JakeGT86

I’m Back but with a problem 🤷‍♂️

Hey all, haven’t posted in a while as I’ve neen busy with work and after time fiddling with the car haven’t felt like posting much. Finally sorted out my taillights and fitted some new wheels so I’ll post pictures of that at a later date when I can. 

Everything was going good tho till yesterday when a silly lady not from around he area reversed into my car. Have to sort it out with insurance today but I thought I’d get some advice off your guys on what the repair process will be and how much you guys think it’ll cost.

pics below 

71470B7B-20B7-43E4-8754-7D23DD26C331.jpeg

ADF1D86F-A3CB-46E3-9009-530AD3523C56.jpeg

3DEDFD23-E3BD-487B-A1A1-643E095AD004.jpeg

F3498904-ECAE-4CFB-B668-FF3732C7058F.jpeg

27268C91-3EBB-4A38-823D-01CEF72FE38D.jpeg

I'd expect your insurance premium to go up £50-100 regardless of blame, but you shouldn't be liable for excess or anything of the sort.

It looks like it hasn't snapped any of the mounts off as the bumper is still sitting flush. That's good from the perspective of the repairer.  Official channels will source a new bumper, spray it to match your car, install the original parking sensors (possibly) and fit to the car. A bumper loses a lot of its safety properties after it has been stressed, so they will err toward replacement whether it needs it or not. I'd guess £700 or something, which may inflate rapidly depending on what the repair shop thinks they can get away with.

The thing to check will be that the reversing sensors are behaving properly after the repair before you get too far from the garage.

I'd like to be proven wrong. I reckon the industry is in dire need of a crackdown. Half of them operate out of Gibraltar where regulations flimsy, protection rackets with repair shops, extortionate supply chain prices and so on.

I think it's a product of the passive factors which tend to precede more incidents  .e.g  dodgy junctions, risky areas to park and so on, but it's unjust all the same.

Insurance will go up anyway it went up for most people last year, they blamed it on Brexit and Brexit hasn't even happened yet :lol:. But I agree and have always said insurance companies here take us for idiots but unfortunately we have to pay the prices they give as it's the law. 

What's to stop them all putting everyone's insurance no matter what age you are, male or female, what car you have, where you live, no matter what they put it up £100 next year for everyone. We all have to pay it. /Rant

3 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

I'd expect your insurance premium to go up £50-100 regardless of blame, but you shouldn't be liable for excess or anything of the sort.

It looks like it hasn't snapped any of the mounts off as the bumper is still sitting flush. That's good from the perspective of the repairer.  Official channels will source a new bumper, spray it to match your car, install the original parking sensors (possibly) and fit to the car. A bumper loses a lot of its safety properties after it has been stressed, so they will err toward replacement whether it needs it or not. I'd guess £700 or something, which may inflate rapidly depending on what the repair shop thinks they can get away with.

The thing to check will be that the reversing sensors are behaving properly after the repair before you get too far from the garage.

Thanks for all of that, that explains it all really ... the insurance company are quite vague with it all but they’re chasing it up so we will see what they say from there! I’m hoping they do replace the whole bumper as like you said something has probably been dislodged on one of he brackets somewhere so a simple paint job won’t really do it... or the best scenario besides that is the give me the money myself so I can source it myself as I believe I know what I’m looking for a lot better then the insurance company 😂

I’m regards to insurance in the UK it definitely is a rip off and they definitely think we’re all idiots and don’t know anything about cars. I have to pay like 2000 for mine and I know most old people pay like 100 for an old banger and somethingthat I can drive 100 times better then them without sounding like a d*ck 

3 hours ago, Church said:

For one completely not at fault to have insurance premium rise .. that seems SO wrong with insurance over at UK for you guys :/

Stats show once you are hit, you change driving habits and can become nervous and more likely to be involved in another accident. I think it's bollocks but that's what they say 

That's what UK insurance companies say. No such thing as rising premiums if not at fault @LV. And if my experience counts any, all from my friends/relatives/colleagues, if happen to get in accident, drive much more carefully during time after. Not more nervous, more carefully/attentive/with larger safety margin.

The black plastic "diffuser" is damaged so that will be a while bumper replacement as they won't be able to replicate the texture of the plastic. I would have thought.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, JakeGT86 said:

I’m regards to insurance in the UK it definitely is a rip off and they definitely think we’re all idiots and don’t know anything about cars. I have to pay like 2000 for mine and I know most old people pay like 100 for an old banger and somethingthat I can drive 100 times better then them without sounding like a d*ck 

Old folks get stung for being old, cheapest is middle aged.

I’m an idiot, i Only got a partial plate! I know it begins with CP18 and also the make, model and colour of the car... I can imagine it vividly now but the insurance can’t go ahead without the rest of the reg. Anyone know how I can get he rest of it tho? I did take down the ladies number to contact her about it fully after but now she won’t answer my calls or text, what a bummer 😡😡

18 hours ago, sam534 said:

The black plastic "diffuser" is damaged so that will be a while bumper replacement as they won't be able to replicate the texture of the plastic. I would have thought.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

its a seperate trim piece that clips in 
could repair the bumper and just buy a new valance/diffuser 

2 hours ago, JakeGT86 said:

I’m an idiot, i Only got a partial plate! I know it begins with CP18 and also the make, model and colour of the car... I can imagine it vividly now but the insurance can’t go ahead without the rest of the reg. Anyone know how I can get he rest of it tho? I did take down the ladies number to contact her about it fully after but now she won’t answer my calls or text, what a bummer 😡😡

Tell her you'll be reporting to the police for failing to exchange details if she doesn't respond within 24 hours.

6 hours ago, JakeGT86 said:

Surely you got her address? Did you not think to take pics of her car including the plate? 

I took pics of her car and the part of her car which contacted mine and in the panic of it all, I’ve missed half the plate it only contains the first 4 characters... that’s how I know it’s CP18 but I’m Gunna try and pull some cctv from the local shop it was in tomorrow to help my argument and see if we can get the rest of it  

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

Get a quote the cost will probably be less than your excess so do not bother your insurance, scuffed bumper probably be £130

Why put himself out of pocket? You don't pay your excess for non-fault damage, so that doesn't matter.

If you go to the insurance company your next year premium will probably increase it is not always wise to make small claims. Remember if you have witnesses you can always use the small claims court for a no fault claim

Got hit in a different car and even many years ago the cost was more than £130. The issue is that there is polystyrene behind the bumper and it's a one time use so whilst my bumper had no more than a couple of inches gouge in it and not out of shape at all so could have been smart repaired the polystyrene had done its job and was pancaked So bumper off job increasing cost.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

If you go to the insurance company your next year premium will probably increase it is not always wise to make small claims. Remember if you have witnesses you can always use the small claims court for a no fault claim

If you try to pursue the other driver directly they are well within their rights (and would be sensible to) direct you to their insurance company. At which point it's back to an insurance claim. Far easier to just go through insurance to start with.