MartinT

Headlight Adjustment for the Continent

I'm driving to Belgium in a week's time and wondered if our headlights have a nice mechanical switch as in some BMWs in order to redirect the headlights for driving on the right?  Or do I need the usual self-adhesive headlight deflectors?

No there isn't any switch as such. Just get the stick on deflectors from Halfords etc. I've driven in Europe a lot and five times in the GT. I've yet to ever bother putting the deflectors on. Given it's summer it's not worth putting them on if you're not driving at night. I just take them with me and put them on if I need to. I haven't needed to yet!

Ok, thanks Lauren.  I've got the warning triangle, hi-vis jackets, alcohol testers, GB plate etc. all from the last trip (but in a different car).

Wonder how my French will cope with "this car is all-LED and doesn't need any spare bulbs"!

On 27/07/2018 at 1:18 PM, MartinT said:

Ok, thanks Lauren.  I've got the warning triangle, hi-vis jackets, alcohol testers, GB plate etc. all from the last trip (but in a different car).

Wonder how my French will cope with "this car is all-LED and doesn't need any spare bulbs"!

They don't really care about the spare bulbs thing anymore, don't worry about that.  I've not bothered with spare bulb kits for years in all honesty. I take a Hi Vis jacket. That you have the warning triangle as well is good. Also they gave up on the alcohol tester a few years ago too, so you don't need that anymore. 

& first aid kit. Imho alcohol tester is good idea by itself, even if not mandatory/regulated. Simply lets save time to know more exact when one can drive instead of waiting extra hours to be sure or going too soon by subjective feel/guess which might be wrong. So even if i rarely need it, i keep one in glovebox.

On 27/07/2018 at 10:39 AM, MartinT said:

I'm driving to Belgium in a week's time and wondered if our headlights have a nice mechanical switch as in some BMWs in order to redirect the headlights for driving on the right?  Or do I need the usual self-adhesive headlight deflectors?

Mechanical switch?! My old car would detect from the GPS and automatically swap over (or so it said, I never tried it).

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Mechanical switch?! My old car would detect from the GPS and automatically swap over (or so it said, I never tried it).

Hah - show off!