benmmellor

Couple of funny noises going on.... rear shelf 'buzz' and chirping brakes when 'free wheeling'?

Ok I've got a little free time coming up and got a couple of niggles I want to try and sort out.

First one is a 'buzz' from the parcel shelf on the passenger side. It's not the same as a hollow knocking noise or the 'popping noise' as per the TSB but is a proper 'buzz' - any ideas? Plan to take off the parcel shelf and cable tie up any cabling under there and also some closed cell foam to see if that reduces or stops the noise.

Next noise is the 'chirping' brakes - not the squealing when braking as is 'expected' on stock pads which have already been 'replaced' under a warranty claim. When starting moving or just coasting to a stop I get a cheep-cheep-cheep noise like a pad is catching. This increases in frequency under faster rotation and reduces as I slow to a stop not using brakes. It does stop if I tap the brakes, but then comes back. Very noticeable when stuck on the M6 traffic conditions!

From rear parcel shelf direction most common noises are rattle from rear seat U latches and rear brake light rattling against window IIRC. Popping noise is more from early (hmm, wasn't it fixed in 2015?) boot hoods where metallic sheets making it up at some connection points produced that noise one against other at some situations (due temperature? due car shake up?)

Uneven squeeling of brakes .. most probably there is uneven deposit of brake pad material on disk rotors. (sometimes mistakenly thought of as of "warped disks", which almost never they are). I'd try some proper rebedding of brake pads so that bedded layer gets more even. Google on how to bed brakes. In most cases several heavy braking. In some cases seen "fix" shaving/machining off from rotor surface, but that seems wrong to me and overkill, and also reduces how long rotors will last.

The rear parcel shelf is well documented. Had mine done under warranty. I'm trying to remember what they did, but I think packing it out will help stop it.

Sounds like you have a bit of sintered pad that is causing the squeaking. You can take out the pad and file it down, or just ignore it. I had a pad filed down once, but it came back again, so I just ignored it.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

The rear parcel shelf is well documented. Had mine done under warranty. I'm trying to remember what they did, but I think packing it out will help stop it.

Sounds like you have a bit of sintered pad that is causing the squeaking. You can take out the pad and file it down, or just ignore it. I had a pad filed down once, but it came back again, so I just ignored it.

I'm still in 'warranty' so may try to record the rear shelf noise and see what RRG say.

Pad noise seems to have gone but have noticed that one of the rear disks isn't getting full pad contact - nice 'dirty' area consistent around the disc.. Might be a case of gettign them so look at the brakes again under warranty.

RRG will be able to fix your parcel shelf. They've done quite a few. As for the brakes you can get them to check the pads/discs. I only found it went away when I changed my pads. 

Only snag with the warranty is that noises are only covered for 3 years. Mine makes odd noises from a couple of places and RRG won’t sort it under warranty :(

12 hours ago, Lowe said:

Only snag with the warranty is that noises are only covered for 3 years. Mine makes odd noises from a couple of places and RRG won’t sort it under warranty :(

I had my rear parcel shelf sorted when my car about three months old. It seemed to be a common problem at the time. 

13 hours ago, Lowe said:

My local dealer didn't have any problems sorting the parcel shelf creaking at 4 years.

Finally had some time at home so spent my lunch break taking the rear shelf out to see if I could figure out what the 'buzz' is between 2k and 3k RPM.

Turns out it's most likely the 3rd brake light is the culprit. Short of swapping it out - what have other people done to get rid of the buzz/rattle? I've already packed out under the shelf with foam - but it's not made much difference.

Is it defo from the parcel shelf?  My sub was causing a buzz/rattle at certain frequencies, and it was a couple of the cables in the rear light cluster that was causing it. 

There was also a bit of a buzzing from a small section at the centre of the parcel shelf which I packed from underneath with some thick plastic bag stuff (only thing I had to hand).

I've now got a new rattle from the interior light thingy now, cant win 😭

well thats the annoying squeaks and buzzing gone.

Buzzing was the light itself - mainly the underside element beneath the lens. There's 2 legs that should clip into notches inside and these were not hooked in - also added some silentcoat strips to reduce any other buzz.

Brakes now seem to be a lot better - been at TD for a service, current pads were down to about 3000 miles left so swapped them to new pads, also they thought one of the rear shields was just catching the disk to that had a little percussive adjustment. drive back was sqeal/squeak and chirp free!