Benjie_2

Hello EveryOne!

Well, it's very nice to be here, had my GT86 now for almost 1year loving it, before the GT86 it was the Toyota vvti which I added a sports catalyst

and a twin exhaust straight throw & even added a KnN filter, hahaha good days had that for 8 years, now the GT86 nothing more than awesome.

JyUI6Ai.jpg?1

4 hours ago, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard. :)

Any more plans afoot? 

Thank you Lauren for the warm welcome, unfortunately, I will not be doing any customization like I did to the vvti, currently I am on the hunt for service parts, been quoted £200 for a service, my garage tells me the GT86 plugs are very expensive (or) did he see me coming ? lol NOT 100% sure as I have not really looked around this site, if I am able to find parts for servicing.

10 hours ago, Benjie_2 said:

Thank you Lauren for the warm welcome, unfortunately, I will not be doing any customization like I did to the vvti, currently I am on the hunt for service parts, been quoted £200 for a service, my garage tells me the GT86 plugs are very expensive (or) did he see me coming ? lol NOT 100% sure as I have not really looked around this site, if I am able to find parts for servicing.

The plugs need changing ever 60K miles or 6 years if less. Dealer price is around £500 for a 60K service. The plugs aren't particularly expensive but they need to lift the engine slightly which means that it's a lot more about the labour cost than the parts. 

Toyota is your best option for parts for servicing. 

Lauren i love my Toyota and will do my best on a budget (not) breaking the bank! currently, my GT86 has 35k miles on a 62 plate, remember I have only had this motor just under a year, there has been some service history on it, my main concern(s) from what I have been told, I need to keep an eye on the oil level.

How true is this *does the GT86 use a lot of oil* ?? I had considered using (Engine Restorer ) from Engine Restore UK Limited, but was adviced this would be a bad idea, they told me!! they had read on this forum (ie) gt86.org.uk forum, that the Toyota GT86 engine has an AVCS VVTi engine. and would not recommend using Engine Restorer in my vehicle.

Toyota is your best option for parts for servicing. 

While agreeing with your points Lauren, first I have to shop around for other dealers selling genuine Toyota parts, before heading off to the main dealer.

@Benjie_2 it shouldn't use any more oil than any other car. YMMV of course. Mine didn't use any at all between services till 100K miles. It now seems to use  a small amount. Maybe 200ml every 10K miles. So a slight top up between services. So, no it doesn't use a lot of oil. I've no idea what 'engine restorer' is, but general consensus would be to avoid like the plague as it's probably something akin to Slick 50 or similar. It's obviously a good idea with any car to regularly check the oil levels. Some use more than others of course, normally indicative of how it is was run in. 

Genuine parts aren't going to be any cheaper than from Toyota dealers really, seeing as they sell them. You may get some parts cheaper from Toyota dealers abroad, but it depends on the exchange rate of course. Service parts are not particularly expensive anyway. 

6 hours ago, Lauren said:

@Benjie_2 it shouldn't use any more oil than any other car.

Unless it's a Mini. Burning 0w20 is an expensive habit!

Mine hasn't needed any extra oil in its 4 years of use, outside of servicing of course.