DangerMouse

New owner from the north west

Hey guy's and gal's

Thought i would introduce myself on here.

I just purchased a 62 plate BRZ from a previous member that is on here.

I'm in the process of getting it insured.

What company do you recommend for modified BRZ? is there a members discount to be had?

Will do a write up soon as to what i would be doing with the car as i would like it to be a club spec track car.

looking forwarded to you replies and advice.

regards

DM

Welcome aboard. Whereabouts in the NW are you? I'm in Heald Green, about two miles from the airport. 

Try some of our insurers lised in the insurers section as they offer discounts for club members. 

Plenty of us do track stuff and there is the sprint series which is popular too. Next one is Anglesey on the 19th August if you fancy popping over.

Hi Lauren.

I'm from Warrington. i have just tried sky insurance and they look OK, chris knott is shut until monday so i will wait till then. will try flux later. 

Thats brilliant. what tyre and brake setup would you recommend for fast road track work?

Im currently running t1r's on my enkei's but these will be gone soon, i have heard Michelin pilot sport 4 are good? 

Cool, i will nip over angelsey and have a look.

Many Thanks

DM

16 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Hi Lauren.

I'm from Warrington. i have just tried sky insurance and they look OK, chris knott is shut until monday so i will wait till then. will try flux later. 

Thats brilliant. what tyre and brake setup would you recommend for fast road track work?

Im currently running t1r's on my enkei's but these will be gone soon, i have heard Michelin pilot sport 4 are good? 

Cool, i will nip over angelsey and have a look.

Many Thanks

DM

Ah  I know Warrington, just finished working there! Most seem to go for PS4's. I'm still running Yoko Advan V105's, which I really like. You can go for uprated pads of which there are a number to choose from. I went for a BBK, with AP 4pots and 330mm discs up front. Depends how much you are going to be on track really. Uprated pads will suffice if you don't murder them 

Welcome aboard!

If you're in Warrington I suggest you stop by Tuning Developments and talk to @Mike@TD.co.uk. I've been there myself Friday:lol:. may end up with a long "wish list" though afterwards.

Insurance - Sky is reasonably priced and easy to put mods mid term. Greenlight worthwhile giving a call as they do cheap track days insurance add on for policyholders, but they don't insure London or Manchester (go figure). If you're planning track days insurance I found Morris best, particularly if you get track day insurance for 5+ days in one go (regardless though first few track days will be very expensive :o - one advice I found useful from club members is to insure for a smaller max, say £15k, or I guess you can try smth like £10k for a 62 plate).

Not sure what you mean by "club spec", but here are my 5 cents after owning GT86 for a year and a bit:

- Change air filter (I have K&N that was on the car for about 2.5k miles and unopened Cosworth, don't need them as I went FI - if you're interested I can bring them to one of the club meets of track days);

- Get red of primacies (unless you like drifting, then definitely keep them). MPS4 are much gripper, particularly in wet (still did not stop me spinning on track and going though the grass though). Consider road noise when selecting tyres, unless you put loads of sound deadening it would be loud (like, really loud) on motorways...

- If you planning to go on track change pads and if you can afford go for front BBK (rears are mainly for looks..., but they do look nice). I have KSports with Yellowstuff pads (and Yellowstuff pads on stock calipers on rears). Its cheaper than Reylands BBK and I think for our cars is a very decent cost:benefit combination, although Reylands discs with AP calipers is a very attractive and tempting proposition. Think of pads noise, I found Yellowstuffs quiet with no squeal and good cold bite, although with more track days I would probably consider smth more track oriented next time (well, may be). Mike@TD has ProjectMu which were highly recommended by people on track days and I know few girls/ guys run Ferodos. Both are more expensive, but with BBK pads last longer so its probably a worthwhile investment.

- NA package from TD (manifold + re-map) noticeably transforms the car by adding 25+ HP and nearly 30% torque to mid-range (and ~ 20HP at top). Some people travel from abroad to Warrington (well, from Ireland if I recall...) to get it done, no brainer for you:lol:. In fact, I would probably say its the best mod for our cars, regardless of whether you take it on track or not (and if you decide to go FI later, it can be added on/ converted by TD later).

- Lowering springs or coil overs. 2017 suspension if firmer (particularly on BRZ as I understand), but I found Tein Flex A is worthwhile upgrade, particularly as they are adjustable - you can make them quite firm on track and then go back to soft, which is blessing in London going over bumps. Again, I selected Flex A based on forum members reviews and mid-range price, although if budget is not a constraint there are more interesting options (oh, Ohlins…)

- Change speakers, stocks are dreadful. Focal 165TOY is simplest plug-and-play option, cheep and cheerful (although of course more expensive, better options available). Think about sound deadening when installing (I should have done more even if weight would have gone marginally up)

Go to few club meets, see what other mods you may like. Go on track days, I am putting my on club calendar in case others can join (admittedly being in London they tend to be down south). We are organising club track day at Bedford on Nov 5th , that would probably be 2-2.5hrs from you (I guess)

or Silverstone on Nov 25th

~Most importantly - ENJOY!