Sign in to follow this  
ThatGuyThere

HKS Supercharger failed after less than 10k miles

Hi

Just wanted to share my experience with the HKS supercharger (V2). I bought a car with it fitted, and it failed shortly afterwards. It was fitted by experts, but the failure seems to be down to poor design inside the supercharger unit.

I know there's a lot of people out there who have experienced similar, and of course many more who have never had an issue! That said, I'd strongly recommend avoiding this kit - the design is clearly not the best, and after-sales support non-existant.

Many thanks for @Mark@Abbey M/S for his help diagnosing this, and a public apologiy for the delay in returning the Ecutek equipment he kindly lent me - sorry again Mark.

So, car's going back to almost standard as I am looking to buy a house now so it's being sold - if anyone is interested in the HKS oil cooler, coilovers, rota titan wheels, HKS manifold, or a beautiful and immense-sounding exhaust, PM me. I'll be posting adverts and listing them on eBay shortly afterwards.

Stupendous car while owning it - even after the SC failed, it was still an event driving every time - partly down to that exhaust :D

I have heard mixed things about this kit

Good to hear that Mark has been of great help again, always hearing good things about him and Abbey.

could be interested in the titans depending on size etc. Feel free to fire me a PM :);)

3 hours ago, dom2497 said:

What is wrong with the design? Not really a fair cop making accusations without some sort of detail!

Oddly quite a few failures in Russia but more in the USA.

The last one out of 4 HKS SCs in Russia that I know died this week. V2. Went about 13000 km at 0.6 bar and stopped blowing after couple of weeks at 1 bar (14 psi). So far - best result for a HKS SC smile.gif The owner is on this forum and probably will post details later.

P.S, Probably such remarkable longevity is thanks to no tracking/drifting unlike other cars with failed HKS SCs.

Well, I hate to say it but here I am back, the originator of this thread.
My blower appears to have just failed. It was a replacement which I paid for and received in Jan 2016 after waiting 6 months for it to arrive from Japan.
I was getting zero boost so removed and checked the blower. It is in exactly the same state as others I saw on this thread that failed in Russia. The annulus has separated at the threads. I bought this from HKS North America's recommended dealer at the time.

I am massively disappointed and moreover if HKS denies fault for the same failure seen multiple times here now I will make a lot of noise.

On 22/06/2018 at 2:17 PM, dom2497 said:

What is wrong with the design? Not really a fair cop making accusations without some sort of detail!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Making accusations? It's failed. I own it, I've seen it with my own eyes. It's a perfectly fair cop!

To answer your question, it seems that the threading on the housing is just not capable of doing the job it is asked to do. Mine has failed in the exact same way as the photos in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89226&page=6

Seems many people have had the same issue. As there are other manufacturers offering different designs I would urge people to avoid the HKS unit alltogether.

I did email HKS Europe and had no reply at all. Seems to be a running theme reading through that thread - HKS are to be avoided in this area.

Making accusations? It's failed. I own it, I've seen it with my own eyes. It's a perfectly fair cop!

I was not questioning that you had a failure, I was asking you to backup your statement that the design was flawed by giving some actual technical detail of the poor design, rather than making a sweeping statement with no detail like you did in your first post.36bc9d619870baee2e81af4f8f8cffa5.jpg

On 16/08/2018 at 6:50 PM, dom2497 said:

I was not questioning that you had a failure, I was asking you to backup your statement that the design was flawed by giving some actual technical detail of the poor design, rather than making a sweeping statement with no detail like you did in your first post.36bc9d619870baee2e81af4f8f8cffa5.jpg

If you've got nothing nice to say...