Sign in to follow this  
Rob_86

Exhaust install help

I've just recently bought a cat back exhaust, I'm looking to install it my self, just wondering what people recommend I use, either car ramps on axle stands? 

I've done mine on a lift at work. You can do it on axle stands but obviously it's not going to be as comfortable. Other than that you don't need anything except basic tools to undo clamps, hangers etc.

Make sure you put plenty of lube on all the bolts to reduce chance of snapping, same applies with hangers to make it much easier to pry out. I'd also recommend new gaskets as the stock ones could fall apart when you take the exhaust off meaning you will have one blowing exhaust!

Yeah man, I used axle stands when I fitted my Greddy evo4 cat back last year. It's a bit of a pain in the arse because your squirming round on the floor but it's not too bad. I found the 2 spring bolts that attach to the cat pipe the biggest pain just because of ground clearance but it on now and nice and load 🤣🤣 don't forget a bit of WD40 too mate, just helps the rubbers a long a bit 😊

A ramp would be nice but i find most my cars are too low to use them on so always used axle stands. Jacking up the rear is simple as from memory you can place it under the diff. Have some exhaust assembly paste ready as most have a slip on joint between the two sections. If it's an older car plus gas will help free up stubborn bolts