Daninplymouth

Steering wheel issue

Scratches from dragging something along.

Possible guesses (if wheel hasn't been remounted to change to another, which has been changed back prior selling off, and thus maybe scratches from storage of original wheel) are scratch of some cargo dragged near, against some sharp ring, or against tool to set & fix steering wheel straight when doing alignment.

It's hard to tell what exactly may have caused, if you don't know for sure if it wasn't before when you bought it used, if you don't know last time when it wasn't there/last time checked (i might aswell miss to notice that when buying car, as other things might be more important to check or easier to notice (eg. state of engine/suspension/body paint/seat wear), and what happened during that time frame. It doesn't look like wear, but scratch .. from what? Who knows. Given extent of it .. i'd probably wouldn't care. If it buggs you a lot, you may consider come steering wheel cover, or rewrapping it (in this case at same occasion i'd ask to add different color centerline stripe :) ), or buying some aftermarket wheel (i'd prefer ones that keep stock airbag and which are of smaller diameter).

It does look something has been dragged but I can’t picture what, maybe wedding ring but that’s usually on the opposite side to this. Have had the car about 4 months so I’m sure i would’ve noticed by now. Just wanted to check in case anyone else had an issue with the factory wheel. 

Thanks

It'll be something like putting your coat on (or the previous owner) in the car and catching the zip on the wheel. I've done similar damage to mine in the same way. It's just damage from something being caught on it. There's no real problem with the steering wheel, it's just carelessness I'm afraid. 

16 minutes ago, Deacon said:

It looks very similar to the marks my mom used to get on her wheel when she used to put a steering lock on (one of the full cover ones). 

16 minutes ago, Deacon said:

It looks very similar to the marks my mom used to get on her wheel when she used to put a steering lock on (one of the full cover ones). 

Agree with Jeff I put a StopLock on mine and it left small dents in wheel they did come out but never put it on again

It’s just strange though as I noticed it as soon as I got in the car this morning Iv driven it everyday for 4 months so surely would’ve noticed it before now. Iv never used a steering lock so really can’t work out what could cause it as if it was my ring I’d think that would only cause one lot of marks but there’s 2 lines that run parallel