I've just seen on speedhunters blog that I've missed international 86 Day this year.

So far as I can see only driftworks hold a gathering to celebrate this event in the UK. 

Perhaps we should hold a meet up next year to mark the occasion. Whether it be the 8/6/19 or the American version 6/8/19.

Opinions?

it should be 8/6, its Saturday!

And before the start of school holidays, so hopefully better chance of having decent turnout.

But it wouldn't be "official" 86 day.

If its in June I would be up for it, although may be a bit early to plan, good suggestion though!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Okay we'll pencil it in for then. 8th of June makes more sense to me, and much better chance of getting a good turn out before the school holidays.

Yeah 86 is always the 8th August due to the Japanese using the American date format. I did attend 86 day which is done as a retro gathering at Driftworks. I have a lot of old friends from my time with the AE86 which goes back well over a decade. I have asked Chay who organises it about including the GT's as well, but they are more interested in the older cars, so if we wanted to do something it would need to be on our own by the looks of it. To be fair to Chay there isn't really enough room to take on a whole load of GT86's at Driftworks HQ as there were already 60 odd cars there, though they accept any old Toyota that's 80's or previous it seems, which is a tad ironic. But there you go. 

Whilst we could do it on the 8th June this is not in alignment with the rest of the world and would not be recognised as such. I would say it's better to keep it on the 6th Augut or as near thereabouts which obviously depends on where it falls to the next nearest weekend. 

Lauren you right about the irony with no gt86's invited but an Audi estate more than welcome. Still I think we should host our own to represent the UK. Next year it will be the 3rd or 4th before or 10th or 11th afterwards.

If you look at Japan they celebrate the ae86 and the gt86 on the same day.

30 minutes ago, Luke said:

Lauren you right about the irony with no gt86's invited but an Audi estate more than welcome. Still I think we should host our own to represent the UK. Next year it will be the 3rd or 4th before or 10th or 11th afterwards.

If you look at Japan they celebrate the ae86 and the gt86 on the same day.

Yep I know about the irony it is a tad annoying. The reality is they like to spanner their ancient AE86's, which I get, but not recognising the GT is a real shame and not right 

I know about Japan, I went to 86 Style for 8-6 day at Fuji Speedway in 2014! A couple of thousand GT86's and about 500 AE86's! 

But I'm definitely up for having something inclusive for our cars, just because the AE lot aren't interested doesn't mean we should be exluded. It's more a question of where really. 

I reckon it will be worth contacting Toyota UK see if they are interested. 

The record was 86 in the UK wasn't it? I'd love to visit Japan but I'd probably need a container to bring back all the cool things they have over there. 

There was a meet at Toyota hq a few years back perhaps we could get their interest. I see the lemans trio made it to a wash out simply beaulieu, so they could get involved. Somewhere central in the UK would be fair, perhaps a hill climb circuit?

53 minutes ago, Luke said:

Somewhere central in the UK would be fair, perhaps a hill climb circuit?

Donnington outside the museum part could be good as there is loads of parking but I have no idea of costs. Curborough is cheap to rent for the day and has loads of parking space for cars so could also be a good central option

12 hours ago, Deacon said:

Donnington outside the museum part could be good as there is loads of parking but I have no idea of costs. Curborough is cheap to rent for the day and has loads of parking space for cars so could also be a good central option

Donington would be great if it coincides with a track day. That would though, be fortunate indeed! 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I think we'd have to wait until the new year before the calendars get released to plan the event.

Another option may be a collaboration with one of the tuners like TD as they have loads of parking outside and could do a BBQ etc and rolling road. Just a thought. 

Yeah that would be a great idea. Looking them up on Google maps it seems like they've done something promotional with the zn6 lot before. 

29 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yeah that would be a great idea. Looking them up on Google maps it seems like they've done something promotional with the zn6 lot before. 

They've done a few open days before, yes for us lot. :)