Kryostasis

Tapping/Knocking Noise

I've got a strange tapping/knocking noise coming from the front left, it's mainly when im turning my wheel to the left at low speeds and on full lock at low speeds however it sometimes occurs turning the wheel right also.

I thought it was the top mounts and had it confirmed by a garage but after replacing the top mounts the problem still exists so i'm confused as to what else it could be. See video in the link below for an example of the noise, it's louder in person and can be heard outside the car also.

Has anyone come across this kind of issue before or have any ideas? I'm guessing it's going to need to go in to Toyota however after the mess they made during my last service with them i'm trying to avoid this :(.

Almost sounds like a creaking to me? Is the car stock? I had a similar noise from my seat ibiza and was caused by the springs coming out of their perch, the noise was the spring rotating on the perch..

Really the only things which break or wear out are

Bushes
Wheel bearing
Top mounts
Some cars have seperate bearings between the top mounts and shock
The spring itself

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Creaking probably a better way of describing noise yeah. Suspension on the car is stock currently yeah, any mods on it can't be related except the front strut brace but I took that off and it's the same.

I thought about wheel bearing but you'd normally feel that.

51 minutes ago, Kryostasis said:

I thought about wheel bearing but you'd normally feel that.

It's not the wheel bearing. You would hear it at speed, but you wouldn't feel it. 

Just now, Cerastes said:

I'm more worried about your fuel light on. Living on the edge. 

I live a mile from a Shell garage don't worry haha. Plus i ain't driving currently because of the issue.

For anyone interested or having a similar noise in the future. This turned out to be due to brake line being tangled, weird one. Basically it looks like the mechanic who changed my brake pads (my own fault for being lazy and not doing it myself) wrapped the brake line around part of the car when reconnecting. This meant that as I turned the wheel the cable went taut and tightened causing the noise in the video.

Lesson to be learned, don't be lazy kids. Do any work you can on your car yourself.

1 hour ago, maurice said:

He probably took the caliper off to push the pistons back in, and somehow twisted it around before refitting? Bit crap though. Pay a pro to do a job worse than the average DIY'er.

It gets worse when the guy couldn't diagnose his own fault he caused, changed top mounts on his advise and then when that failed he just said he had no idea.

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

What I really don't understand is why you'd need to touch the brake lines at all when just changing pads. Or maybe use a better mechanic?

Yeah i've moved to a different mechanic now, issue is I haven't lived in this area long so haven't got to know any local mechanics enough to know whos good and who's bad. I do the majority of the work on my car though generally unless I get completely stumped, this was just laziness that I didnt change the pads myself.

9 hours ago, Paul said:

This is why I go to Abbey or Fensport if I need any work doing, unless it's something I can do myself.

Didn't want to drive 100 miles with an unknown fault xD