lewism1

Best wheel option?

Hi all,

Looking to get a set of black alloys for the 86. Currently running stock suspension and will most likely stay like that as I live in the bumpy fens....

Wondered if people have any recommendations? I'm new to changing wheels on car, so don't really know what brands to avoid etc? 

"Best" is subjective thing. Define more specific what do you wish to gain.

Lighter weight? Different diameter/width/offset? Specific looks? Of specific strength? For what intended use? What is available budget?

With no input on those, if money is no object, i'd say to get TWS T66-F of wished size.

Rim choice 101 it is then!

• Bigger diameter and/or width is heavier
    • Heavier unsprung weight reduces the agility of the car and suspension capability over bumps
    • Wider tyres give you a little more grip, but usually make it more expensive. See also offset below
    • For best comfort stick to 17" rims. For style, consider 18"
  • Wrong offset is big trouble
    • Too far inset and your new wheels don't clear the brakes
    • Too much poke and your tyres can rub on the arches in corners and over bumps, or fail MOT if they extend beyond the arches.
    • Standard OEM fit is 7Jx17 ET48, 5x100 -> Example willtheyfit.com
  • OEM wheels are fairly light
    • You can't just go to Halfords and pick up some steel rims without consequences
    • RAYS, OZ etc. make lighter wheels still. For reference, the GT86 Aero came with OZ 18" superleggeras or something like that
    • Forged wheels are stronger, but very expensive
  • Don't buy end-of-run rims, in case you bust one and can't replace it
  • Buying fitted new tyres with the rims can save some money - useful if you change tyre size and you like the tyre brand offered
  • Watch out for import taxes if your wheel of choice is from overseas
  • Staggered wheel sizes are not generally a good idea unless you know what you're doing

If I ever get around to it, my next wheel will probably be from OZ, but RAYS make fine looking wheels. Rota... TWS... there are a stupid number of brands out there.

1 hour ago, Church said:

"Best" is subjective thing. Define more specific what do you wish to gain.

Lighter weight? Different diameter/width/offset? Specific looks? Of specific strength? For what intended use? What is available budget?

With no input on those, if money is no object, i'd say to get TWS T66-F of wished size.

Yes, good point! Ideally 17s and nothing that'd completely change the type of ride. Daily use, looking at around £650-700.

27 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

Rim choice 101 it is then!

• Bigger diameter and/or width is heavier
    • Heavier unsprung weight reduces the agility of the car and suspension capability over bumps
    • Wider tyres give you a little more grip, but usually make it more expensive. See also offset below
    • For best comfort stick to 17" rims. For style, consider 18"
  • Wrong offset is big trouble
    • Too far inset and your new wheels don't clear the brakes
    • Too much poke and your tyres can rub on the arches in corners and over bumps, or fail MOT if they extend beyond the arches.
    • Standard OEM fit is 7Jx17 ET48, 5x100 -> Example willtheyfit.com
  • OEM wheels are fairly light
    • You can't just go to Halfords and pick up some steel rims without consequences
    • RAYS, OZ etc. make lighter wheels still. For reference, the GT86 Aero came with OZ 18" superleggeras or something like that
    • Forged wheels are stronger, but very expensive
  • Don't buy end-of-run rims, in case you bust one and can't replace it
  • Buying fitted new tyres with the rims can save some money - useful if you change tyre size and you like the tyre brand offered
  • Watch out for import taxes if your wheel of choice is from overseas
  • Staggered wheel sizes are not generally a good idea unless you know what you're doing

If I ever get around to it, my next wheel will probably be from OZ, but RAYS make fine looking wheels. Rota... TWS... there are a stupid number of brands out there.

This is great help, thank you so much! I'm a moron when it comes to wheels, never really know what it all means....

Ouch. I hadn't even considered to check EU prices. They were so way cheaper in US shops with cost like $245 per wheel and such. Well, then looks like my suggestion too far out of stated budget.

Then how about Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2?

Ouch. I hadn't even considered to check EU prices. They were so way cheaper in US shops with cost like $245 per wheel and such. Well, then looks like my suggestion too far out of stated budget.
Then how about Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2?
Decent wheels.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

If you're going with 17 x 8 wheels, which I agree is a good size (I use Rota Blitz in this size), then a better offset is ET35 which will give you good fitment in the wheel arch rather than being set too far in.  Use 225/45 R17 tyres.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

If you're going with 17 x 8 wheels, which I agree is a good size (I use Rota Blitz in this size), then a better offset is ET35 which will give you good fitment in the wheel arch rather than being set too far in.  Use 225/45 R17 tyres.

Can't find them in black, only silver. Proper nice though 

1 minute ago, lewism1 said:

Look about right for pro race 1.2?

Screenshot_20180802-223248_Samsung Internet.jpg

Personally, I would be tempted to go for a slightly lower offset.

They will fit but they will fit exactly like the stock wheels, most people when getting new wheels prefer to get a wider wheel and lower offset so they are more flush with the arches. 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Personally, I would be tempted to go for a slightly lower offset.

They have 38 or 35. Lower offset means they stick out further, right? Or am I being thick. 

2 minutes ago, Nimz said:

They will fit but they will fit exactly like the stock wheels, most people when getting new wheels prefer to get a wider wheel and lower offset so they are more flush with the arches. 

Okay, so 35 and then 225 tyres? 

2 minutes ago, lewism1 said:

They have 38 or 35. Lower offset means they stick out further, right? Or am I being thick. 

Yes, lower the offset, the further towards the arch they will be. Just had a look, they do those wheels in an 8" wide, 35 offset which would be a decent fitment. You can still run the stock 215 tyres on an 8" or you can choose to go to a 225 for a bit more grip.

4 minutes ago, Nimz said:

Yes, lower the offset, the further towards the arch they will be. Just had a look, they do those wheels in an 8" wide, 35 offset which would be a decent fitment. You can still run the stock 215 tyres on an 8" or you can choose to go to a 225 for a bit more grip.

Okay cool thanks for clearing that up. I can't find them 8 wide with 35 offset, only 38 offset wheb setting 8 wide. 

5 minutes ago, lewism1 said:

Okay cool thanks for clearing that up. I can't find them 8 wide with 35 offset, only 38 offset wheb setting 8 wide. 

I was looking at the ones below, matt black? It's only 3mm difference either way. The fronts should be more or less flush, the rears would be flush with a 10mm spacer or so but it isn't necessary.

Aq2KtRx.png

1 minute ago, Nimz said:

I was looking at the ones below, matt black? It's only 3mm difference either way. The fronts should be more or less flush, the rears would be flush with a 10mm spacer or so but it isn't necessary.

Aq2KtRx.png

Ah okay lol. Like them in matt too. Okay, I think I'll get those then. Think it's worth getting 225?

4 minutes ago, lewism1 said:

Ah okay lol. Like them in matt too. Okay, I think I'll get those then. Think it's worth getting 225?

Personal preference really, most people who are looking for better performing tyres will go slightly wider to a 225 and a higher quality tyre such as the Michelin PS4 , better grip, more predictable than the stock. Others like the stock tyres purely for the fun factor, if you don't have a problem with how your current tyres perform then you could always swap those tyres on to the new wheels and slap winter tyres on your stock wheels. 

10 minutes ago, Nimz said:

Personal preference really, most people who are looking for better performing tyres will go slightly wider to a 225 and a higher quality tyre such as the Michelin PS4 , better grip, more predictable than the stock. Others like the stock tyres purely for the fun factor, if you don't have a problem with how your current tyres perform then you could always swap those tyres on to the new wheels and slap winter tyres on your stock wheels. 

Okay! Thanks so much for the help

"Supposedly" for x8 wheel width by manufacturers (with more on safe side), min tire width 215, ideal 225 or 235, max 245. And reasonable not overdone slight stretch is not too bad or dangerous, as remove some slack from tire sidewalls, supposedly a bit sharpening handling. I wouldn't go lower then 205 on x8 though, as overstretching (there is such trend aswell among different out there, like stance lowering, hella camber and so on ..) one increases risk of tire separation from wheel.

Hmm, though there is this bit too, not sure if legally applicable @UK.