Lmc

Speakers

Just wondering if there is an alternative plug & play to the focal is165toy?

the focals were supposed to be back in stock mid july but sill nobody seems to have any stock.

my stock speakers are so bad i just turn the stereo off but it would be nice to listen to some tunes.

Worth always checking with specific seller. Been burned out often that "In Stock" is just on webshop, but in reality not, intentionally or due non-updated shop uptodate inventory numbers, with need to backorder and that time needs to be added in.

Tbh your best bet would be a pair of decent noise cancelling headphones. The Focals are an improvement but it's not night and day, you need a ton of sound deadening and a better head unit to get good sound out of an 86.

This response from PattersonLaw sums up the many 'opinions' out there:

- Are you allowed to drive in the UK whilst listening to music via a pair of headphones?
- Yes as long as there can be no suggestion that you are not in proper control of the vehicle or driving without due care and attention.

The crucial thing is whether you are excluding any chance of hearing external sounds.  If you are, then you are driving without due care and attention.

Yeah exactly they are not illegal. Noise cancelling headphones don't block everything, at least not the ones I've tried.

If you consider objectively, all of the sound insulation people are adding to doors and boots etc is essentially a very basic, heavy and inefficient form of noise cancelling. 

What I was trying to get across is the Focals are not a massive step forward. If you can't even listen to the stock speakers, you're not gonna be that impressed with just Focals either in my experience. Proper noise insulation is the only way to go for decent sound.

I agree with that.  I did a good job with acoustic insulating the four speakers and woofer in my previous CR-Z, but it's a lot of work removing the door cards and other panels.  Nowadays, I just listen to R4 and save the music for my 'big rig' at home.

On 29/07/2018 at 10:40 PM, maurice said:

Tbh your best bet would be a pair of decent noise cancelling headphones. The Focals are an improvement but it's not night and day, you need a ton of sound deadening and a better head unit to get good sound out of an 86.

Hmmm I wouldn't be so sure. You can sound deaden and seal the doors in a day. Makes a huge difference and it's not very costly nor heavy. Fortunately you just have to sneeze and the 86 interior comes apart. 

The problem for me is I'd want to do it properly if I started on that, with amps, sub and properly insulated and sealed doors which are heavy. Not happening in this car, I switched from a heavy BMW to get a light responsive car - I'm not turning it into a BMW. :)

To be honest I’m not after a massive improvement just some speakers that don’t sound like there broken will be a start

Edited by Lmc

In my opinion the cheapo Focal kit achieves exactly that. Don't get me wrong, I'd have liked to mount up some better speakers still, but that involved new mounts, new wiring, cross-overs, maybe a dedicated amp. The faff-factor is much higher, and so is the cost.

I noticed a strong improvement in the tweeters, and a good improvement in the bass, and I no longer hate the audio quality. It's a bit uneven, not helped by the cabin or road noise, but there's plenty of low end and some clarity across the spectrum. It's better than a similarly priced Sonos, both are portable speakers after a fashion...