Sign in to follow this  
GT86Bob

Road trip to Italy

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you are in Europe almost every month recently! :D I am planning on getting the GT through France down to Nice, Cannes, Monaco and up in Italy this July on my way to Eastern Europe (>3k miles). I'd be glad if you can share at the end of the journey how much you spent on Toll taxes in France and Italy. as I will be taking similar route with the exception that will carry on south to Nice instead of passing the border to Italy. Also will keep following your blog for interesting places that we can stop and visit. 

Me and the girlfriend are planning on doing the same thing. Take it easy &  stop and enjoy nice places along the route and book hotels on the go so we don't rush to get to the hotel every day. 

Regards Ivan! 

@vanko25 you can get a Sanef toll tag to put in your car so that don't have to keep stopping and paying cash on the Peage. If it's any help through France to Switzerland was about €40 each way. Tolls on the autostrada in Italy are a bit annoying and you can end up feeling like you are constantly stopping to pay at times. The prices in Italy seem to vary a lot. 

On my second trip to the Alps I realised that it was easy to cross over to Germany in Strasbourg and German autobahns have no tolls and are de-restricted of course all they way to Austria. I know that's not your route though, but it could be a good way back from Eastern Europe possibly. 

Enjoy your trip, Bob, glad you got to visit Reims-Gueux. :)

@Lauren thanks for the info. I will look into the toll tag as it might be easier to do it that way rather than stopping at every toll booth as it is pain to wait 30 minutes each time.

I originally thought driving all the way through Belgium-Germany-Austria to Bulgaria to enjoy the Autobahn and probably pay Nuburgring a visit but the girlfriend suggested France and Italy will be more interesting for both of us :D 

From what I looked online there will be another €50 going to Nice and Autostrada tolls will be another €50. Although we always can get off the motorway and take the back roads and enjoy the scenery. 

@GT86Bob thanks for posting the map on the blog. That gave me some great ideas where can stop and do some car related stuff :)

@vanko25I would honestly say you're missing a trick if you don't do the Alps. Not much is more interesting than that. The Italian Dolomites are just stunning. Did the Hahntennjoch and Grossglockener in Austria before heading down to Cortina D'Ampezzio in Italy. I would say that's pretty interesting and the Italian Alps are just astonishing. Think of the food! 

I kinda stolen Bob's thread but thanks all for the suggestions! 

I get a beta map in Google my maps that covers Route Napoleon, French Riviera, Stelvio Pass, A bit from Italy, Cortina D'Ampezzio, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Transfăgărășan (Mountain pass in Carpathians) and then down to my home town. Should be hell of a drive and with no set time bounds we will take our time and stop here and there and book hotels on the go. I will create my own topic just before we leave. 

The babe already got the later Aero wheels with PS4s and is due springs and 4 wheel alignment at Fensport on Wednesday.  Soon after I will be heading to RRG for service and to make sure it will be able to that long euro trek. :D Can't wait to leave my daily Saab and get into the GT86 for the rest of the summer! 

P.S. Link to the map

On 6/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, vanko25 said:

I kinda stolen Bob's thread but thanks all for the suggestions! 

I get a beta map in Google my maps that covers Route Napoleon, French Riviera, Stelvio Pass, A bit from Italy, Cortina D'Ampezzio, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Transfăgărășan (Mountain pass in Carpathians) and then down to my home town. Should be hell of a drive and with no set time bounds we will take our time and stop here and there and book hotels on the go. I will create my own topic just before we leave. 

The babe already got the later Aero wheels with PS4s and is due springs and 4 wheel alignment at Fensport on Wednesday.  Soon after I will be heading to RRG for service and to make sure it will be able to that long euro trek. :D Can't wait to leave my daily Saab and get into the GT86 for the rest of the summer! 

P.S. Link to the map

You are joining the Route Napoleon quite late there, it starts from just South of Grenoble and goes via Gap and Sisteron.

Also another tip, there's an incredible back road that goes between Troyes and Dijon, follows the banks of the Seine for a while. It's always been amazing, but last time I came back on it, half of it had been resurfaced with Brands Hatch quality tarmac! Even saves you some toll money, and quiet with plenty of overtaking points so won't slow you down.

Thanks for the suggestions @maurice ! 

I was following the route that was suggested on a website. I have altered the map now with all the suggestions. I am open to this kind of suggestions as I want to spend as little time on the motorway as possible. I do 120 miles motorway driving a day, could do with some scenic driving. :D

Less than a month left now, can't wait for these open roads where I can drive the car where it is supposed to be driven. Not to mention all that French food and beer :D

No probs. I've done this route to the South a few times... motorcycle, car and bicycle!

I have another suggestion of a good driving road that's en-route, the road from Bourg-en-Bresse to Chambery. It used to be the N504, but looking at google maps seems to have been renamed to the D1504 now. This is a more direct way to the start of the Route Napoleon and is a great way to get warmed up for the Alps. Good 75 mile long or so.

The Troyes-Dijon route, I'd recommend not going through Troyes as per your route, and just getting off the autoroute the first junction after it. I've driven through Troyes and while it's not terrible you could do without the hassle. That road is about 100 miles long and a cracker. Going through my notes the correct route is N71 > D901 > D996. You have the start of the route right with the N71, but need to go via the villages of Moloy and Saussy for the D901 and D996 respectively. I think the last turning is actually signposted as the heavy goods route to Dijon, but is well worth doing with a fair few 2nd gear hairpins tucked away. The first time I ever got my knee down on a motorbike was on one of these, some nice technical corners.