gavin_t

NA tune or turbo that is my dilema....

After many emails harassing various tuning companies I have finally settled on using tuning developments to do some work on my car.

I am just stuck with what route to take Ermm

Currently a stock Gt86 with chassis mods only. It is a weekend only road car that sees a few track days a year.

>NA tune package - no more torque dip, should be a vast improvement for not too much outlay and a good stepping stone.

>turbo package - will probably end up here at some point and they have offered me a great deal on a drive in and drive out service including oil cooler, baffled sump and a few extras that I would need to make the car suitable for track use.

Can always step up to the turbo setup in the future but its about a grand more to do it this way. So could be a waste if I am going to do it anyway...

argh decisions decisions haha LOL

Anyone done the route of having both types of setup? Would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm actually having the same dilemma myself.  Originally planned to go NA tune package but on second thoughts,  and knowing I'll end up going turbo not too long after, I'm looking at just going straight for the turbo.  In discussion with Mike at the moment about some concerns and some suspension work being done at the same time.  Only difference is I use it as a daily and don't plan on tracking for a few years. 

I have the Header package from TD and its really made the car much more fun, would 100% recommend. Personally I plan on sorting out the rest of the performance aspects (coilovers/ brakes/ wheels/ catback) before spending out on the turbo. 

The good thing about the TD setup is that the turbo upgrade is cheaper after getting the headers installed as they are x-compatible. I don't think many packages offer this.

When I had my headers fitted, I did get to have a ride in Mikes Turbo'ed 86 and it was epic (the noise alone is worth the money :)).

I have to be honest, now that I've had my N/A tuned '86 for 2 years, I wish I'd gone straight for the turbo. I know it's a much higher outlay up front, and the N/A package does make the car much more capable, it's just that for me personally the N/A package increase just isn't enough given how capable the car is elsewhere. It's not the right decision for everyone but if you have the money, I'd go straight for the turbo up front.

There are not much NA bolt-on kits that can be easily converted to turbo. Then again there is still supercharger option. My advise would be to simply go out on some trackday with stock car first. Then get as passenger in some NA tuned and FI tuned (or as driver, if you manage someone to let that). THEN do decision.

My own choice would be NA + performance suspension mods for more camber (and maybe even without boltons, just eg. ecu tune + drop-in airfilter), with almost all money going to fuel/tires/pads/for track itself.

Imho it's best to pay for making self better driver and having more of actual go-fast fun, then halve or leave even less then that of budget for driving itself, spending most of money on making car faster. Even more so if making engine more powerful will wear heavier all the rest in car & will rise costs elsewhere too, brakes, transmission, suspension, clutch, etc., asking on upgrades or much sooner replacements for those too, unlike in NA car. Crashes also may happen at higher speeds, thus less margin of error, less forgiving, higher risks, more expensive repairs. Not good for learning :).

If there is spare budget, +oil cooler/BBK/struts or coilovers of low budget range. But most of money - on track wearables and just drive, drive, drive :)

Funny, but i'd think more of forced induction in daily driven only car. If there is no real track fun, then at very least some push in straight line as poor substitute. Luckily i discovered how fun track can be before that and got new addiction :D

1. Definitely worthwhile trying stock car on track, its quite capable:)

2. TD NA tune is an easy option - imo one of the best modes you can do (and if you decide to go with FI turbo kit later you would be 1/3 there already)

3. Then its a choice depending on what you aim for, reasons for upgrade, budget, etc, etc...

I went for BBK and suspension upgrade and new wheels first. Good for weekend driving and occasional track days. Does not raise maintenance costs (if anything with BBK you should be able to save on pads somewhat) and unless you make suspension stiffer not much difference for daily driving.

But then... I have made my mind by now and my GT 86 will be making a trip to Warrington end of this month:D

2 hours ago, maurice said:

Has anyone with a TD turbo kit tracked it regularly yet? No suggestion it's not capable, just that I've not come across anyone who does track one.

I should be able to tell you in a few month:lol: I will give it a proper test end of August...

On 05/07/2018 at 5:19 PM, maurice said:

Has anyone with a TD turbo kit tracked it regularly yet? No suggestion it's not capable, just that I've not come across anyone who does track one.

From talking to Mike they have a couple of customers that track them regular. Intake Temps remain stable and with an oil cooler and baffled sump on he feels it will be more then happy on track

I've done quite a few track days now. And have been identifying things to change as I go. Power is where I have put my money on to next. 

I am sure the na will give me what I need but from having a car converted  forced induction car in the past I know the difference it makes. 

From further thinking I am now swaying to the na kit as I feel I will miss the opertunity to try it that way first...

The na would keep to the cars natural characteristics.. Otherwise I'd sc over turbo for a next step

I've done quite a few track days now. And have been identifying things to change as I go. Power is where I have put my money on to next. 
I am sure the na will give me what I need but from having a car converted  forced induction car in the past I know the difference it makes. 
From further thinking I am now swaying to the na kit as I feel I will miss the opertunity to try it that way first...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 05/07/2018 at 5:19 PM, maurice said:

Me next year :)

On 05/07/2018 at 5:46 PM, Paul said:

I have to be honest, now that I've had my N/A tuned '86 for 2 years, I wish I'd gone straight for the turbo. I know it's a much higher outlay up front, and the N/A package does make the car much more capable, it's just that for me personally the N/A package increase just isn't enough given how capable the car is elsewhere. It's not the right decision for everyone but if you have the money, I'd go straight for the turbo up front.

I agree with you. I went down the NA route and now wish I had more power. i.e forced induction 

The NA kit is amazing and I have enjoyed it no end with some great results that some of you know about, the handling is pretty much where I want it in respect of suspension etc...

The car went for engine work and FI this weekend so the time has come for me, but I wouldn't have missed the NA stage. Depends on use and to be fair mine is only for track and driving to shows, good luck with your choice and if I can be of any help just shout.

Ah my thread has been brought back to life.

Fyi I got the TD na pack and am happy with the decision. 

After a few track days with it fitted I am happy with the power for now as it has made enough of a difference to stock to make it more fun and drivable.