benmmellor

Clutch spring - remove or replace (MTEC)

thinking of that - the clutch 'feel' is too on/off in comparison to other cars I've driven where you can get a bit more control feeling the clutch bite.

May see if Mike can fit the clutch spring in next week whilst it's in @ TD.

There is no extra clutch itself wear from there being or not extra spring in pedal assembly. If TOB is at same distance to not cause clutch drag, (and it should be, as there is extra dead travel both prior bite point, and after complete engage, while pedal still goes up), there is no impact on clutch wear.

Some, that overdid clutch pedal travel adjustment and removed too much dead travel till bite point, sometimes get extra clutch drag even during supposedly completely disengaged clutch, adding extra wear, and making some gears harder to engage. But clutch pedal spring shouldn't cause/change that.

I guess spring in question was added by toyobaru to make clutch operating easier with less force required, as that spring both adds extra pressing in force when one presses pedal in, and pressing up force, when it goes past mid up. Unfortunately it also robs from ease of feeling clutch bite point, which people doing this mod try to fix, requiring more to muscle memory position of bite point instead of feeling it. Removing pedal spring or replacing it with less firm one makes pedal a bit harder to press, but also makes easier to feel "difference" at bite point pre-post.

Imho mtec spring is "safe" enough for those that still "fear" that it may affect somewhat clutch operation or still want some mild assist in press force required, but that's subjective thing. Some prefer removing pedal spring alltogether as they want even less assist/even more feel and removing is cheaper then buying different replacement. That said it's about stock clutch in most cases. I've seen cases where some owners installed spring back if used on much heavier aftermarket clutch, as w/o that spring assist it was too tiring/uncomfortable to operate on daily basis very heavy clutch itself.

I replaced with the MTEC spring. The clutch feels much more natural now. I toyed with the idea of removing entirely, but the spring serves the dual purpose of making the clutch pedal feel lighter when depressed, but it also keeps it fully raised when released...as said, if you remove the spring entirely, the pedal will have some slack at the top.

Did a write up here: http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic13209_post178699.html#178699