GT86Bob

Tyre Pressure Sensors / valves (?)

Hi All,

I changed the wheels on my car. Now the tyre pressure light is constantly on. National Tyres say they may be able to get the old valves out of my old wheels but I need to know which corner of the car each wheel came off.  I don't. Any suggestions on how to proceed? 

Cheers

Bob

Hi All,
I changed the wheels on my car. Now the tyre pressure light is constantly on. National Tyres say they may be able to get the old valves out of my old wheels but I need to know which corner of the car each wheel came off.  I don't. Any suggestions on how to proceed? 
Cheers
Bob

The TMPS sensors are attached to the valve and are £150 each to replace, also need linking up to ecu. Managed to snap one . e56c420abff163e02c2fadbfb16bd1af.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GT86Bob said:

Hi All,

Cheers

Bob

Did National tyres not know this? 

Think may that may have been BS as it doesn’t tell you which tyre it is! Basically unless you can see which tyre is low you need to check them all . Protyre were very helpful and knowledgeable, they done a temporary fix (new valve) and suggested I went to the dealership. Also didn’t charge me for it

I had a low pressure warning the other day when I had left my car outside for the evening (very rare). On looking round none of them looked down so I just ignored it until they warmed up.  Low and behold a few miles in it disappeared. Would be good if it told you which corner it was!

I had a low pressure warning the other day when I had left my car outside for the evening (very rare). On looking round none of them looked down so I just ignored it until they warmed up.  Low and behold a few miles in it disappeared. Would be good if it told you which corner it was!

Mine went on a few days ago, then off when it warmed, then on. Hubby checked pressures . One needed 5psi, the others 2psi. See what happens on the next cold morning

I’d happily fork out for a 2nd set of sensors if there was a way I could update the ECU settings at home. I vaguely recall that Carista or Ecutek had a solution in beta. This is going to become a bigger issue as the number of post-14 '86s increase and the desire to fit aftermarket wheels to our cars continues.

14 hours ago, Angelina said:

Think may that may have been BS as it doesn’t tell you which tyre it is! Basically unless you can see which tyre is low you need to check them all emoji51.png. Protyre were very helpful and knowledgeable, they done a temporary fix (new valve) and suggested I went to the dealership. Also didn’t charge me for it emoji7.png

Whilst our car doesn't tell you which tyre it is, each wheel has its own control module that is paired to the valve sensor, so it is correct that you would need to put the sensors back in the same place or re-code the system.

As for cold days, that's not something you should ever need to worry about.  A drop of 5psi would always trigger the light, but if you set your tyre pressures to 35psi on a day when the air temperature is 30 degrees, it would just trigger the TPMS light when the temperature dips below freezing if the system uses a 10% threshold.  If it's 20%, as Toyota suggest on their blog article, it would need to be -30 degrees to trigger.

(A word of warning - ignore Toyota's bad advice to press the reset button after re-inflating your tyres - the TPMS light automatically goes out after ~30 seconds and all you'll do by pressing the button is cause the system to not work properly)

Whilst our car doesn't tell you which tyre it is, each wheel has its own control module that is paired to the valve sensor, so it is correct that you would need to put the sensors back in the same place or re-code the system.
As for cold days, that's not something you should ever need to worry about.  A drop of 5psi would always trigger the light, but if you set your tyre pressures to 35psi on a day when the air temperature is 30 degrees, it would just trigger the TPMS light when the temperature dips below freezing if the system uses a 10% threshold.  If it's 20%, as Toyota suggest on their blog article, it would need to be -30 degrees to trigger.
(A word of warning - ignore Toyota's bad advice to press the reset button after re-inflating your tyres - the TPMS light automatically goes out after ~30 seconds and all you'll do by pressing the button is cause the system to not work properly)

Thanks for that. Informative link

My light comes on quite often in cooler weather, the pressures are all fine, I think it is the battery in one or more of the sensors is almost dead and they only wake up when they get warm enough, shame as there is plenty of tread left and the sensors are not cheap to replace. 

Thanks for all the replies. I got it sorted today at National Tyres. They broke one of the control sensors removing it from the old wheel so I had to buy a new one - £90. Not their fault, it was seized and they invited me to try to get it off but we couldn't without breaking it.  Anyway, I found lots more info here: http://blog.toyota.co.uk/how-does-tpms-work if anyone is interested. You don't have to know which wheel they came off. All you need to do is fit a set that is matched to the ECU.  National Tyres simply cloned the broken one and they keep the old one in a box for six months in case it is needed again. (You cannot take it home as its presence in the car will confuse it). A few relevant pics on my blog http://beambreaking.co.uk/spiders/

Cheers

Bob

My light comes on quite often in cooler weather, the pressures are all fine, I think it is the battery in one or more of the sensors is almost dead and they only wake up when they get warm enough, shame as there is plenty of tread left and the sensors are not cheap to replace. 

We have had that when it is really cold (in London we don’t really have many of them). Have had the car nearly 2 years. There have been lots of discussions about this issue. Its only recently that I have discovered that they had their own batteries. Hopefully they can be replaced easily and not require the £150 to replace each sensor .

Thanks, that's good to know. Mine are on my stock wheels which I shall soon have shod with winter tyres. I'll leave them like that and just put those wheels on the car when I finally need an MOT test.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's good to know. Mine are on my stock wheels which I shall soon have shod with winter tyres. I'll leave them like that and just put those wheels on the car when I finally need an MOT test.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

Need my MOT 19th this month . I have stock wheels, but she is a primo so only 16”e3932ceb1c7d169da4e55b2ad6bf27a0.jpg. But l like them.

Guest 86guns

The TPMS on our cars is the "basic" version which uses tyre rotation differences to identify if one is different to the others. As others have said, if the light comes on you can't identify with tyre is affected. More expensive systems (a la BMW) measure the tyre pressure in each wheel and usually give a nice picture of the pressures on the screen. Not sure why people are quoting £90 and £150 each. I had one break during a tyre change and the tyre garage sourced one from the local Toyota dealer at £42 trade price.

The TPMS on our cars is the "basic" version which uses tyre rotation differences to identify if one is different to the others. As others have said, if the light comes on you can't identify with tyre is affected. More expensive systems (a la BMW) measure the tyre pressure in each wheel and usually give a nice picture of the pressures on the screen. Not sure why people are quoting £90 and £150 each. I had one break during a tyre change and the tyre garage sourced one from the local Toyota dealer at £42 trade price.

Wow, i went to local Toyota dealer (jemca) who charged £150. Hence me quoting £150 . Got the receipt

Guest 86guns
Just now, Angelina said:

Wow, i went to local Toyota dealer (jemca) who charged £150. Hence me quoting £150 emoji56.png. Got the receipt emoji4.png

£150, Jeez. They're only a little circuit board in a plastic case attached to a valve! 

Guest 86guns
8 minutes ago, Angelina said:

Its my broken one in the pic emoji45.png

I've just seen the reason. You're in London,  I'm in Yorkshire :D.

I've just seen the reason. You're in London,  I'm in Yorkshire .

May have been worth the petrol to drive up north 🤣🤣. Mind you even thats dearer down here £1.45 shell v power

20 hours ago, Angelina said:

We have had that when it is really cold (in London we don’t really have many of them). Have had the car nearly 2 years. There have been lots of discussions about this issue. Its only recently that I have discovered that they had their own batteries. Hopefully they can be replaced easily and not require the £150 to replace each sensor emoji51.pngemoji51.png.

Just coming up to 4 years and an MOT, hopefully the battery will hold out until after that then I wont worry for another 12 months. At least on my Phaeton I can turn the system off with VAGCom and removing the fuse.