GT1986

Budget - more power

Hi all, 

I'm after more power from my GT86. I'd really really love to go down the supercharger route, but looking around at fensport and online I'm looking around 5K for a HKS supercharger and fitting, it's abit out of my budget and really not sure I can justify it. 

Does anyone have any tips on slightly cheaper options? Currently I have drop in air filter (Blitz), cobra catback exhaust and the ECUTEK remap, all work to date performed by fensport. 

Any advice at all? or do I need to start saving and trying to justify it to myself? Many thanks 

Gary 

7 hours ago, GT1986 said:

Hi all, 

I'm after more power from my GT86. I'd really really love to go down the supercharger route, but looking around at fensport and online I'm looking around 5K for a HKS supercharger and fitting, it's abit out of my budget and really not sure I can justify it. 

Does anyone have any tips on slightly cheaper options? Currently I have drop in air filter (Blitz), cobra catback exhaust and the ECUTEK remap, all work to date performed by fensport. 

Any advice at all? or do I need to start saving and trying to justify it to myself? Many thanks 

Gary 

A manifold and having the car mapped again is your cheapest option. The Tuning Developments manifold is probably the most commonly used here and produces good gains.

There are lots of brands of manifold out there and you can pick a used manifold up for around £400-600 usually as the most budget friendly option. 

For more power Deacon's advice is sound, although I'd anticipate that you'll only gain a few HP at the wheels, although the manifold swap will decrease the torque dip significantly, which will improve normal road drivability (on the track you're probably above the torque dip most of the time anyway). I've got a similar setup to what Deacon has outlined and the car makes slightly over 215bhp / 200whp.

If you're looking for more power then FI (Turbo or S/C) is realistically the only way forward. Both have pros and cons and consensus seems to be around 270bhp max before you really start running a risk of the engine blowing.

A question to ponder, if you've not already thought about it; what's the reasoning behind a need for more power?

If it's slip-road drag races, I'd be considering a different car; the 86 isn't quick and there's easier and cheaper ways to go much faster.

If it's an A-road/B-road/Track car then I'd be looking at suspension and driving tuition. In my experience on a track I can't drive the car to it's corning limits, so I'd find more speed in the bends and the braking zones rather than the drag out of the corner.

9 hours ago, GT1986 said:

Hi all, 

Gary 

You need to start saving. Or sell the car and move onto something quicker in a straight line. 5k is about the price of F/I but thats just for the kit you then have knocked on effects of possibly needing better tyres brakes suspension etc etc It also depends on your use.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I love the car it's so much fun and my pride and joy, it's just I wish it had abit more grunt for everyday use to match it's looks and lose that torque dip abit. On the right roads it's an epic car and i grin from ear to ear but I had a golf GTI unnnessarily try to do me off the lights the other day where 2 lanes merge into 1, although I beat it I just wished it had a bit more initial to keep fairly "standard" road cars at bay. I'll look into a upgraded manifold as you both has mentioned. Many thanks.

I kinda guessed the costs would continue to build with F/I, I really just can't justify it unfortunately. 

May i suggest something opposite? Pay nothing for more power, instead pay for more trackdays? :)

As for SCs .. shouldn't there be now good deals on cosworth ones selling out theirs? Recall that mentioned in other thread/forum.

Don't touch the HKS supercharger, it has a design flaw and HKS don't care!

You could always get an eBay turbo ;)

I'd suggest just keeping an eye out for second hand kits - there was a supercharger sold on here for 2k in the last few months, which has to be the way to go if you want to keep prices down.

Imho if new cossy kit was £3850+vat as per here if contacting Matt directly, not sure if used for 2k is that much better deal. And it probably makes sense to keep it at mild boost, instead of going for smaller pulley. To save on needed other upgrades like clutch/tranny/forged engine internals, if going for more boost ..

If it's for street driven then turbo or PD supercharger would be what I would consider. The PD blowers (Cosworth/Harrop/Sprintex) are all easy to install if you want to save yourself a bit of cash. A Sprintex kit can be found for less than the rest these days and for a road car would do just what you ask, I still enjoy mine ;)

The whippet is booked in a week on Thursday for a UEL manifold and Remap. Fingers crossed that satisfies my hunger for a while I continue to have the argument with myself over a SC. 😂

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, GT1986 said:

I wish it had abit more grunt for everyday use to match it's looks and lose that torque dip abit.

Losing the torque dip is exactly what you need, forget absolute power which you hardly ever use in normal driving.  I can assure you that a UEL manifold and remap will bring you exactly the midrange flexibility that you need for everyday driving.  And, as expressed elsewhere, lose them on the curves!

On 9/3/2018 at 9:43 AM, Adamd said:

Don't touch the HKS supercharger, it has a design flaw and HKS don't care!

You could always get an eBay turbo ;)

I'd suggest just keeping an eye out for second hand kits - there was a supercharger sold on here for 2k in the last few months, which has to be the way to go if you want to keep prices down.

Hello,

What's the design flaw with the HKS?

I've kinda got my heart set on the Cosworth Stage 2 option but just interested in eliminating the competition!

Got the cobra UEL fitted Thursday, thanks for all the advice it really does transform the car like you all said. Now Drives how it should have always have. 
Great news. Can you please share your dyno charts as you are one of the select few having Cobra and am keen to see how it does compared to the rest.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I will do when I get in on a dyno. It was all done at fensport on the open road so wasn't put on a dyno unfortunately. I have a cobra resonated exhaust so made sense for me to go for the cobra UEL. 

I agree that the car looks faster than it is compared with today's hot hatch selections, but chasing numbers either becomes boring or too expensive. On its own the car feels plenty fast enough for the public roads especially once you do the manifold and remap.

Just a heads up to anyone else considering the cobra. It badly rubs on the shield in quite a large spot.  Now at Toyota having brought it in due to the rattles that started to appear a couple days ago, tech just took me through and showed me. They're now attempting to mod the shield as well as my bank balance. Make sure if you get this fitted you or the garage mod the shield. 😪

A shame about the rubbing. Id be interested to hear how the sound changed volume and tone wise. I currently have a primary decat Cobra resonated system and think it's borderline too loud but really would live the header for extra driveability

39 minutes ago, bassett said:

A shame about the rubbing. Id be interested to hear how the sound changed volume and tone wise. I currently have a primary decat Cobra resonated system and think it's borderline too loud but really would live the header for extra driveability

Yeah, I'm just glad it's sorted, it was quite a severe rubbing in honesty, I had fears it was something worse as majority of the time it was hard to pinpoint the exact resonance but she seems good as gold now 👍. Are you lowestoft / Suffolk way? Could meet so you can have a listen. Im happy with loudness and tone of mine, just has manifold and catback, have left the stock midpipe and cat in place. 

Thanks for making us all aware. When you say shield, do you mean the undertray as the heat shields are removed?

Undertray rubbing also happens with the very well regarded Ace manifold and a slight change to undertray needs to be made.

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

Thanks for making us all aware. When you say shield, do you mean the undertray as the heat shields are removed?

Undertray rubbing also happens with the very well regarded Ace manifold and a slight change to undertray needs to be made.

No worries, with it being one of the less common choices hopefully it saves someone the same hassle if they pick the cobra. Yes bud, mean the engine undertray.