Many of us attend Pistonheads and Goodwood events (and often aim to park together). I can update calendar, remind people and check if we may want to organize a pub lunch or drive after the event.

- Social events: @Leevsfortyone been great getting us together for Cars & Coffee and regular dinners (I only with it would be closer for me to attend more). I would like to do smth like this down South, and I would like to aim for 1 or 2 club drives over the spring/ summer months with couple stop-overs on the way (we can get GoPro, photos, etc).

- Children friendly event: I would like to come up with an idea for family-oriented/ child friendly event (again @Leevsfortyone had a good idea, but we probably need to think a bit more)

We also would need more coordination between FB and forum members (most seem to be on both, but not all, some of us have different nics/ names as well).

Finally, I suggest we want more than 3 Event Co-ordinators. I would suggest 4 or 5, with additional volunteers helping out.

I'd be keen to help with events in the south west. Perhaps socials, car events and some trackdays. I could get us at all the Castle Combe action days and events however I will be racing again next season and racing would take priority over any BRZ events to me. I can also help fill days if we decide to have a private track day with a mix of experienced racers, no track day heros in cars not set up and causing lots of red flags!!

Wow great response! Thank you. @chris_9011 that's brilliant, I'm sure we've met via my time at IMOC (I'm still there and from 2004 too!) and JAE of course. We'll have to wait and see what happens in regard to JAE next year. I don't want to drop it, but it must make financial sense if we are going to use club funds. I think helping with events more local to you would be brilliant and also in the midlands. 

@VAD17 wow great response! :) Looks like you can easily cover the track days in the south. Given though the best tracks are up north, would you consider travelling further? All great ideas though and I know the novices like Bedford, but it would be a lot of fun to mix up track days with those of us with more experience, everyday is a school day and all that. Also really good on the CatD stuff. It's just making sure there are enough left to continue to do it, but I don't think that will be a problem with an influx of newcomers to track driving.  The southern events at Silverstone and Goodwood are great too. 

Great idea about drive outs. I've done a few round the EVO Triangle, always good fun and also further north. Some cracking roads around North Wales and the towards the borders. 

A family friendly event is an interesting one. I've always thought that those with children tend to want to escape for a bit to come to a meet, but like you say maybe it needs more thought. 

And yes good point, we will need more than three event coordinators, though I was trying to keep the numbers down for the committee as we have regional organisers already and can always expand on that. 

@Sighe98 thanks, that's brilliant. I think being a regional organiser would work well for you. Good idea on the events at Combe as there's always plenty going on. 

And lastly, anyone from up North? We are severely lacking in regard to events being organised in the North, I feel pretty much on my own here! The south is just so well covered it seems. 

Track Days: Think Donnington can be on the list - is it sufficiently north?. Happy to organise it as well (and wanted to do it as well, now next year). We can always try to organise few "larger" events and then people can just suggest track days they are going and others can join.

And btw - members can and should make suggestions what they would like to do more and regional organisers can then address it.

For example I would be keen to take my little one to a proper race event (but not F1) to watch, if there are few more people interested we can do it as a club event with a meal afterwards or smth like this

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good to see some forward planning of what is already a good club full of great people.

I unfortunately don't have much time to offer personally due to lots of work and bike racing commitments but am happy to help out where needed on a adhoc basis at events.

@VAD17 and @Leevsfortyone have been great at organising events so can certainly vouch for them if they wanted to have any input/roles. Also as @VAD17 mentioned we hooked up with some old friends of mine that run a small track day forum called weekendracer. They have a lot of track based shows that they attend on a regular basis and are more then happy to have our cars on stand and have good facilities to offer and share. Works well when there are shows with a small club attendance as it shares the organisation. Can provide admin contacts if anything wanted to be made more "official" at all in the future. But adhoc appearances wont be an issue and partnering up with various clubs and contacts is always a good thing :)

22 hours ago, VAD17 said:

Track Days: Think Donnington can be on the list - is it sufficiently north?emoji6.png. Happy to organise it as well (and wanted to do it as well, now next year). We can always try to organise few "larger" events and then people can just suggest track days they are going and others can join.

And btw - members can and should make suggestions what they would like to do more and regional organisers can then address it.

For example I would be keen to take my little one to a proper race event (but not F1) to watch, if there are few more people interested we can do it as a club event with a meal afterwards or smth like this emoji3.png

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Donington is in the midlands but it is one of the very best circuits in the UK. Cadwell and Oulton are also real gems. Anglesey is good, though doesn't quite make the A list. Croft being the other one right up there with the best. But yes, people who want to do the better northern tracks can certainly get together and we have done a few in the past with Oulton being popular. I'm definitely up for another day at Donington though. :)

Great idea about going to a race meet. Having a meal afterwards is always a good option. :)

6 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Good to see some forward planning of what is already a good club full of great people.

I unfortunately don't have much time to offer personally due to lots of work and bike racing commitments but am happy to help out where needed on a adhoc basis at events.

@VAD17 and @Leevsfortyone have been great at organising events so can certainly vouch for them if they wanted to have any input/roles. Also as @VAD17 mentioned we hooked up with some old friends of mine that run a small track day forum called weekendracer. They have a lot of track based shows that they attend on a regular basis and are more then happy to have our cars on stand and have good facilities to offer and share. Works well when there are shows with a small club attendance as it shares the organisation. Can provide admin contacts if anything wanted to be made more "official" at all in the future. But adhoc appearances wont be an issue and partnering up with various clubs and contacts is always a good thing :)

@gavin_t that sounds a great idea. Linking up with other clubs is always good and keeps it interesting too. Great stuff. :)

@VAD17

1) Yes, CarLimits are worth doing at least once. Their are unique in that you will push the car over the limit at 70-80 mph, loose control, spin, and not crash into anything. You then learn how to feel when the back lets go and how to control the spin and recover.  It is the only place I know where you can realistically push the limit at these kind of speeds (there is a big difference between drifting at 20mph in a skidpan and involuntary loosing the back mid-corner at 75mph - especially in the brown pants arena :) ).  It is £ 225/person on a 4 person day and they have the whole year calendar on their website, easy to book. The people running it are very friendly.

2) Also, if interested, I personally know a very good career race-driver and race-team instructor who is happy to do deals for groups on trackdays. Unlike the "20 min for 25 quid" experience, he actually puts his heart and soul into it, pushes you to your limit, and you will probably have a big smile on your face by the end of the day.

On 21/09/2018 at 5:23 PM, Adi said:

@VAD17

1) Yes, CarLimits are worth doing at least once. Their are unique in that you will push the car over the limit at 70-80 mph, loose control, spin, and not crash into anything. You then learn how to feel when the back lets go and how to control the spin and recover.  It is the only place I know where you can realistically push the limit at these kind of speeds (there is a big difference between drifting at 20mph in a skidpan and involuntary loosing the back mid-corner at 75mph - especially in the brown pants arena :) ).  It is £ 225/person on a 4 person day and they have the whole year calendar on their website, easy to book. The people running it are very friendly.

2) Also, if interested, I personally know a very good career race-driver and race-team instructor who is happy to do deals for groups on trackdays. Unlike the "20 min for 25 quid" experience, he actually puts his heart and soul into it, pushes you to your limit, and you will probably have a big smile on your face by the end of the day.

Can vouch for the car limits days. I have learnt alot doing a couple.

Can also book a club "activity" day through them. Not as much learning but alot of fun to just go and explore limits ;-) can be upto £50 to 100 each depending on numbers there to split the cost.

Nice cafe on the airfield too so would be a nice club day out.