Dicks86

Seat Recommendations

Looking to get seats and harnesses for my 86. Does anyone recommend any that are good value and obviously comfortable as i use my car as a daily. 

Also any website recommendations would be great! 

Cheers

The stock seats in my 2017 BRZ are superb - supportive and comfortable.  I've no idea whether different models, Toyota/Subaru or model years have seen the seats change in design.

Stock seats are sufficient. You can't really get "comfy" bucket seats.. Let me put it this way, bucket seats will be alright for daily driving as long as you don't travel long distances, but you'll have to sacrifice some level of comfort if you want to be strapped in the seat.. unless you spend a lot of time on the track, it's not really worth it imho.

Then obviously a reasonable recommendation would be Corbeau seats.. or Recaro / Bride that you can get through us. 

Good bits for bucket seats - they have better side supports & usually weight less.

Cons - most of them are expensive, lack extras (such as heating or seating sensors for airbags), lack adjustment (and ease of adjustment if there is limited adjustment), limit visibility (especially with extra head protectors), limit ease of getting in rear for 2 door cars, way less comfortable to get in-out, may hamper proper working of stock safety belt and airbags (especially side ones). Also in some countries they might be non legal mod for car driven on public roads (mostly because not working well with stock safety mechanisms like airbags/belts and due lack of adjustment, which is also needed for safety mechanisms to work right).

Thus one has to choose according one's priorities. For example, if you track often and don't want to get bruises on knees anymore from pressing legs onto door/mid console while cornering hard, bucket seats are nice thing to have. Limited visibility might be worked around with not getting one with those head side supports. Lack of adjustment might matter less if you get seat that fits just right for you and you are the only one driving. Airbags can be switched off. Multipoint belts can be installed further better securing one in seat (but also more difficult to buckle/unbuckle for generic dailydriving).

But if you only daily drive .. or at most go to 2-5 track days per year at most and at easy pace on not too grippy tires .. imho best to stick with stock seats and enjoy their ease of generic use, and suffer through slight inconvenience at those rare track occasions :)

There is no seat option to get best of both without sacrificing something and compromising nothing. And imho not worth finding some half-assed interim compromise of jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type.

Corbeau club sports, cheap and comfy. Not sure why people say they are uncomfortable on long journeys.. travelled 3-4+ hours in mine and been absolutely fine. Same with my dads pole positions 

Everyone's different, so no point trying to recommend something comfy. People have different standards and determine comfortable differently. However, like others have said, can't see why you would bother to change your seats if you're not using it for track. Just waste of money, hassle and you will lose some of the features of the car like Church has said. But hey, I'm not your dad so you spend your money on a seat; hope you enjoy it. 

I think your best bet is to find somewhere to try seats yourself. I have found previously bucket seats vary quite alot In terms of ergonomics, let's face people come in all shapes and sizes. Then you gotta decide fixed or reclining.

There were even ones for whom (or for whose significant others) stock seats were not comfy enough for daily driving/long cruising. Saw mentions of misc. gel pillows, or bending side supports for some big bodied overweight owners and such .. i guess it's subjective thing with each having own preferences/likings. Personally i like stock seats a lot as a compromise (then again i like for same reasons stock suspension too. Not unbearable, yet more capable then average generic stock suspensions on other cars i've driven). They seem comfy to me enough yet much more side supportive then generic stock seats. If one ever goes on track with "normal seats" and gets thrown around on each turn, one knows what i'm speaking about :). Unfortunately that "better then average stock" still not "right/good enough" for track. Bruises on knees are regular thing for me :). Reminds of Initial D, where installing new race engine made Bunta to decide on bucket seats aswell :)

I think the main factor in wether your comfortable in a seat is the profile of the seat and your body shape/posture. 

I have buddy club bucket seats in the 350z and i love them. Easily drove to the ring and back with no pains/problems. The audi A3 company car with standard seats in wrecks my back doing the 40 mile commute each day. 

For some people i get that it may be the reverse. What i would say is if you want bucket seats or any aftermarket seat try before you buy! I cannot stress enough, i was all set to buy some sparco rev seats but just wanted to test them first to make sure and my bum cheeks would not fit in. Several seats later i settled on the buddy clubs as both lower and upper sections of the seats snugged my body shape perfectly. Pic below of them in the car. 

B4FD2991-BA8D-4AC7-A67A-1C9AA8C29CBA.jpeg.16893dd529fcd748eba4e16c71106b71.jpeg