MartinT

Groaning After Starting

My BRZ has started groaning just after a cold start.  It seems to be coming from just behind me and isn't linked to engine revs or gear.  It seems to fade away completely after warming up.  Is there a fuel pump back there somewhere?  The car is just over a year old and due for its first service soon.

Hard to understand from just word groaning what exactly of noise it is.

Maybe take some video to better show or try to be more descriptive/more detailed what/where produces that noise and of what type of noise?

As it fades away after warming up, without knowing anything else, i'd suspect exhaust / thermal expansion / rubbing of exhaust somewhere.

If 'groaning' is closer to some whistling .. by chance not more often in wet/rainy weather? Maybe belt is worn/slips & needs to be tensioned or replaced? Though "from just behind me" stands against this theory.

Better description...

It's like a low hum, not metallic rubbing, scraping or anything like that.  It makes this low frequency groan/hum (like a motor with a bad bearing) just after starting and without even moving the car.  The sound appears to be coming from behind me, not from the engine bay.  Once I start driving I lose it in the general noise and then once it's warmed up it's gone.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Better description...

It's like a low hum, not metallic rubbing, scraping or anything like that.  It makes this low frequency groan/hum (like a motor with a bad bearing) just after starting and without even moving the car.  The sound appears to be coming from behind me, not from the engine bay.  Once I start driving I lose it in the general noise and then once it's warmed up it's gone.

Could it possibly be the fuel pump chirp?

I did wonder but it's more of a constant low level groan than a chirp.  Where is the fuel pump located, I can try and pinpoint it a little more the next time I start the car.

low hum from behind of driver? Hmm. Maybe it's just what you hear from exhaust itself during cold starts that passes through our not well noise insulated car body? Or something vibrates in trunk/rear seat/other interior bits in rear due more vibrations during cold starts?

Not a clue mate. Used to do it all the time when it was new. Now it doesn't seem to do it. Like yours it came from behind me. My guess was it was something to do with the evap system. 

Does it do it stationary or when the car moves?

8 hours ago, MartinT said:

I did wonder but it's more of a constant low level groan than a chirp.  Where is the fuel pump located, I can try and pinpoint it a little more the next time I start the car.

Pump is in the tank.