Cerastes

Intec 3rd Brake Light

Hi all, 

Is anyone else having issues with the 3rd Brake light not sticking to the glass? 

It was ok when I bought it, but since having the back window tinted it had to be removed to do that. I then kind of knew it wouldn't stick after that; but the plastic tab also snapped. So I cleaned the glass and applied more 3M tape and glued the plastic tab. Then not sure how long that lasted but again found it hanging. 

I then tried Gorilla tape; which by the way is absolutely awful to cut/apply as it's so sticky and just doesn't cut easily at all. Obviously cleaned glass and brake light again before applying. Just got in the car today after not using it for a week and found it hanging again. 

Any suggestions?

Mine is not Intec's but Wheelhaus CF one. Imho there is some correlation with unsticking double sided tape & direct sunlight & heat in summer.

One can use special 3M primer .. but it will make it almost permanent glue on hard to remove if needed.

Imho it would be nice to manufacture some springy bracket of sorts, that could be hidden out of sight within brake light body, and would press it against window in addition to doublesided tape.

Mine has fallen off this week, going to try sticking it back on with new 3M tape. Someone over in ft86 club made a metal bracket that bolts into the ceiling which sounds like a good plan.

Well I wouldn't really want to remove it at all, except if I wanted to sell the car and the new owner wanted it completely stock. But I wouldn't want to sell it any time soon. 

Brackets would be handy, not sure how they would fit in though? I'm sure that would involve some sort of drilling/cutting/modding?

Do you have a link? Thanks. 

Mine is well stuck on again now. I used 3M VHB tape, the transparent stuff, it's stupidly sticky. I also added an extra piece of tape at the front of the brake light to reduce the twisting load on the rear tape.

KIMG0037.thumb.jpg.e4d6cbb76652a1ee881899a55f45790a.jpg

KIMG0038.thumb.jpg.7f0a4717272b0d048c1c0b5d1af42f69.jpg

Extra tape can be added on sides too, i guess. BTW, you guys with intec's .. no issues with fogging that area during winter? If yes, how do you deal with that?

1 hour ago, Church said:

Extra tape can be added on sides too, i guess. BTW, you guys with intec's .. no issues with fogging that area during winter? If yes, how do you deal with that?

You could, but the sides are a bit narrow to get decent adhesion.

It does fog in the winter a bit, I just leave it fogged.

I don't think I have had issues with fogging. Only problem with putting tape on the front is you end up with it showing quite badly on the glass and there isn't a great deal of contact on that either. To be honest it is a poor design I think. It could do with more surface area to stick to the glass. 

Was thinking of some sort of flat piece of plastic that can go along underneath where it sticks and wedge it in between each side of the roof liner on the sides of the car. The roof liner will hold the plastic up against the brake light; I think.