Herbie86

tip for the auto

We have an auto. I did not like the occasional elastic band surging feeling,   occasional bouncy changes and always disliked the lurch when starting from standing.  I too checked for harm with the Snow mode trick but could not get a straight answer.
Solution: have just fitted the differential bush inserts part KDT925 by Whiteline. There was no noticeable increase in noise/vibration/harshness, a 60% improvement in the surging and a 100% improvement in the starting lurch.  Even the wife noticed it. 
Cost $60 - $80 and simple enough to DIY  or get it done next time the car is up on the hoist. It is a no-brainer for the auto imho. 

elastic band surging feeling? Lurch?

I’ve never noticed this on my car. 2014 auto with about 19k on the clock.

Even after nearly 20k miles of nothing but track days, its still as tight as a drum.

Is your car high miles or was the factory bush tired out?

Only 49000Km , never tracked, been like it from new 2013.    Try comparing starting off in Normal mode then again in Snow Mode to highlight the lurch.  If you don't notice it then count yourself lucky.

Interesting.

I tried setting off in snow mode as you said and even though I still dont really get a lurch as such I think I understand what you mean with the difference in the way it pulls away normal vs snow mode.

Is it first gear where you notice this most? Because 1st slips and but 2nd upwards has full lockup.

In snow mode im 99% sure it pulls away in 2nd and therefore skips over the gear with all the slip.

The slip could be something to do with it and I confirmed Snow Mode always starts in 2nd.  Maybe the throttle mapping is sub-optimal for 1st gear starts in our particular car. Prior to the inserts  I could avoid the lurch by gentle starts but that required a deliberate effort.  No problem now.  Changes in Drive feel a bit smoother and the paddle changes crisper too which to me points to sloppiness in the drive train somewhere.

Apart from the start lurch (which was always tolerable but always felt unrefined), the other surging was always noticeable in  2nd if I paddled down to it to push out of a corner. I always put it down to twisting / untwisting of the tail shaft. That is 60% improved with the diff inserts.

If anyone is tempted to do this simple and inexpensive mod, start off lurch or not, I think you will feel a refinement. The fact that it is available suggests it is valid.

There's a youtube somewhere with a camera behind the diff that shows about 30mm of rocking.   

Interesting video. I can see how these bushes make a difference to the way the car feels.

I don't think i'd specifically go out of my way to do this mod as I'm happy the way the car feels, but if in the future the rear subframe ever needs to come off I'd definitely make sure I did this mod whilst everything is being removed anyway.

That's a bit of interesting right there! I heard that sub frame bushings actually make quite a difference, but seeing it in action is really interesting. Might well be worth the investment! 😀

I fitted the Superpro version a while back, definitely worth doing. Did it on my last car as well.

For a DIY job I'd give it a Haynes 3/5 spanner rating, as on the 86 as soon as you remove the bolts the subframe shifts a little and you need to line it back up perfectly with a jack.

You need to be really careful threading them back in or you are in deep shit if it cross threads. It's not rocket science, but do not do this job in a rush!

Yep! Think I'll be giving that a shot after Japfest 😀 I've got 2 jacks so one can take some of the strain of the subframe weight as I jiggle it back into place.

I've looked at them before and they're not too expensive, especially if they make that much different. Guess that's the next project ... as well as induction ... and maybe a strut brace 🤣🤣🤣