Sign in to follow this  
Cerastes

Tyre question/confusion

Hi all, 

It's not related to my GT86 but family members tyres, but thought maybe it's ok to post in here regarding tyres as it might help others?

Either I am about to make a massive idiot of myself or my below thinking would be correct...

A family member purchased 2 of the same model tyres as below.

42786720380_340ba95d51_b.jpg

Both tyres have "inside" written on the left hand sides of the tyres. So I imagined one tyre on the right front of the car as the centre strip of rubber, when the car is moving forward when in contact with water it would help dissipate water to the grooves?

However, we noticed that the middle strip of rubber where it has one groove line from the centre moving to the outside, that one line would be facing differently if you placed it on the left hand side of the vehicle. 

43878349044_d713bf66fd_b.jpg

Even if it doesn't affect wet weather driving, surely tread patterns should be the same? It will have some affect? 

There is also no indication of direction on the tyres, just the word "inside". 

Anyone able to offer some insight? 

Perfectly normal. They are directional but asymmetrical tyres. Take a look at Uniroyal rainsport 3s. That's a much more extreme version, I had these fitted on my Golf, one side looked as if the grooves were the wrong way but it made no difference to the performance of them.

15 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Perfectly normal. They are directional but asymmetrical tyres. Take a look at Uniroyal rainsport 3s. That's a much more extreme version, I had these fitted on my Golf, one side looked as if the grooves were the wrong way but it made no difference to the performance of them.

Ok thanks. Just thought it was strange that the central pattern would be different.